Apple's thrown everything it could into the iPhone X, and it's the best phone they've made to date. However, at its premium price it's not a handset for everybody.
- Great processor performance
- Sharp display screen
- Fast camera
- Face ID is very cool technology
- Animoji are fun (for a while)
- The notch is an annoying intrusion
- FaceID needs refinement
- No headphone jack
- iPhone 8 Plus has better battery life
- Very high asking price
The iPhone X is the best iPhone Apple has produced to date, but it's not the iPhone most people should buy this year.
On the whole, Apple is a very conservative company. Once it has fixed its position on a particular feature (or lack thereof) it takes significant pressure for it to make substantive changes.
Substantial change is precisely what the Apple iPhone X sells itself on, because in many ways it is a radical re-imagining of the iPhone platform, and a very clear signal of the direction Apple intends to take its mobile platform into the future.
That being said, if you're looking to buy an iPhone X right now, you need to know if it's worth Apple's hefty asking price.
- The "notch" isn't for everybody
- The glass body is gorgeous, though you'll probably want to protect it in a case
- The best iPhone camera yet
- Selfie portrait mode can work really well thanks to the FaceID cameras
- The best iPhone for performance, but not a massive advantage over the iPhone 8
- Lack of buttons mean new gestures require some getting used to
- Battery life not as good as iPhone 8 Plus
- Qi wireless charging is handy, but slower than competitors
- For most people wanting an Apple phone, the iPhone 8 Plus is a better option
- A good indication of Apple's future, but too expensive for most users
Pricing and availability
Apple iPhone X
Apple's most advanced smartphone
The iPhone X is Apple's vision of what the future of smartphones looks like. Get yours today, available outright or on a contract from Telstra, Optus or Vodafone.
- Apple sells the iPhone X outright for $1579 with 64GB of onboard storage, or $1829 with 256GB of storage.
- The iPhone X is also available from Telstra, Vodafone and Optus on contract plan terms.
|Display size (inches)||5.8|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2436 x 1125|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||458|
|Battery size (mAh)||2,716|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.8|
|Rear camera (2) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (2) aperture||f/2.4|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||7|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 12|
Latest iPhone X news
Wireless chargers promise easy power boosts to your compatible smartphone, but how well do they deliver the power you crave? Read more…
Everything you need to know about wireless charging and the phones that support this super-convenient way to keep the power flowing to your handset. Read more…
The iPhone XS advances Apple's flagship smartphone line with better water resistance, a faster processor and an enhanced dual-lens camera. Read more…