The Apple Watch Series 4 is bigger, faster and seriously concerned with your heart health. Here's everything you need to know about Apple's latest smartwatch.
What is the Apple Watch Series 4?
Apple's latest generation of Apple Watch smart watches sees a visual redesign with a larger (and somewhat taller) display screen, new watch band styles and features, and of course, a premium price point.
Apple has boosted the Apple Watch's screen size, processing power and heart rate tracking capabilities in its smartest smartwatch yet.
Apple absolutely did not invent the smartwatch concept, but there's little doubt that the introduction of the Apple Watch brought the concept very much to the mainstream. Since its introduction in 2015, Apple has iterated with the design and feature set of its Apple Watch line, as well as upgrading the underlying watchOS operating system. The latest version of the Apple Watch, the Apple Watch Series 4, shows big ambition for where Apple wants the category to head.
- 40/44mm OLED displays.
- Gold, silver, space black or space grey finishes.
- Smaller bezels.
- Works with existing Apple Watch bands.
- Heart rate sensor will be able to perform ECGs (eventually).
- Breathe display.
- Apple S4 chip twice as fast.
- LTE or GPS models available.
- Digital crown now gives haptic feedback.
- Up to 18 hours of battery life.
- A good upgrade for the Apple Watch.
Pricing and availability
- Available outright from Apple from 21 September from $599/$749 (40mm) or $649/$799 (44mm).
- Also expected availability through Telstra, Optus and Vodafone on contract.
The official announcement of the Apple Watch Series 4 took place in the US on 12 September 2018 at 10am, which equated out to early on 13 September here in Australia AEST.
Apple announced pre-orders going live from 14 September, with variable pricing depending on the size of watch face you want and your choice of band. Even if you do own an existing Apple Watch, you can't buy just the Apple Watch Series 4 body by itself, with the absolute lowest cost model coming in at $599 with a variety of band choices.
The Apple Watch Series 4 will also be available through Telstra, Optus and Vodafone, but we're waiting on full contract pricing at the time of writing.Back to top
- Product Name
- Apple Watch Series 4
- 368x448 (44mm)/ 324x394 pixels (40mm)
- watchOS 5
- Up to 18 hours
- Apple S4
- 40x34x10.7 mm (40mm)/ 44x38x10.7 mm (44mm)
- 30.1g/36.7g (sans band)
Latest Apple Watch Series 4 news
Huawei's gunning for the industry leaders with the Huawei Mate 20 Pro, but how does it compare to Apple's pricey but popular Apple iPhone XS Max? Read more…
If you're after a smaller premium smartphone, should you opt for the Pixel 3 or the Apple iPhone XS? Read more…
How does Google's new flagship, the Pixel 3 XL, compare to Apple's pricey iPhone XS Max? Read more…