Apple iPhone 8 review: Plans | Pricing | Specs
If you favour a smaller handset and have been waiting years for acceptable iPhone battery life, the iPhone 8 is a very good premium option.
750 x 1334px
Finder rated as Good vs similar phones
Power, storage and battery
|Launch price (RRP)||$1,079|
- Improved battery life
- Great processor performance
- Wireless charging now standard
- Old school iPhone design
- Only a single lens camera
- iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X are more fully featured
The smallest member of the 2017 iPhone family is a serious premium contender.
Of all the handsets announced at Apple's launch of its 2017 iPhones, the iPhone 8 model was the one that was met with the most lukewarm response.
That's hardly a shock given that the primary focus of the event was clearly the iPhone X, and even if its full-screen display and FaceID features didn't impress you, there was always the iPhone 8 Plus, with its dual cameras and larger battery capacity.
Against that competition, the iPhone 8 is rather easy to overlook, but the reality is that it fills a niche few handset makers even consider any more. That's the space for a more hand- and pocket-friendly device with plenty of power because most smaller-screened Android handsets tend to be low-power, budget devices.
- Maintains that familiar iPhone look, for better and for worse
- The glass back adds weight and attracts fingerprints like nobody's business
- The single lens lacks the versatility of multi-lens arrays in other smartphones
- Still one of the best cameras available in a phone of this size
- Genuinely impressive performance that challenges the value of the iPhone X
- The relatively small screen limits the benefits of all that power
- Finally delivers all-day performance from an iPhone
- Wireless charging is a big plus
- Not a significant upgrade from the iPhone 7
- Improved battery life is welcome, but still not on par with the competition
Pricing and availability
- Price: From RRP $779
- Where to buy: Apple | Amazon Australia | eBay | Kogan The Good Guys | Harvey Norman | JB Hi-Fi
Compare Apple iPhone 8 plans
Apple iPhone 8 specs
Power, storage and battery
Latest iPhone 8 news
Find out how much you can get for trading in or selling your old iPhone and what you need to do to clear your phone before you sell it. Read more…
The iPhone 8 isn't a cheap device, but you can still score a solid deal by checking out our round-up of the latest plans and outright purchase options. Read more…
Everything you need to know about wireless charging and the phones that support this super-convenient way to keep the power flowing to your handset. Read more…