Qantas American Express Premium Credit Card
Enjoy travel perks with 80,000 bonus Qantas Points and complimentary lounge invitations, plus get a $200 statement credit with a new Qantas American Express Premium.
With a rewarding frequent flyer program, complimentary insurance covers and lounge passes, the Qantas American Express Premium credit card offers a wide range of perks and savings.
Per $ spent
|Product Name||Qantas American Express Premium Card|
|Rewards program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Purchase rate||20.74% p.a.|
|Interest-free period||44 days|
|Min credit limit||$2,000|
|Max credit limit||$25,000|
|Card type||American Express|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Available to temporary residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
- 80,000 bonus Qantas Points & $200 Statement Credit
- Plan It Instalments for paying off your credit card balance in equal monthly instalments, with 0% p.a. interest and a fixed monthly fee
- Up to 4 additional card members at no extra cost
- Complimentary purchase and travel insurance covers
- Only offers up to 44 days interest-free on purchases, as compared to other cards that offer 55 days
- Charges a relatively high annual fee of $249
|Rewards program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1|
|Rewards points cap||Uncapped|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2.5% of the closing balance or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$30|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||4|
Sally McMullen is a creative content producer at Finder. Sally has written about credit cards for almost 5 years, authoring almost 900 articles on Finder alone. She has also been published in Yahoo Finance, Dynamic Business, Financy and Mamamia, as well as Music Feeds and Rolling Stone. Sally has a Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies majoring in Journalism (Hons) from the University of Wollongong.
How to apply
You can apply for the Qantas American Express Premium credit card online in 10 minutes and receive a response within 60 seconds. Before you apply, check that you meet the eligibility criteria and have the necessary information to complete the application.
- Income. You must earn an annual income of $40,000 or more.
- New card members. The bonus Qantas Points offer and the statement credit offer are not available to those who hold or have held an American Express in the previous 18 months.
- Credit history. You must have a good credit score and history with no evidence of bad debt or payment defaults. If you don't know your credit score or what's on your file, you can get a free copy of your credit report through Finder.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or holder of a current long term visa (12 months or more, not including student visas) to be eligible to apply.
- Age. You'll need to be at least 18 years of age to apply.
- Personal information. This includes your full name, date of birth, residential address and contact details
- Proof of identification. Such as your driver's licence, passport, Medicare card, and/or Australian birth certificate.
- Income and finances. You'll need to confirm your annual income with recent bank statements and payslips. You may also need to provide details of any financial liabilities and assets.
- Employment. You'll need to confirm your current place of employment and provide your employer's contact details.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer details. To receive your Qantas Points, you'll need to include your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership number.
- Balance transfer. If you're conducting a balance transfer, you'll need to confirm the amount of the debt you're transferring and provide the relevant account number from your original account.
- 80,000 bonus Qantas Points. You'll receive these bonus Qantas Points when you apply online by 02 February 2021, are approved and spend $3,000 on eligible purchases using your new card within the first 3 months of card membership. Eligible purchases include most everyday spending but do not include cash advances, interest, fees and charges or traveller's cheques and foreign currencies.
- $200 back. You'll also get $200 back to your new Qantas American Express Premium card when you apply online by 02 February 2021, are approved and spend $3,000 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months. You'll receive both the $200 statement credit and bonus Qantas Points within 8 to 10 weeks of meeting the spend requirement. Note that you only have to meet the spend requirement once to be eligible for bonus points and the statement credit.
- Plan It Instalments. Qantas American Express Premium also offers a feature that gives you a flexible way of paying off your credit card balance in equal monthly instalments, with 0% p.a. interest and a fixed monthly fee.
- Qantas Club Lounge invitations. You can travel in style and wait for your flight away from the crowds while enjoying complimentary food and beverages with two complimentary single entry invitations to the Qantas Club Lounge at select airports each year. You'll receive your lounge invitations after your first spend on selected Qantas products and services each membership year.
- Qantas Points per $1. You will earn 1 Qantas Point for every dollar spent on eligible purchases, and 0.5 Qantas Points per dollar spent with the Australian government. You will earn an additional 1 Qantas Point per $1 on select Qantas spend.
- Complimentary travel insurance. You can travel with peace of mind and save on necessary costs with complimentary travel insurance. You'll be covered for up to $200 for delayed flight departures with travel inconvenience cover, up to $200,000 with transport accident cover and can access up to $2,500,000 for medical costs with medical emergency expenses insurance. If your baggage, money or documents are lost or damaged, you can claim up to $5,000 and you'll be covered up to $7,500 for any travel cancellations. This travel insurance also covers your eligible spouse or dependent children travelling with you.
- Complimentary Qantas Wine Premium Membership. You can apply to Qantas Wine Premium for free as long as you continue to hold your Qantas American Express Premium Card. This program rewards you with 3 Qantas Points per $1 spent on Qantas Wine purchases in addition to the standard earn rates you can expect when spending with your card.
- Refund protection. Amex will credit your account if you're refused a refund on an unused eligible purchase within 90 days of buying it.
- Purchase protection. This offers cover for repairs or refunds on eligible items if they're accidentally broken or stolen within 90 days of purchase.
- Mobile payment integration. You can set up the Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay wallet to make contactless payments with your compatible smart device.
- Global Card Support. You can contact the Global Card Support team at any time of the day or night from anywhere in the world.
- Online fraud protection. You won't be held responsible for unauthorised or fraudulent charges on your card if you notify American Express upon discovery of the activity.
- Emergency card replacement. If your card is lost or stolen, you can get a replacement card within 48 hours virtually anywhere in the world.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. This card charges a $249 p.a. annual fee.
- Purchase interest rate. You'll be charged 20.74% p.a. interest on purchases.
- Interest-free days. When you pay your balance in full by the statement due date, you can take advantage of up to 44 interest-free days.
- Additional cards. You can request up to 4 additional cards for free to maximise the number of Qantas Points you can earn. Additional card members must be 16 years of age or over and the primary cardholder will be liable for any transactions made using these cards.