As of 1 March 2017, ANZ and American Express credit cards are no longer available for new customers.
Previously ANZ and American Express had a partnership that allowed ANZ to offer dual credit cards that came with both a Visa card and an American Express card. As of 1 March 2017, this partnership ended on 1 March 2017, meaning you can no longer apply for a new ANZ and American Express credit card. You can compare current ANZ credit card options here or look at the range of American Express credit cards here.
If you already have an existing ANZ credit card account that includes an Amex and a Visa, you can continue to use the American Express card until 5 August 2017. After that, you will only be able to use the Visa card for your ANZ account.
The following information on this page relates to ANZ and American Express credit cards that were offered before 1 March 2017. These cards are no longer available and the information on this page has been left for reference purposes only. The current range of ANZ credit cards is available here.
ANZ American Express credit cards review
ANZ offered cardholders the option of Visa and American Express with their dual-branded cards. With seven different cards available, each allowed you to spend on both a Visa or a American Express card. While Visa may have wider acceptance in Australia, the American Express card had a higher earn rate when earning rewards per dollar spent and gave you access to exclusive AMEX benefits.
Just like any other card, your purchases on either your Visa or American Express card will all come under the one account. This means that you'll have one statement that'll detail all of the purchases and transactions you've made on both of the payment networks.
How did ANZ American Express credit cards work?
Some of the features and benefits you could have expected from using an ANZ American Express credit card include:
- One annual fee. As both of your credit cards are on the same account, you will only have to pay one annual fee for the two cards. This will save you money in the long run, as you are essentially getting two credit cards but only paying the fees for one account.
- Combined account statement. While you'll be given one card, you will not have to deal with having multiple bank statements. Any transactions that are made on either credit card will be shown on one account statement. You will not have the stress of sorting through multiple statements, as everything will be clearly listed on a single statement.
- Single credit limit. While you'll have the option to pay with two different payment networks, you'll still have on credit limit under the single account, which will make it easier to track your budget and keep your finances in control.
- A primary account for your rewards. Generally, American Express credit cards earn more points per dollar than Visa or Mastercard products. However, with the flexibility of both Visa and American Express, you can enjoy both accessibility and high earn rates and pool all of your points in one account. So if you see that American Express is accepted somewhere, you might want to use that card to make a purchase and leave the other card for where AMEX is excluded.
- Premium perks. From the Visa part of your card, you can take advantage of perks from Visa Entertainment. From access to pre-sale concert tickets, exclusive competitions and discounted prices, you'll enjoy VIP benefits that are only available to Visa cardholders. Meanwhile, with access to an American Express, you can also take advantage of lounge invites, competitions and reserved tickets for concerts and other entertainment events with American Express Invites. Some ANZ American Express credit cards also offer complimentary domestic flights and exclusive lounge access, which could come in handy for frequent flyers.
How to apply for an ANZ American Express credit card
If you find an ANZ credit card that suits your finances, you can apply by clicking on the green 'Go to Site' button on finder. While each card will have its own eligibility requirements, you'll need to make sure you meet the following criteria and organise the necessary documents before you apply:
- Age. Cardholders must be at least 18 years of age.
- Residential status. Depending on the card, you'll either have to be a permanent resident of Australia or hold a 457 working visa to apply.
- Credit history. You'll need to have a healthy credit history to receive approval.
- Minimum income. You'll need to meet a minimum annual income to apply.
Necessary information and documents
- Proof of identification. You'll need to provide proof of identification such as your passport, drivers licence or medicare card.
- Income information. To prove you meet the minimum income requirement, you'll need to provide copies of payslips, bank statements and any information regarding assets or other forms of income.
- Self-employed. If you're self-employed, you'll need to provide your accountant's contact details and information.
ANZ and American Express credit cards offered competitive rewards options and the convenience of both a Visa and Amex card linked to the one account. With the ending of this partnership, ANZ has updated it's range of rewards cards. So make sure you consider the current options from ANZ and compare them to a variety of other reward and frequent flyer card offers to find the right fit for your needs.
Frequently asked questions
How do I earn rewards points?
You can earn reward points on all eligible purchases spent using the card. These purchases usually exclude cash advance, balance transfers, gambling transactions and some government payments. Depending on the card and whether you use Visa or American Express, you could earn between 0.5 points and 3 points per $1 spent. Generally, the American Express card has a higher earn rate than the Visa card, so you might want to use your AMEX where it's accepted if you're looking to earn points on your daily expenses.
Depending on the card you use, you'll either earn reward points with the ANZ Rewards Program or the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.
Where can I use my ANZ American Express?
You can use your American Express ANZ credit card at a variety of locations including supermarkets, convenience stores, department stores and fuel stations around Australia. Some popular brands include BP fuel stations, Event Cinemas, BWS, Big W, Woolworths and The ICONIC.
You can see a full list of where you can use your American Express credit card here.
How are purchases made with my ANZ American Express card?
You can use your ANZ dual credit card to make purchases in the same way you would any other type of credit card. While you have one account, you'll be given two cards. One will be a Visa card and the other will be an American Express card. Each of these cards will have separate PINs and you should be able to use them EFTPOS transactions, ATM withdrawals, online purchases and contactless payments.