American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card
Receive a yearly $200 Travel Credit, complimentary travel insurance and uncapped Membership Rewards with the Amex Platinum Edge.
The Platinum Edge boasts premium perks to help you get more value from your spending. You’ll earn Membership Rewards points, lounge passes and can save with complimentary travel insurance.
You’ll also receive a $200 credit each year to redeem for flights, accommodation and more through Amex Travel. If you’re looking to save money on interest, the 0% p.a. interest rate on balance transfers for 12 months could be helpful. Note that this card charges a 1% balance transfer fee.
Balance transfer rate
for 12 months with 1% balance transfer fee
Per $ spent (American Express)
- Earn up to 3 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent.
- $200 Travel Credit every year to redeem through American Express Travel
- Balance transfer rate of 0% p.a. for 12 months.
- A one-time 1% balance transfer fee applies.
- The standard purchase rate of 20.74% p.a. is relatively high.
Sally McMullen is Finder's credit cards and frequent flyer editor by day and a music maven by night. Her byline can be spotted on Yahoo Finance, Dynamic Business, Financy and Mamamia as well as Music Feeds and Rolling Stone.
You can transfer your points to partnered frequent flyer programs. For example, you can currently exchange your Membership Rewards for Velocity Points at a 2:1 rate.
This card charges an $195 annual fee, but you can help offset this with the $200 Amex Travel credit you’ll receive each year.
How to applyYou can apply for the American Express Platinum Edge Credit card online in 10 minutes and should receive a response within 60 seconds. Before you start the application, make sure you've met the eligibility requirements and organised the necessary documents.
- Income. You must have a personal gross income of $50,000 or more per year.
- Residency This card is only available to Australian citizens, permanent residents or Business Long Stay Visa holders.
- Credit history. You must have no history of bad debt or payment defaults.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Personal information. Such as your full name, contact details and driver's licence number.
- Employment information. Including your position, length of employment, salary and your employer's contact details.
- Financial information. This includes your annual salary and any investments such as shares or savings. You'll also need to provide information regarding any existing debts and ongoing financial responsibilities such as rent, mortgages, bill payments or other household expenses.
- Balance transfer details. If you plan to transfer a balance to this card, have your account details from the original card handy.
- $200 travel credit. With an American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card, you can look forward to a $200 travel credit every year. You can redeem it against any single eligible travel booking of a $200 or more through AMEX travel. The travel credit can be used for 365 days from the date of issue, cannot be carried forward and can only be used once you've paid the annual fee and minimum payment by the due date.
- Points per $1 spent. You will earn 3 points per $1 spent on purchases at major supermarkets (including Coles and Woolworths) and petrol stations, 2 points per $1 spent in foreign currency overseas and online, and 1 point per $1 spent on most other purchases including government, utilities and insurance spending.
- Rewards. The Membership Rewards Ascent Program provides a range of ways for you to use your points on shopping or travel rewards, with options including merchandise, cashback, gift cards and travel bookings. You can also transfer your Membership Rewards points to frequent flyer programs including Velocity Frequent Flyer and Cathay Pacific Asia Miles. For the transfer rates read our full guide on transferring rewards points to frequent flyer.
- Balance transfer offer. You can repay an existing debt with a balance transfer rate of 0% p.a. for 12 months. A one-time balance transfer fee of 1% of the balance transfer amount will apply. You can transfer up to $10,000 or 70% of your approved credit limit (whichever is lower) from non-Amex accounts. At the end of the introductory period, any remaining debt from the balance transfer will attract the 20.74% p.a. purchase rate.
- Complimentary travel insurance. When you pay for travel on your card, you can take advantage of complimentary travel insurances. You receive overseas medical emergency expenses cover up to $2,500,000, travel cancellation cover up to $10,000, personal liability cover up to $1,000,000, as well as baggage, money and documentation cover up to $10,000. The travel inconvenience policy may also cover your missed connections, flight and luggage delays.
- Purchase insurances. This card offers purchase protection for stolen or broken items, refund protection insurance and extended warranty coverage through the "Buyer's Advantage" program.
- Mobile payment compatibility. Eligible for use with the Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay wallets, so you can make contactless payments with your smartphone or device.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. The American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card attracts an annual fee of $195.
- Interest rate. This card has an ongoing purchase rate of 20.74% p.a.
- Interest-free days. This card offers up to 55 days interest-free on purchases if you pay your balance off in full by the due date on your statement. Interest-free days don't apply if you're paying off a debt from a balance transfer.
- Currency conversion fee. You'll be charged 3% for every transaction made overseas or in a foreign currency online.
- Card security. American Express provides fraud-monitoring services and an Online Fraud Protection Guarantee so you won't be held responsible for unauthorised charges that are detected and reported immediately. It also offers a 24/7 Global Card Support service.
- Free additional cards. Customers can get up to 4 additional cards with $0 annual fees.