With select Australian and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ) transaction accounts, your money is directly linked to a convenient Visa debit card. This card replaces cash in your wallet, allowing you to make your everyday shopping transactions using money that is withdrawn straight out of your account.
A Visa debit card also provides you with the benefit of being able to shop wherever Visa is an accepted form of payment, both in Australia and overseas.
What are the features of the ANZ Visa Debit Card?
Transaction accounts linked to a Visa debit card give you more accessibility than a typical bank debit card. When choosing between the various everyday accounts available, the type of debit card offered and the features should be a point of consideration. With ANZ, you will be getting the following features:
No annual fees
Unlike a Visa credit card, you are not charged an annual or monthly fee for the ANZ Visa debit card.
Use wherever Visa is accepted
This debit card can be used wherever Visa is already accepted. That includes for purchases made online and over the phone. It also lets you shop and make withdrawals securely when travelling overseas.
Visa payWave is a feature that allows you to make in-store purchases that total $100 or less without having to swipe your card. If the value is above $100, you can still use this feature but you will have to enter your pin.
It keeps your money secure
The Visa debit card provides you with ANZ Falcon, embedded security microchips and SecureCode. ANZ Falcon is a 24/7 anti-fraud protection that will attempt to get in touch with you or block transactions when account activity appears to be unusual. Verified by Visa and Mastercard SecureCode is a free service for online shopping that gives you added protection against unauthorised use of your card at participating merchants.
Money back guarantee
Any losses suffered from fraudulent activity from your debit card will be refunded to you, provided that you did not contribute to the loss and that you notify ANZ as soon as you suspect fraud.
Unlimited ATM use
Not only can you use your linked Visa debit card to make enquiries and withdrawals at ANZ ATMs, it can be used at any Australian ATM with no charge from ANZ. The network provider may impose their own charges for its use.
Overseas transaction fee of 0.00%
For purchases and transactions made with the Visa debit card in a foreign currency you will be charged 0.00% of the transaction value.
Overseas $5 ATM withdrawal fee
The ANZ Visa debit card can be used at international ATMs for balance enquiries and cash withdrawals. For each of these transactions you will have a $5 fee charged to your linked account.
The ANZ Everyday bank account and the Concession account both come with a Visa debit card.
- Unlimited withdrawals whether its withdrawn from EFTPOS, Online, ATM, Bank Cheques or withdrawal from a branch.
- Inclusive $5 monthly account keeping fee.
- Unlimited withdrawals does not include foreign ATMs or usage overseas.
How do I apply for the ANZ Visa Debit Card?
The ANZ Visa debit card is a feature of their Everyday bank account and Concession account. For the Concession account you will need to visit a local branch to complete the application, but click “Go to Site” if you wish to apply for the Everyday account online.The following eligibility criteria need to be met to receive a Visa debit card, and the below documentation is needed.
- Minimum age. Even with an account that allows for holders who are as young as 12, the Visa debit card is only available if you are 14 years old or older.
- Residency requirements. ANZ requires account holders to be Australian residents with an Australian residential address.
- Depository requirements. With neither of the accounts that come with a Visa debit card is there a minimum opening balance requirement, yet since the funds are drawn from your account you won’t be able to use the card until there is a positive balance.
- Tax file number. Your tax file number (TFN) or exemption code is used to ensure that you are not paying a higher tax rate on your interest withholdings.
- Identification. Information found on your driver’s licence or passport is used to help confirm your identity.
What happens next?
Filling in the application should take about 10 minutes and within two days the account will be active and your new Visa debit card will be mailed to your home. Your Visa debit card pin will be mailed to you around two days after your card arrives.