ANZ Visa payWave – Contactless Payment Technology
Got an ANZ credit card? Here’s how you can use it to make contactless payments at checkout.
ANZ allows you to make contactless payments with Visa payWave when you have an ANZ credit card or Visa debit card. Here's how it works.
How do I use ANZ Visa payWave?
So long as your ANZ credit or Visa debit card has the symbol on the right, you should be able to use it for contactless purchases. There's no need to do any special activation process: if you can use your card normally, you can use it for contactless purchases, too.
Using it for payment is quick and easy:
- Check acceptance. Make sure the payment terminal is able to accept contactless payments and that you're being charged the correct amount.
- Tap/hold to pay. Hold your card within a couple of centimetres of the payment terminal.
- Wait for confirmation. Once the machine beeps, you can remove your card. If the amount paid is over $100, you'll be required to enter your PIN or sign for confirmation.
How do I get payWave on my phone with an ANZ card?
Allowing your phone or other device to make contactless payments is done through a third-party app. Install one of these apps, enter your ANZ card details and set the desired app as your default "tap and pay" app.
The following tap and pay apps support ANZ credit and debit payWave cards:
- Apple Pay (compatible with iPhone, Apple Watch and other Apple devices)
- Google Pay (compatible with Android devices running Lollipop 5.0 or higher)
- Samsung Pay (compatible with Samsung devices newer than S6)
- Fitbit Pay
- Garmin Pay
For specific instructions on how to set up your card with the above apps, log in to your mobile wallet app or see ANZ's mobile payment page.
How secure are ANZ contactless payment options?
With ANZ, your credit card has a number of security measures to help protect you against fraud:
- ANZ Falcon anti-fraud. ANZ has a team working 24/7 to monitor your card for suspicious transactions. They'll first attempt to contact you to confirm you made the transactions and then may proceed to freeze your account until it has been confirmed.
- Fraud money back guarantee. Any loss you suffer as a result of fraud will be fully credited back to you as long as you weren't responsible for it and let ANZ know about it quickly.
- Security microchips. Embedded microchips in your card make it hard for your details to be copied fraudulently when you make a transaction using your card's chip.
You also don't need to be worried about accidentally making a transaction when walking past a card reader. Your card has to be a few centimetres away from a payment terminal for a few seconds with a purchase pending to be charged.
If you're looking for more information on using an ANZ credit card, we have a Finder guide with details about all the features and options available.
Compare cards with Visa payWave
Ask an Expert
Credit Cards Comparison
* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.