After comprehensive cover for your next trip? Check out American Express Single Trip Travel Insurance
Travel insurance may not be the first item on your list when you are planning a holiday; however, as with all types of insurance cover, it is only when you need it that you realise its true value.
It is essential to take the time to research and compare the various travel insurance plans that are available on the Australian market. You could be travelling far and wide and you would want to know that no matter how far you travel or what events may occur, you are able to access the help and support of your travel insurance provider. With American Express single trip travel insurance, you are covered by a trusted and well-established global financial brand with access to comprehensive cover no matter where you are in the world.
Receive a Quote for AMEX Single Trip Travel Insurance
Who Underwrites American Express Single Trip Travel Insurance?
American Express Single Trip Travel Insurance is issued and underwritten by Chubb. Chubb is an Australian financial services licensee authorised to provide advice in relation to and deal in general insurance products. American Express Single Trip Travel Insurance is distributed by American Express Australia Limited®.
American Express single trip travel insurance offers comprehensive cover for when you are travelling to international destinations. Backed by Chubb Insurance, you will have access to unlimited medical assistance, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and unlimited cancellation cover for any non-refundable, unused pre-paid travel costs in the event that you have to cancel your trip for an eligible reason. Single trip travel insurance from American Express also offers new for old replacement on your luggage and personal effects that are lost during your trip.
The key features of American Express single trip travel insurance policy include:
- Overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses: Unlimited cover for reasonable medical or hospital expenses that you incur whilst travelling due to an illness or injury. American Express travel insurance will also cover your medical expenses until you return to Australia.
- Overseas emergency medical assistance: Unlimited cover for medical emergency and transportation should you become ill or injured while overseas. In the event that you pass away as a result of your illness or injury, American Express will cover the cost of either your funeral or cremation overseas and/or transporting your remains back to Australia.
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits: You will be covered for cancellation fees and lost deposits for any pre-paid travel and accommodation arrangements due to circumstances that are outside of your control.
- Additional accommodation and travel expenses: If you are not able to continue your travel as planned because of illness or injury which requires immediate medical attention, your travel insurance will reimburse additional accommodation and travel expenses. Note: not available on the Basic plan.
- Hospital cash allowance: You will receive a $100 benefit for every day you are hospitalised overseas for more than 48 continuous hours. Note: Available on a Comprehensive or Ultimate plan.
- Accidental death: American Express will pay a death benefit to your beneficiaries if you are injured during your journey and die within 12 months, or a transport carrier you are travelling on during your journey disappears, sinks or crashes and you are presumed dead. Note: Available on a Comprehensive or Ultimate plan.
- Loss of income: American Express will provide a benefit payment of $400 per week for 26 weeks if you become unable to perform your regular work due to an injury sustained during your travel. You must have become disabled within 30 days as a direct result of the injury. Note: Available on a Comprehensive or Ultimate plan.
- Travel documents, credit cards, travellers cheques: Your travel insurance reimburse you the replacement costs of any travel documents such as passports, credit cards or travellers cheques that are lost or stolen. You are also protected with coverage for any fraudulent use on your credit cards.
- Luggage and personal effects: allows you to insure specified items for individual costs, or cover your entire luggage as unspecified. Luggage and personal effects cover reimburses you the replacement cost of your items.
- Theft of cash: American Express will pay for cash, bank notes, currency notes, postal orders or money orders that are stolen from you while you are travelling, up to a limit of $500 per person. Note: Not available on the Basic plan.
- Luggage and personal effects. American Express will cover the cost or value of any personal items that are stolen, accidentally damaged or lost.
- Luggage and personal effects delay expenses: If your luggage or personal effects are delayed, misdirected or misplaced by your carrier for more than 12 hours, you will be covered for the cost of purchasing essential and personal items, such as clothing, within reason.
- Travel delay expenses: If you are experiencing a delay to your destination for at least six hours due to circumstances outside of your control, American Express will reimburse the cost to purchase meals and additional accommodation expenses for a daily limit of $375. Note: Not available on the Basic plan.
- Alternative transport expenses: If you have to find alternative transport to a wedding, funeral, conference, sporting event, tour or other prepaid travel arrangement, because your scheduled transport is cancelled, your travel insurance will pay for these additional costs. Note: Not available on the Basic plan.
- Personal liability: This feature covers you for legal liability and for the payment of compensation in case of death, bodily injury, or physical loss or damage of property as the result of an accident. You are also covered for legal expenses to settle or defend a claim made against you.
Choice of single or family cover
With American Express single trip travel insurance cover, you have the option to choose a single or family plan, which will determine the maximum cover that you have access to for each policy feature. A single plan will cover you and your dependents that are travelling with you, while a family plan provides cover for you, your spouse/de-facto partner and any dependents travelling together with you.
Nominating the geographical region of your journey
You must nominate the geographical region of your intended destination with the American Express single trip travel insurance policy. When you choose the highest geographical region - Region 4, you will be automatically covered for lower geographical regions.
There are 4 geographical regions that are available through the American Express single trip travel insurance plan:
- Region 1 - Pacific: American Samoa, Ashmore & Cartier Islands, Bali, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Island, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Heard Island & McDonald Island, Kiribati, Marshall Island, Micronesia, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Norfolk Island, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Wallis & Futuna Islands.
- Region 2 - Asia: excluding Russia, Japan and Bali.
- Region 3 - Europe: Europe, Russia and United Kingdom.
- Region 4 - Worldwide: North, Central and South America (including Hawaii and the Caribbean), Africa, Japan, Middle East, Antarctica and other destinations that are not listed as above.
Cover for pre-existing medical conditions
You will be automatically covered by American Express single trip travel insurance plan if you have a pre-existing medical condition as listed on your policy. American Express will provide cover at no extra cost for 43 pre-existing conditions, provided that you have not been hospitalised for the condition in the past two years.
Some of these pre-existing medical conditions include:
- Bell's palsy
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Diabetes type I and II
- Hiatus hernia
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Meniere's disease
- Pernicious anaemia
- Sleep apnoea
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
Make sure that you read the terms and conditions of each pre-existing medical condition and have a clear understanding of what you will or will not be covered for.
How much cover will I get?
The amount of cover you will be eligible for will depend on the policy type you have chosen - single or family cover, which can be found from the following table:
|Cancellation fees and lost deposits||Not applicable||$5,000||$10,000||Unlimited||$10,0000|
|Overseas emergency medical assistance||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Not applicable|
|Overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Not applicable|
|Additional travel and accommodation expenses||Not applicable||$25,000||$25,000||Unlimited||Not applicable|
|Hospital cash allowance||Not applicable||Not applicable||$6,000 ($100 per day)||$6,000 ($100 per day)||Not applicable|
|Accidental death||Not applicable||Not applicable||$25,000||$25,000||Not applicable|
|Loss of income||Not applicable||Not applicable||$10,400||$10,400||Not applicable|
|Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques||$2,500||$5,000||$10,000||$15,000||$5,000|
|Theft of cash||Not applicable||Not applicable||$250||$250||Not applicable|
|Luggage and personal effects delay expenses||Not applicable||$250||$500||$500||$250|
|Travel delay expenses||Not applicable||$500||$2,000||$2,000||Not applicable|
|Special events||Not applicable||$2,000||$2,500||$2,500||Not applicable|
|Rental vehicle excess||Optional Extra||Optional Extra||$3000||$3000||$3000|
|Resumption of Journeys over 21 days||Not applicable||$3,000||$3,000||$3,000||Not Applicable|
|Delayed Luggage Allowance||Not Applicable||$250||$500||$500||$250|
|Accidental Loss of Life and Permanent Loss||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||$25,000||$25,000||Not Applicable|
Additional cover options available
You also have the option to purchase additional cover with your American Express Single Trip Travel Insurance plan if you are looking to secure comprehensive protection for the duration of your trip. These include:
If you are going away for a ski trip, it may be worth looking into adding snow cover option onto your single trip travel insurance policy. For an additional premium, you will be covered for:
- Own snow sport equipment - up to $1,500
- Snow sport equipment hire - up to $1,500
- Unused winter sports costs - up to $750
- Piste closure - up to $1,500
- Bad weather and avalanche closure - up to $750
Taking some quality time for a tee off at the golf range during your trip? Consider golf cover option to include on your American Express single trip travel insurance plan, which provides cover for:
- Own golf equipment - up to $1,500
- Golf equipment hire - up to $1,500
- Golf green fees - up to $500
Specified Luggage and Personal Effects Cover
You can buy additional cover for your specified personal items of up to $5,000 for an additional premium. This cover is not applicable to jewellery, snow sport equipment, bicycles or water sport equipment (with the exception of surfboards).
Rental Vehicle Excess Cover
Rental vehicle excess cover option of up to $3,000 is available for an additional premium with your single trip travel insurance policy.
How to apply for this policy
To apply for travel insurance with American Express, you must be:
- Under 80 years of age,
- An Australian resident,
- Purchasing the policy before you leave for your trip and
- your journey must begin and end in Australia.
The American Express single trip travel insurance policy can help you travel with confidence and security, knowing you have a powerful ally on your side and someone to call no matter what happens, anywhere in the world.
If you apply for American Express single trip policy and change your mind about the cover, you have a 14 day cooling off period, during which you can generally receive a full refund of any premiums paid.