Anti-theft bags and gadgets for safe travel January 2021
Minimise risk and maximise safety with these tips and products to prevent theft while travelling.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Travelling to new places is often one of the most positive experiences in a person’s life, but it’s easy to get distracted in a new place and forget about the safety of yourself and your belongings.
Some bad luck is just that: bad luck. However, there are lots of ways that you can minimise risk while you’re abroad. With a few new habits and some savvy travel gear, your trip can be safer, smoother and worry-free.
Top anti-theft bags and bag locks
Combilock 4 Dial Padlock - Citrus
Hipbelt - Black
Travel Anti-Theft Hidden Underarm Shoulder Bag Phone Holster Black Nylon Inspector Outdoor Sports Messenger Bags
Anti-Theft Hidden Phone Holster Inspector Shoulder Bag - Agent Bond 007 Bag
2015 Hot&New Waterproof high quality Anti-theft Travel Laptop Backpack 17,17.3 Inch bags for Men and Women Outdoor Free Shipping
Travelon Carry Safe Backpack - in Black - Travel Laptop Backpacks
Padlock Pacsafe Prosafe 400 blue accessory with address safety trip
Top anti-theft wallets
RFID Neck Pouch - Black
Hot Sale PU Leather Women Wallet 5 Colors Zipper Multifunction Long Wallets Ladies Clutch Handbag Cheap Coin Purse Card Holder
Outdoor camping equipment Travel Anti-Theft Wallet Belt Hiding Stash money Belt burglar convenient safe waistband survival tool
2015 Stealth anti-theft wallet Travel bag Waist Packs Ultra-thin Close-fitting Hidden Pockets/outdoor Documents Bag
Interior Embossed Multistripe Travel Wallet
Lisam Wall Street Leather Double Zip Organiser
Pacsafe Carrysafe 150 GII
Travelon RFID Anti Theft Slash Proof Neck Wallet Passport & ID Case Holder
Top gadgets to keep your passport safe when travelling
Departure Wallet v4 - Large - Black
Tile for iOS and Android - For Finding Everything Personal GPS Bluetooth Tracking Helps Locate Items Key finder tracker
Geekcook android gmail twitter anti-theft wallet free air mail
eGeeTouch® Smart Luggage Zipper Lock Module- NFC-Driven via Android Smartphone
Gen 2 - 4 Pack - Tile app Mini Tracking Device [Never loose your stuff again]
PacSafe RFID tec 150 RFID Blocking Bi-Fold Wallet-Anti Theft-Shadow
PACSAFE RFID SAFE BLOCKING TRAVEL WALLET WRISTLET V250 ANTI-THEFT 10MHz - 3 GHz
New Royce Leather Bluetooth Luggage Bag Wallet Tracker Anti Theft Device
Holiday safety tips to ensure you travel safely
- Don’t flaunt your valuables. Try to be as discreet as possible with your valuables. Keep your belongings out of sight if you're travelling in a car, pack your camera into a secure bag rather than holding it around your neck, and keep wallets out of visible pockets.
- Develop travel-savvy habits. Get into the habit of doing an automatic check every time you get up from a seat or table. Make sure that you haven’t left a bag behind, and do a quick check to make sure you still have your valuables on you.
- Decoy wallet. If you’re travelling in a place that has a reputation for muggings and unsafe streets, a well-known trick is to use a decoy wallet. In the worst case scenario, you could get out of the situation quickly without losing your most valuable items.
- Travel-safe luggage. Invest in quality locks and travel-safe bags. A slash-proof day bag will go a long way in preventing pickpockets and thieves from stealing your belongings when you’re out and about.
- Scan important documents. If the unthinkable happens, paper copies of your passport, visas and other identity documents will come in handy. Keep electronic backups too.
- Separate your money and cards. Keep your cash separate from your everyday card, which is kept separately from your backup card. Keep your passport separate from everything.
- Avoid tourist traps. Pickpockets and petty criminals tend to gravitate towards tourist hotspots, so it’s best to avoid them when you can. If you have to go, be extra-cautious and make sure your valuables are out of sight.
- Befriend locals and get their advice. Locals have insider information and can tell you what to keep an eye out for.
- Get travel insurance. Travel with peace of mind and get travel insurance.
- Get vaccinated. Check with your doctor about what vaccinations are necessary, and make sure you take backup medication if you need it.
- Consider a travel money card. Prepaid travel cards, travel credit cards and debit cards are secured against theft and fraud. They also allow you to spend your money in multiple currencies, which means you need to carry less cash. Compare your travel money options to find the best card for you.
- Back up your data Stuff tends to go missing on adventures. Save yourself from the pain of data loss by backing up your essentials on a hard drive or in the cloud.
- Make sure your passwords are secure. Make sure your devices have secure passwords just in case they end up in the wrong hands.
Best travel gadget deals to keep you safe while abroad
More guides on Finder
Cryptocurrency security: End to end guide on keeping your crypto safe
SPONSORED: Your crypto is only worth something if you don’t lose it. Here’s how to keep it safe from start to finish.
How to plan a road trip for two | A couple of travel makers
Our personal tips and tricks on how to map out your road trip and what to pack for one smooth ride.
What to expect when travelling during a time of physical distancing
Health screenings, added time at the airport, digital hotel check-ins and restaurant ordering are just a few things to expect when travelling during COVID-19.
Is South Africa safe?
A complete guide to making sure you have a safe trip to South Africa.
Is Vietnam safe to travel to?
Everything you need to know to make sure you’re trip to Vietnam is safe and runs smoothly.
Is it safe to travel to Japan in 2021?
Food, drink, activities and weather. Everything you need to ensure your trip to Japan is safe.
How to bag the best travel bargains for Black Friday 2018
Expert tips to save you heaps this Black Friday 23 November.
Travel insurance for Cuba
Travel insurance is not only mandatory in Cuba, it will also protect you and your wallet from a host of travel risks.
Best wallets for ICON in 2021
Your guide to the best wallets for storing and managing ICON’s ICX tokens, including tips on how to choose the right wallet for your needs.
Guide to buying foreign currency
Whether it’s online, at your bank, through Australia Post or at the airport, here’s what you need to know to buy foreign currency for your next trip.
Ask an Expert