Apple AirPods Pro review: Pro quality sound and comfort
Quick Verdict: The addition of noise cancelling is the headline feature for the Pro version of Apple's AirPods, but they're also far more comfortable than the original AirPods.
- Noise cancelling is quite smart
- Much more comfortable fit
- Fast pairing with iOS devices
- Smaller microphone stubs make them less obvious
- Relatively expensive
- New case is wider than the originals
- Fixed battery makes their future unclear
Apple most certainly didn't invent Bluetooth headphones, or even bud-style Bluetooth headphones.
Still, there's no doubting that Apple's mighty marketing machine has managed to make the design of the AirPods into something iconic, whether you're a follower of fashion or technology.
Apple may have mangled the correct grammar you have to use around discussing the AirPods Pro, but it's also produced an excellent and comfortable set of Bluetooth buds that are recommended if you can match their asking price.
- Shorter microphone stalks than original AirPods
- Choice of silicone tips for isolation and ear comfort
- Charging case is fatter than the original
- Easy to pair with iOS devices
- Active noise cancelling works quite well
- Transparency mode works but is awkward to engage
- Around 4 hours per charge
- Case is wireless charging by default
- What happens when the batteries die?
- Better sound than previous AirPods, but not an inexpensive buy
Are the AirPods Pro both a grammatical disaster and a better sounding pair of buds than the original AirPods?
Absolutely they are, but that's not quite the same thing as making them a must-buy prospect. If you're already rocking a pair of AirPods, the impetus to upgrade is relatively slender, and it would make far more sense to make the most of your existing AirPods anyway.
If you're in the market for wireless buds of this type, they're certainly worth considering, although there are plenty of other options, including some with active noise cancelling, that you could also consider.
Pricing and availability
Where to buy
- Apple’s new AirTags, iPad Pro, Apple TV and iMacs explained
- JB Hi-Fi and Afterpay: How does buy now pay later work at JB?
- Lenovo ThinkVision T24i-20 Review: A monitor for the business basics
- Amazon Fire TV Stick Lite slashed to $49: 3 reasons to buy
- Red-hot deal alert: $320 off the iPhone 11 Pro today on eBay