There's little doubt that the iPhone 8 is the lesser member of this year's crop of iPhones, but if you favour a smaller handset and have been waiting years for acceptable iPhone battery life, this is a very good premium option.
- Improved battery life
- Great processor performance
- Wireless charging now standard
- Old school iPhone design
- Only a single lens camera
- iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X are more fully featured
The smallest member of the 2017 iPhone family is still a serious premium contender.
Of all the handsets announced at Apple's launch of its 2018 iPhones, the iPhone 8 model was the one that was met with the most lukewarm response.
That's hardly a shock given that the primary focus of the event was clearly the still-incoming iPhone X, and even if its full-screen display and FaceID features didn't impress you, there was always the iPhone 8 Plus, with its dual cameras and larger battery capacity.
Against that competition, the iPhone 8 is rather easy to overlook, but the reality is that it fills a niche few handset makers even consider any more. That's the space for a more hand- and pocket-friendly device with plenty of power because most smaller-screened Android handsets tend to be low-power, budget devices.
- Maintains that familiar iPhone look, for better and for worse
- The glass back adds weight and attracts fingerprints like nobody's business
- The single lens lacks the versatility of multi-lens arrays in other smartphones
- Still one of the best cameras available in a phone of this size
- Genuinely impressive performance that challenges the value of the iPhone X
- The relatively small screen limits the benefits of all that power
- Finally delivers all-day performance from an iPhone
- Wireless charging is a big plus
- Not a significant upgrade from the iPhone 7
- Improved battery life is welcome, but still not on par with the competition
Pricing and availability
Apple iPhone 8
Familiar yet impressive
The iPhone 8 doesn't stray far from the traditional iPhone formula, but it still delivers the premium experience expected of an Apple device. Buy yours today outright or on a plan with Telstra, Optus or Vodafone.
- Apple sells the iPhone 8 outright for $1079 with 64GB of onboard storage, or $1329 with 256GB of storage.
- The iPhone 8 is also available on contract from Telstra, Vodafone and Optus.
|Display size (inches)||4.7|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1334 x 750|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||326|
|Battery size (mAh)||1,821|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.8|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||7|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 12|
Latest iPhone 8 news
Just like the regular iPhone 8, but in carmine tones and with a charitable outlook. Read more…
If your iPhone is no longer talking to you nicely, there's a few simple steps you can take to get it back in order. Read more…
How do Samsung's freshly-announced Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ smartphones compare to Apple's iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus? Read more…