Free animal bill of sale templates (Australia)
Keep the sale and purchase of animals simple and straightforward with a free animal bill of sale template.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
When it comes to selling or buying farm animals, you want to protect your investment and make sure you have everything in writing. An animal bill of sale lists all the details of the transaction and ensures both parties are treated fairly.
Find out how to write your own animal bill of sale and where to find document templates to download for free.
What's in this guide?
- What is an animal bill of sale?
- When should I use an animal bill of sale?
- Animal bill of sale vs proof of purchase
- What does a bill of sale for animals include?
- How effective is a bill of sale for animals?
- Do I need a lawyer for an animal bill of sale?
- Get access to customisable animal bill of sale templates online
- How do I write an animal bill of sale?
- Where to get free legal documents and templates like a bill of sale for animals
What is an animal bill of sale?
The bill of sale for animals or livestock is an agreement between the buyer and seller that farm animals will transfer hands on a certain date in return for an agreed-upon sale price. It is required as proof of purchase.
Before the sale date, the buyer is allowed to inspect the animals and have them examined by a health professional to determine if the sale will go through as planned. It is recommended that you have at least two witnesses or a notary public to verify the actual transaction.
Download this template at Lawpath
When should I use an animal bill of sale?
You should use a bill of sale for animals any time you plan to buy or sell livestock, such as horses, sheep, chickens, cows, hens and pigs. Whether it's a private sale or an auction, you need to have something in writing to verify the transaction.
Animal bill of sale vs proof of purchase
A bill of sale for animals is specific to the sale of livestock, whereas a proof of purchase is when you purchase goods and services. It is an invoice or receipt rather than a bill of sale.
What does a bill of sale for animals include?
The bill of sale needs to be quite detailed and lay out in simple terms the animals that will be transferred. Here's what is included:
- Date of sale
- Buyer's name and address
- Seller's name and address
- Agreed-upon sale price
- Details of animals for sale (breed, age, colour and animal registration number)
- Bank details of the seller
- Seller's warranties and covenants
- Dates of inspection period
- Severability of agreement
- Signatures of buyer and seller
- Witness or notary public names and signatures
How effective is a bill of sale for animals?
A bill of sale is a must if you are transferring animals from one owner to another. It also allows for negotiation between buyers and sellers. It is more than an invoice, it is a contract. In order to be effective, a bill of sale must be dated, signed and witnessed.
Do I need a lawyer for an animal bill of sale?
You don't need a lawyer to draft up a bill of sale for an animal. It's quite a straightforward document and so can be written up by anyone involved in the sale. If you're not sure how to lay it out or what to include, there are free templates you can use online.
Get access to customisable animal bill of sale templates online
Does your company belong in this list?
How do I write an animal bill of sale?
You can easily write your own bill of sale by downloading a document template as your guide. Simply fill in the blanks, including the details of buyer and seller and the livestock in question, and it's done.
Where to get free legal documents and templates like a bill of sale for animals
You can find document template downloads for free online. Certain sites require you to sign up for a membership.
Here are some document template sites to consider:
- eForms. eForms offers a library of free printable and electronic forms that you can customise to suit your business needs. There is a monthly fee of $39 and single purchases are $45.
- Freeforms. Freeforms offers a wide range of legal document templates that you fill out online and download for free.
- Lawpath. Lawpath is an online legal resource for small businesses and entrepreneurs. You can view samples of legal document templates for free, but a fee is required for access to downloads and customisable options.
More guides on Finder
How to start a corporate merchandising business
From business loans to perfecting your sales expertise, helpful tips for launching your business.
How to start an SEO business
Helpful tips for starting and running a successful SEO agency.
How to start an eBook writing business
Start your own eBook writing business with our guide to the skills, equipment and legal documents you’ll need.
How to start a watchmaking business
Tap into the demand for fashion accessories by opening a watchmaking company.
How to start a videography business
Equip yourself with the knowledge to turn your passion for video into paid work.
How to start a lead generation business
Learn how you can transform your lead generation business idea into a profitable venture.
How to start a mechanic business
Learn how you can get started on your journey to a profitable career as a mechanic.
How to start an online clothing rental business
Ready to start your online clothing rental business? Here are the most important steps to take.
How to start a recording studio business
Turn your passion for music production into a career by starting your own recording studio.
How to start a pet sitting business
Do you love working with animals? Find out how to start your pet sitting business.
Ask an Expert