There's little doubt that the iPhone 8 is the lesser member of 2017's crop of iPhones, but if you favour a smaller handset and have been waiting years for acceptable iPhone battery life, this is a very good premium option.
- Improved battery life
- Great processor performance
- Wireless charging now standard
- Old school iPhone design
- Only a single lens camera
- iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X are more fully featured
The smallest member of the 2017 iPhone family is a serious premium contender.
Of all the handsets announced at Apple's launch of its 2017 iPhones, the iPhone 8 model was the one that was met with the most lukewarm response.
That's hardly a shock given that the primary focus of the event was clearly the iPhone X, and even if its full-screen display and FaceID features didn't impress you, there was always the iPhone 8 Plus, with its dual cameras and larger battery capacity.
Against that competition, the iPhone 8 is rather easy to overlook, but the reality is that it fills a niche few handset makers even consider any more. That's the space for a more hand- and pocket-friendly device with plenty of power because most smaller-screened Android handsets tend to be low-power, budget devices.
- Maintains that familiar iPhone look, for better and for worse
- The glass back adds weight and attracts fingerprints like nobody's business
- The single lens lacks the versatility of multi-lens arrays in other smartphones
- Still one of the best cameras available in a phone of this size
- Genuinely impressive performance that challenges the value of the iPhone X
- The relatively small screen limits the benefits of all that power
- Finally delivers all-day performance from an iPhone
- Wireless charging is a big plus
- Not a significant upgrade from the iPhone 7
- Improved battery life is welcome, but still not on par with the competition
Pricing and availability
Apple iPhone 8
Familiar yet impressive
The iPhone 8 doesn't stray far from the traditional iPhone formula, but it still delivers the premium experience expected of an Apple device. Buy yours today outright or on a plan with Telstra, Optus or Vodafone.
- Apple sells the iPhone 8 outright for $1,079 with 64GB of onboard storage, or $1,329 with 256GB of storage.
- The iPhone 8 is also available on contract from Telstra, Vodafone and Optus.
|Display size (inches)||4.7|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1334 x 750|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||326|
|Battery size (mAh)||1,821|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.8|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||7|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 12|
Latest iPhone 8 news
Everything you need to know about wireless charging and the phones that support this super-convenient way to keep the power flowing to your handset. Read more…
Is it worth upgrading to the iPhone XR if you already have an iPhone 8, and does the existence of the iPhone XR make the iPhone 8 a bad buy? Read more…
If you're planning to upgrade to the iPhone XS, it's well worth knowing how much you can get for your existing handset. Read more…