Get your finances in order for 2017 with the help of these handy apps.
We might not have flying cars yet, but in the world of financial apps, the future is definitely here. 2017 is the time to get your finances organised once and for all by finding an app that’s designed to help where you need it most.
Whatever your financial needs, there’s an app out there for you.
Get your finances organised
- Perfect for: People who want an easier way to organise numerous expenses, or who just want to take a good, clear look at their current finances.
- Good for: Anyone in Australia with their own bank account.
Pocketbook is an all-in-one Australian personal finance app that can link to your bank accounts and cards and can automatically track expenses, bills, debts and almost anything else.
- Link to bank accounts and credit cards. Track your spending with a closer realtime look at your incoming and outgoing cash flow.
- Add a spending limit. You can set up a safe spending limit to help you budget and save. You can even use Pocketbook to calculate your “safe spending limit” based on your current finances.
- View your accounts. Stay on top of your transactions and current balances by being able to check your accounts at any time wherever you are.
- Get visualisations of your finances. Refer a friend or make a small donation to access a visual breakdown of your spending so that you can see exactly how much you’re spending on what. With this alone you can take a major step towards effective budgeting.
- Secured and read-only. Pocketbook is protected by the same digital security systems that the major banks use. It’s also a read-only app, which means that you can’t use it to move any money around, and neither can anyone or anything else, ensuring its security.
Download Pocketbook on
Break into the investment market with only $5
- Perfect for: People who want to earn money from long-term investments, but can only spare a few dollars at a time.
- Good for: Anyone with a phone and long-term plans.
One of the obstacles that stops many people from investing is the perception that they can’t spare enough to make it worthwhile. Thanks to the Raiz Invest app (formerly Acorns Australia), this is no longer an excuse. All you need to get started is the app, your online banking details and your BSB number.
- Automatically round-up money from everyday transactions: Spend $2.80, then let the app round it up to $3 and put the extra 20 cents into your Acorns account. These round-ups are the source of your investment money, along with any additional deposits you choose to make.
- Choose your own investments. The Raiz app lets you select your own investment options in line with your preferred investment style.
- Get portfolios constructed by award-winning economists. More specifically, The Nobel Prize winner in economics Dr Harry Markowitz who has helped guide the creation of Raiz's investment portfolios.
- Unlimited, no-cost, no-condition withdrawals. You can completely clean out your Raiz account at any time, without losing any of it to fees.
- Make free additional deposits. Deposit up to a maximum of $10,000 a day if you wish to invest more.
- Flat fees. Fees are $1.25 a month for balances under $5,000, and 0.27% p.a. monthly for balances over $5,000.
Download Raiz on
The ATO app
Spend less time on taxes, business finances and superannuation
- Perfect for: Small business owners and self-managed super fund (SMSF) trustees.
- Good for: Any taxpayer.
The ATO app is loaded with enough functions to make it worth welcoming the Australian Tax Office onto your phone. SMSF trustees, business owners and anyone who wants an easier way to do their taxes and calculate their deductions can benefit from installing it.
- Small business benchmarking. See how well your small business is doing compared to similar outfits in your area.
- Calculate tax withheld. Use the app to calculate how much tax to withhold from salary and wage payments to employees.
- Do your tax returns with an app. Log in to MyTax online to lodge a tax return and track its progress.
- Pre-fill your tax return. Upload financial data from previous years to quickly pre-fill your tax return.
- Record deductions. Keep track of business expenses, work trips, gifts, charitable donations, interest earnings, dividends and all other potential deductions to make sure you’re getting as much back as you should.
- Quickly look up ABNs. Find an Australian Business Number online.
- Set alerts and look up key dates. Stay on top of your finances by setting alerts and looking up important tax and super obligations.
Download the ATO app on
Handle all your split costs
- Perfect for: Anyone who splits bills, owes money or is owed money.
- Good for: Anyone with any expenses at all.
Splitwise offers a new way to split bills and manage IOUs without destroying friendships along the way. It allows everyone involved to log in and see their own balances and how much they owe someone else, whether it’s for their share of the rent or an old IOU.
- Track expenses. IOUs, split restaurant bills, rent payments and almost anything else that needs paying can be tracked with Splitwise.
- Notification system. Set up and receive alerts for a variety of transfers.
- Manage group trips. Use Splitwise for group trips to automatically keep track of who owes what, instead of arguing about it later.
- Group access. Everyone can see the same information and stay on the same page.
Download Splitwise on
Keep your entire wallet in your phone
- Perfect for: Rewards card users and people who have either too much stuff in their wallet, or too little space in their pockets.
- Good for: Anyone who wants to slim their wallet.
If getting your finances in order is turning out to be tricky, you can take a break and just get your wallet in order instead. This app won’t directly help you save money, but it can make life a lot easier when it comes to spending, which is just as important. A common problem for many people is having to carry around all of your cards because you’re never quite sure which one you’re going to need and when. The solution is to get this app.
- Back up cards to your phone: Keep your cards on your phone. Rewards cards, credit cards, debit cards and anything else.
- Share card access: If you share cards with someone, you can both carry it at the same time thanks to this app.
Download Wallet+ Pro on
There aren’t a lot of features to learn about, but you can find out more about this app on the download pages.
Keep track of your expenses
- Perfect for: Anyone who has trouble reining in their spending, has upcoming costs to plan for, or wants an easier way to manage the household budget.
- Good for: Anyone who spends money.
This app from the Australian Security and Investments Commission (ASIC) is designed to offer a simple and effective way of tracking all your expenses, even the small ones. To facilitate saving, you can set a spending limit in line with your financial goals, such as saving up for a trip, and you can see whether your current spending habits can get you there.
- Record expenses. Keep track of your outgoings, no matter how big or small.
- Export and backup your data. Export the data to a spreadsheet if you prefer to see it that way and take advantage of free data backups for more security.
- Choose a spending limit. Nominate your own spending limit and track your progress as you get nearer to it.
- Needs vs wants. Use the app to separately categorise your needs and wants to help you make more informed spending decisions.
- Set your own tags and categories. You can create your own tags and categories to customise the app and track your budget in a way that works for you.
- Text message reminders. Set up alerts and reminders that you can receive as text messages.
- Auto-fill expenses. Save time when doing your budget by taking advantage of the auto-fill feature based on previous expenses.