Learn how you can earn and use your American Express Membership Rewards Points for purchases made on Amazon.com.
Amazon.com is one of the biggest online marketplaces in the world, offering everything from entertainment and technology to homewares, sports gear and groceries. It also has close ties to American Express. In fact, in America, Amex cardholders can link their Membership Rewards accounts with their Amazon accounts to make direct purchases using Rewards Points.
Even though Amazon isn’t directly partnered with American Express in Australia, you can still earn Membership Rewards Points and get other benefits for shopping via the American website. What’s more, you can now use your accumulated Membership Rewards Points to pay for transactions made on Amazon.com. This guide will explain how.
American Express Credit Card Offer
The Qantas American Express Ultimate card allows you to receive up to 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you meet the minimum spend requirements.
- $450 p.a. annual fee
- 20.74% p.a. on purchases
- 0% p.a. for 12 months with 1% balance transfer fee on balance transfers
- Up to 44 days interest free
- Minimum Income Requirement of $65,000 p.a.
How to earn American Express Membership Rewards Points for shopping at Amazon
Earning Membership Rewards Points for your Amazon purchases is easy and automatic. When you pay for Amazon purchases using your American Express credit card, you earn points for every $1 spent according to your card’s earn rate.
With some cards, you may also earn more points per $1 spent if the purchase is made in another currency on Amazon. For example, you earn 2 points per $1 spent on foreign currency purchases made using an American Express Velocity Platinum card.
You can use the following steps to earn American Express reward points for your Amazon shopping:
- Log in to your Amazon.com.au or Amazon.com account.
- Browse items.
- Select the items you wish to buy and follow the prompts to the checkout.
- Enter your American Express credit card details.
- Finalise the order.
How to redeem American Express rewards points for Amazon shopping
Using American Express’s “Select + Pay With Points” option, you can now pay for your Amazon purchases with Membership Rewards Points. You can do this via the Amex app or by logging in online.
The conversion rate is currently 1,000 Membership Rewards Points = AUD$7, with 1,000 being the minimum number of points required for a transaction. There is no limit to the number of reward points you can use, and you can use them to offset as many Amazon transactions as you like.
Steps for redeeming Membership Rewards Points on Amazon purchases:
- Make your Amazon purchase and pay for it.
- Log in to the Amex Australia app or Membership Rewards account online, and select the purchase.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the transaction page.
- Select “Use Points”.
- Read and agree with the terms and conditions, then press “Use Points” again to complete the process.
Note that you may have to wait for a transaction to show up on your statement before choosing this option. After completing the steps above, the credit will take up to three business days to be reflected in your account. If processed after the statement month’s closing date, it will be reflected in next month’s statement.
Other American Express and Amazon offers
From time to time, Amex and Amazon may also run other promotions for Australian customers. Some examples of previous offers for using your Amex card on Amazon include:
- 15% off all eligible orders of USD$100 or more (excluding cost of shipping)
- Free international shipping on orders over USD$100
- Receive $20 cashback when you spend more than $20 on Amazon
- Get a $15 statement credit when you spend $60 or more
Note that these offers are seasonal and usually limited to a set number of customers. You can check for current offers through your Amazon and Amex accounts, or by searching online before making a purchase on Amazon. You can also discover current Amazon offers and promo codes here.
Key factors to consider
Before shopping on Amazon with your Amex card, you may wish to consider these details:
- Foreign transaction fees. American Express applies a currency conversion fee worth 3% of the transaction for any charge processed in a currency other than Australian dollars. If your Amazon purchase is in US dollars (or any other currency), this cost could outweigh any derived benefits from the offer.
- Shipping fees. Depending on the size and weight of your item and its seller, shipping fees can become a huge added expense for Amazon purchases. With many Australian-based stores and other online competitors offering similar deals to Amazon, make sure you’re not paying more for fees than is worthwhile when you shop online.
- Shipping times. If you need an item urgently, buying it from Amazon probably isn’t the way to go. Expedited shipping is sometimes possible, but this would add heavily to the costs.
- Processing times. It can take several working days for your order to be processed. This also factors into delivery time if you need your purchase urgently.
- Interest charges. If you’re carrying an outstanding balance on your Amex card, you will not enjoy any interest-free days. This means that interest will begin accruing from the day of your purchase, which can further contribute to costs outweighing the possible benefits of paying with your card.
Earning reward points and spending them is a large (and fun) part of having an American Express credit card. It’s always good to stay on top of current Amex offers and maximise your shopping benefits, and make sure that you’re also staying on top of your credit card statements and repayments so that the fun doesn’t stop.Back to top