Qantas American Express Ultimate Card
This is an impressive frequent flyer credit card that offers 110,000 bonus Qantas Points, a $200 statement credit and a yearly Qantas travel credit.
The Qantas American Express Ultimate earns up to 1.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on everyday purchases with no points cap – and 1 additional point per $1 for spending with Qantas. If you’re new to Amex, you can boost your Qantas Frequent Flyer balance with 110,000 bonus Qantas Points and a $200 statement credit when you apply for this card online by 27 October 2021 and spend at least $3,000 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months.
This Amex card also gives you a $450 Qantas Travel Credit every year, which you could use to justify the $450 annual fee. Its other perks include 2 complimentary Qantas Club lounge invitations and 2 American Express lounge invitations every year, complimentary travel insurance and a complimentary Qantas Wine Premium membership.
Per $ spent
|Product Name||Qantas American Express Ultimate Card|
|Rewards program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Purchase rate||20.74% p.a.|
|Interest-free period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit||$3,000|
|Max credit limit||$50,000|
|Card type||American Express|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Available to temporary residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
- 110,000 bonus Qantas Points and a $200 statement credit
- Up to 2.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases in Australia, uncapped
- $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year, plus complimentary travel insurance cover
- 2 complimentary Qantas Club lounge invitations each year
- Complimentary Qantas Wine Premium membership
- High annual fee of $450
- High 20.74% p.a. interest rate for purchases
- Only offers up to 44 days interest-free on purchases, compared to other cards that offer 55 days
|Rewards program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1.25|
|Rewards points cap||Uncapped|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2.5% of the closing balance or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$30|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||4|
Amy Bradney-George has been writing about personal finance for more than 13 years – including over 600 articles as a senior writer for Finder. Her work has also appeared in publications including Money Magazine, The Sydney Morning Herald, Financy, ABC News Australia and Equity Magazine. Amy has a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Drama from Griffith University.
How to applyIf you've compared frequent flyer credit cards and decided on the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card, you can apply online in around 10 minutes and may get a response within 60 seconds. Before you get started, make sure you meet the eligibility criteria and have all the essential documents and details to complete the application.
- Minimum income. You must earn a minimum of $65,000 per year.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold a current long term visa (12 months or more). Student visas are not eligible.
- New cardholder. The introductory offer on this card is only available if you have not held another card issued by American Express in the past 18 months.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old.
- Credit history. You must not have a history of bad debt or payment defaults. If you don't know your credit score or what's on your file, you can get a free copy of your credit report through Finder.
- Personal documents. This covers your full name, email address, date of birth, driver's licence number, marital status, number of dependants and contact number.
- Frequent flyer number. You'll need to provide your Qantas Frequent Flyer number to collect points with this card. If you're not a Qantas Frequent Flyer member yet, check out our guide on how to join for free.
- Employment details. This includes your current income, employment status, job title and your employer's contact details. You may also be asked for recent payslips, your most recent tax return or your accountant's contact details (particularly if you're self-employed).
- Financial details. As well as your income, provide details of your savings, shares or other assets. You also need to include details of any existing debts and credit accounts, as well as estimates of your regular household expenses.
- Bonus Qantas Points. You'll get 110,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply for a new card by 27 October 2021, get approved and spend $3,000 or more on eligible purchases within the first 3 months. Note that eligible purchases include most everyday spending but do not include cash advances, interest, fees and charges or traveller's cheques and foreign currencies.
- $200 statement credit. When you meet the spend requirement for the bonus Qantas Points offer, you'll also get $200 back on your account. Both the bonus points and the statement credit will be added to your account within 8 to 10 weeks of meeting the spend requirement.
- Shop Small points offer. Earn extra 3 Qantas Points per $1 spent and support small businesses. Just save the American Express Shop Small offer to your card and spend with participating businesses by 31 March 2022. The offer is valid both in store and online and you can earn a maximum total of 40,000 extra points. Check out Finder's news story on Shop Small for a breakdown of how it works.
- Complimentary Qantas Wine Premium membership. Enjoy free delivery on all orders within Australia, 3 points per $1 spent on wine (in addition to the points earned through your card) and exclusive member offers through Qantas Wine. Note that you need to enter your complimentary membership code in the "apply promo code" field at the checkout to reduce your membership price to $0 (instead of $99).
- $450 Qantas Travel Credit. The Qantas American Express Ultimate Card rewards you with a $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year, which you can use for eligible international or domestic Qantas flights booked through American Express Travel. You can redeem the travel credit in the first year you have the card, providing you have paid your first statement for the account. In subsequent years, you can redeem it after the anniversary date of opening the account, as long as you have paid the annual fee for that year and your account is not overdue. When making a booking, you need to log in to your account and select "Use Travel Credit" on the checkout page.
- Airport lounge passes. This card gives you two complimentary Qantas Club lounge invitations after your first card spend each anniversary year when paying for selected Qantas products and services in Australia. You will also receive two entries to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International (Kingsford Smith) Airport T1 or Melbourne International Airport T2 each year.
- Uncapped Qantas Points per $1 spent. Regardless of how much you spend each month, you'll earn 1.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on most purchases made with this card, except for spending with government bodies in Australia, which will earn you 0.5 points per $1 spent.
- Additional point per $1 for Qantas spending. Book Qantas flights with a QF flight number through qantas.com.au or pay for Qantas Frequent Flyer and Qantas Club membership joining/annual fees to collect 1 additional point per $1 spent. This gives you a way to earn up to 2.25 points per $1 spent.
- Mobile payment technology. Enjoy a simpler way of paying in stores or within participating apps. Simply hold your iPhone, Samsung or Android device near the contactless reader to make transactions.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. This card charges a $450 annual fee.
- Interest rate. The Qantas American Express Ultimate Card charges an interest rate of 20.74% p.a. on purchases.
- Interest-free period. If you pay your balance in full by the due date on each statement, you can enjoy up to 44 interest-free days on purchases.
- Additional cards. You can get up to 4 additional cards for anyone over 18 years of age. Additional cards don't attract an extra fee and additional card members can earn Qantas Points too. However, you will be responsible for managing the account and card balance.
- Foreign transaction fee. A 3% fee applies for transactions made in a foreign currency overseas or online.