Travel more with 55,000 bonus Qantas Points, a yearly $450 Travel Credit and premium perks with the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card.
The Qantas American Express Ultimate Card gives you the ability to earn 55,000 bonus Qantas Points if you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on eligible purchases within three months of card membership.
Cardholders can also look forward to tons of travel benefits including domestic and international travel insurance covers, complimentary Qantas Club lounge invitations and free membership to Qantas epiQure Premium. You can also take advantage of a $450 Qantas Travel Credit every year for eligible international or domestic Qantas flights when you book and pay online through American Express Travel.
|Product Name||Qantas American Express Ultimate Card|
|Rewards Program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Balance transfer rate (p.a.)||0% p.a. for 12 months with 1% balance transfer fee|
|Balance Transfer Revert Rate|
The interest rate after the balance transfer ends.
|Purchase Rate (20.74% p.a.)|
|Balance Transfer Limit||70% of available credit limit|
|Maximum Balance Transfer Amount||$10,000|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||20.74% p.a.|
|Annual fee||$450 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit|
This is the lowest credit card limit that you can request. It is possible to apply for a higher credit card limit but not a lower one than this figure.
|Max credit limit|
This credit limit may not be issued to you immediately on application. This is the maximum credit limit for this card which must be applied for or offered to you after you are approved and have already opened the account.
|Card Type||American Express|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available To Temporary Residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
|Annual fee||$450 p.a.|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2.5% or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You'll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|Gambling Transactions Allowed||No|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Number of Additional Cardholders||4|
- Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 within three months of card membership.
- Earn up to 2.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases.
- You can use your yearly $450 Qantas Travel Credit for international or domestic flights when you book and pay online through American Express Travel.
- Enjoy two complimentary Qantas Club lounge invitations each year.
- You'll get a complimentary Qantas epiQure Premium Membership.
- Relatively high annual fee of $450 p.a.
- Income before tax must be $65,000 p.a. or over.
|Rewards Program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Bonus Points||55,000 bonus points|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (AMEX)||1.5|
|Rewards Points per $ (AMEX) Cap||Uncapped|
Qantas American Express Ultimate Card review
The Qantas American Express Ultimate Card is a frequent flyer card that links to your Qantas Frequent Flyer program account, so you get a host of options when it comes to redeeming your accumulated points. This card gives you the ability to earn Qantas Points faster with the highest earn rate in Australia, where you can earn up to 2.5 Qantas Points per dollar spent on eligible Qantas purchases and up to 1.5 points per dollar on your everyday spend.
Booking travel tickets using this card brings with it an array of complimentary travel insurance covers, and purchases made using this card receive protection through complimentary covers. This card can also work well for people who’re considering transferring balances from existing cards to save on interest.
Benefits of using the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card
If you get the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card, you can look forward to various benefits, which include the following:
- Bonus Qantas Points offer. Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on eligible purchases within the first three months of opening the card account. This offer is only available to new card members and bank-issued American Express companion cardholders.
- Points per $1 spent. Qantas Points you earn using this card transfer to your Qantas Frequent Flyer program account. You earn 1.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent on most everyday purchases, and 0.5 Qantas Points per dollar spent with government bodies. You will earn 1 additional Qantas Point per $1 spent when you use your card to pay for Qantas passenger flights that are purchased directly from Qantas, and for Qantas Frequent Flyer and Qantas Club membership joining and annual fees.
- $450 Qantas Travel Credit. The Qantas American Express Ultimate rewards you with a $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year, which you can use for eligible international or domestic Qantas flights. This will be credited to your account when you book and pay online through American Express Travel.
- Airport lounge passes. Cardholders can also take advantage of two entries to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International (Kingsford Smith) Airport T1 or Melbourne International Airport T2 each year. You will also receive two yearly complimentary Qantas Club lounge invitations after your first card spend each anniversary year on selected Qantas products and services in Australia.
- Complimentary insurance covers. Booking travel tickets through this card gives you complimentary medical emergency expense cover, travel cancellation cover, transport accident cover, travel inconvenience insurance, and baggage, money and documentation cover. Purchases you make using this card receive protection through refund protection and purchase protection.
- Complimentary Qantas epiQure Premium Membership. You can apply to Qantas epiQure Premium for free as long as you continue to hold your Qantas American Express Ultimate Card. This program rewards you with 3 Qantas Points per $1 spent on qantasepiqure.com.au.
- Mobile payment technology. Enjoy a simpler way of paying in stores or within participating apps. Simply hold your iPhone, Samsung or Android device near the contactless reader to make transactions.
- Balance transfer offer. A limited period promotional balance transfer offer gives you the ability to pay 0% p.a. interest on balance transfers for the first 12 months, allowing you to save considerably in the form of interest. A one-time 1% balance transfer fee applies.
Features of the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card
If you’re considering applying for the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card take a look at just what to expect:
- Annual fee. This card attracts an ongoing annual fee of $450.
- Interest-free period. If you pay the account’s closing balance completely every statement period you can make use of up to 44 interest-free days on purchases.
- Supplementary card. You can get a supplementary card for anyone over 18 years of age, and supplementary cards earn Qantas Points too. Supplementary cards don’t attract any extra annual account keeping fees.
- Card security. You can sign up for instant alerts without paying any additional fees, so you know of transactions made using your card in real time. The online fraud protection guarantee ensures you don’t have any liability to pay for fraudulent or unauthorised transactions.
How to apply for the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card
You can apply for the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card online by completing the secure online application, where you will need to fill out your details and wait for the approval for your card. Before you start applying, bear in mind you have to meet the following eligibility criteria.
- You are over 18 years of age
- You are an Australian citizen, a permanent Australian resident, or hold a valid Business Long Stay Visa (Subclass 457)
- You earn at least $65,000 p.a. as pre-tax income
- Only new American Express cardholders can take advantage of the bonus points or balance transfer offer. So, if you held an American Express card in the last 18 months, you won't be able to apply for either. This doesn't apply to dual American Express and Visa or Mastercard credit cards issued by another bank.
- Personal details like your date of birth, marital status, and number of dependents
- Contact details like your residential address, email address, and phone number
- Employment details like your employer’s name, phone number, and address
- Details surrounding your income and expenses
- Details of existing assets and liabilities
If you’re looking for a frequent flyer card linked to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program that enables you to earn points faster, you can consider applying for the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card. Complimentary insurance covers and travel benefits make this card all the more attractive, as does the fact that you can save some money by using its balance transfer offer.
These features, you should remember, come at a price, given that you would have to keep paying a considerable annual fee. Since there are other cards that offer similar features, it is ideal that you take some time to compare a few before arriving at a decision.