The iPhone 8 Plus might externally look like it's older technology, but beneath that familiar exterior lurks a true beast of a smartphone. It's feasible that the iPhone 8 Plus may go down as Apple's best phone of 2018, maybe even better than the iPhone X.
- Astonishing battery life
- Industry leading processor performance
- Portrait lighting works very well
- Design is showing its age
- No storage expansion
- Low light camera performance could be better
The iPhone 8 Plus is an exceptional handset, and it might even be better than the iPhone X.
When Apple announced its 2017 class of iPhones, the lion's share of attention went to the flagship Apple iPhone X. It's not hard to see why, what with its fresh full screen (if you ignore the notch) design, FaceID features and jaw-dropping asking price.
That left the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus in a difficult position because in a market that Apple itself hypes up to expect nothing but the best, taking the "lesser" handsets, especially at premium prices, might seem like a dumb move.
Nobody wants to look dumb, but as I've found testing the iPhone 8 Plus, dumb is the last thing you can call this particular handset.
- Much the same as the iPhone 7 Plus
- The glass-coated backing increases the chances of the phone slipping from your fingers
- Only a slight improvement over the camera on the iPhone 7 Plus
- Still impressive both from a hardware and software perspective
- Sets a new standard for smartphone performance
- The ordinary screen resolution leaves something to be desired
- Tremendous battery life that not only trounces other iPhones, but most other premium handsets too
- Support for Qi wireless charging frees you from requiring Apple-approved charging products
- Excellent battery life and a more affordable price tag make it a more compelling alternative to the iPhone X
- Not quite remarkable enough to warrant upgrading from the iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus
Pricing and availability
Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Premium and polished
While it's not a revolution in iPhone design, the iPhone 8 Plus makes key improvements in battery life and performance. Grab one for yourself on contract through Telstra, Optus or Vodafone, or purchase one outright from participating retailers.
- Apple sells the iPhone 8 Plus outright for $1,229 with 64GB of onboard storage, or $1,479 with 256GB of storage.
- Telstra, Vodafone and Optus also offer the iPhone 8 Plus on a variety of contract plans.
|Display size (inches)||5.5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||401|
|Battery size (mAh)||2,675|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.8|
|Rear camera (2) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (2) aperture||f/2.8|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||7|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 12|
Latest iPhone 8 news
2017's iPhone 8 Plus continues to hold its own against the latest premium smartphones, especially now that you can get it at a sizeable discount. Read more…
The iPhone 8 isn't a cheap device, but you can still score a solid deal by checking out our round-up of the latest plans and outright purchase options. Read more…
Everything you need to know about wireless charging and the phones that support this super-convenient way to keep the power flowing to your handset. Read more…