What do we know about the mysterious Apple Watch so far?
As well as the launch of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Apple made another, unexpected, announcement: the launch of the Apple Watch.
This signals a new development for Apple. It’s the first watch they’ve ever released, although we can expect that the release of the Apple Watch 2 is but a year away.
Purchase Apple Watch 3 from Apple Store
The third generation of the Apple Watch adds cellular functionality so you can make calls, send texts and even stream music when you're away from your phone.View details
“A device you wear is vastly different from one you keep on a desk or carry in your pocket,” Apple says on its site. “It’s more than a tool. It’s a very personal expression.” With that in mind, they’re releasing three different styles: the Watch, the Watch Sport, and the Watch Edition:
What features will the Apple Watch have?
- Digital Crown:
- All rumours of Apple’s smartwatch were along the lines of a shrunken down version of a smartphone screen. It would seem they’ve outsmarted us all. On a regular watch, the crown is the button on the end of the spindle used for adjusting the time. Apple’s Digital Crown works much the same way. It will allow you to zoom, scroll, and select without covering the screen. You will, of course, be able to access apps this way, and use it to take you back to the homescreen. Apple have likened this feature to the innovative 'click wheel' that catapulted their iPod to success. We’ll have to wait to 2015 to see for ourselves.
- Health and Fitness companion:
- This is taking the fitness band craze to a whole new level, technologically speaking. While there are any number of products out there that will measure your steps, the number of calories burnt, the distance you've walked, and so on, the Apple Watch takes it one step further. (Pun intended.) It will measure the quality and frequency of your movement as well – and all at a glance. Three rings which measure your movement, exercise, and steps will be available at a glance - which is motivation aplenty to get up and walk round the block (a separate Workout app will be dedicated for cardio sessions). Lest we forget about the ‘smart’ part of ‘smartphone’, the Apple Watch will monitor your movements and suggest personalised daily fitness goals. Scary stuff – depending on your tolerance to exercise, that is.
- Automatic adjustment to local time:
- Just got off the plane? No worries. The Apple Watch will automatically adjust to your local time zone, so there’s no more 'three hours behind… tomorrow' high level thought going on when you’re bleary eyed from the red eye.
- Incredibly precise timepiece:
- For everyone who’s been just too darn frustrated with their ancient methods of timekeeping, the Apple Watch will use multiple technologies to keep time within 50 milliseconds of the definitive global time standard. Probably the least exciting feature of the Apple Watch, but hey – we don’t have a lot to go on so far.
- Clever alerts for notifications:
- Apple’s calling it the Taptic Engine, and this little piece of technology is currently unique to Apple. Using haptic feedback, your Apple Watch will ‘tap’ your wrist to let you know you’ve got a notification. The idea is that you can attend to anything important, and dismiss anything that isn’t. Handy.
What don’t we know about the Apple Watch so far?
We’ll keep you posted about the below as we learn more.
- Price: Apple is being tight lipped about the Apple Watch’s cost, but our advice is to start saving now.
- Release date: At this point, it’s looking like a 2015 release date.
- Tech specs: No word yet on what this smartwatch will be capable of.
- Application support: Nobody’s sure yet on which apps will be available on the Apple Watch, but we’d be prepared to put money on Facebook being one of them. How else will you tell everyone about your run?
While you'll have to wait until 2015 to get your hands on an Apple Watch, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are set to be released on September 19. In the meantime, check out this Apple Watch demo by TouchArcade: