The iPhone SE retains classic Apple style if that's important to you and it's the cheapest iPhone you can buy outright. The lack of real internal updates means that it's well behind the rest of the iPhone pack, though.
- Classic iPhone design
- NFC for Apple Pay
- Cheapest entry point for iOS
- Processor is several steps behind the pace
- Battery life is poor
- It's surprisingly heavy
Apple’s iPhone SE is a decent member of the iPhone family, but it’s let down rather badly by its battery life and the fact that Apple seems reluctant to update its internal specifications.
The Apple iPhone SE is a curious member of the Apple iPhone family. Where Apple's general approach has been to provide new iPhone models with refined designs, it instead took a step backwards with the iPhone SE. It is perhaps easiest summed up as most of the innards of an iPhone 6s stuffed into the body of an iPhone 5s, although as we found, the reality of using it was very mixed.
- Classic small iPhone design
- Surprisingly heavy for such a small phone
- A simple single-lens camera
- Older camera tech is showing its age
- Reasonable mid-range performance
- Lack of expandable storage hurts
- Apple Pay is handy
- Poor battery life
- No wireless charging
- Apple's lack of updates make the iPhone SE a poor buy.
- Only worthwhile if you can score a bargain.
Pricing and availability
Apple iPhone SE
Apple's smallest smartphone
The iPhone SE is Apple's smallest and lowest-cost iPhone handset.
- Apple sells the iPhone SE outright for $549 with 32GB of onboard storage or $699 with 128GB of storage.
- The iPhone SE is also available from Telstra on contract plan terms.
|Display size (inches)||4|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1136 x 640|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||326|
|Battery size (mAh)||1,624|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||1.2|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.4|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 4|
Latest iPhone SE news
Are you better off buying an iPhone XS outright and pairing it up with a SIM or signing up for a two-year contract? Read more…
Optus has revealed its competitive plan pricing for the brand-new iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max. Read more…
Telstra has announced its contract pricing for the brand-new iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max. Read more…