Receive a $200 Travel Credit every year, complimentary travel insurance and uncapped Membership Rewards points for your spending with the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card.
The American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card features premium perks designed to add value to your account. These include membership to the Ascent Rewards program, complimentary domestic and international travel insurance, a balance transfer offer and a huge range of reward redemption options.
Plus, you'll receive a $200 credit to redeem against any single eligible travel booking of $200 or more (where applicable) when booking online through AMEX travel.
|Product Name||American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card|
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards Ascent|
|Balance transfer rate (p.a.)||0% p.a. for 12 months with 1% balance transfer fee|
|Balance Transfer Revert Rate|
The interest rate after the balance transfer ends.
|Purchase Rate (20.74% p.a.)|
|Balance Transfer Limit||70% of available credit limit|
|Maximum Balance Transfer Amount||$10,000|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||20.74% p.a.|
|Annual fee||$195 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit|
This is the lowest credit card limit that you can request. It is possible to apply for a higher credit card limit but not a lower one than this figure.
|Max credit limit|
This credit limit may not be issued to you immediately on application. This is the maximum credit limit for this card which must be applied for or offered to you after you are approved and have already opened the account.
|Card Type||American Express|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available To Temporary Residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
|Annual fee||$195 p.a.|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2.5% or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You'll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|Gambling Transactions Allowed||No|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Number of Additional Cardholders||4|
- Earn up to 3 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent.
- Platinum cardholders get complimentary membership to the Ascent Rewards program.
- Receive a $200 Travel Credit every year and can redeem it against any single eligible travel booking of $200 or more where applicable when booking online through American Express Travel.
- This card comes with an introductory balance transfer rate of 0% p.a. for 12 months.
- A one-time 1% balance transfer fee applies.
- The standard purchase rate of 20.74% p.a. is relatively high.
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards Ascent|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (AMEX)||1|
|Rewards Points per $ (AMEX) Cap||Uncapped|
American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card review
The American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card offers a number of platinum features and benefits for cardholders. Such perks include complimentary travel insurance, a $200 credit for flight benefit, travel cancellation cover, purchase protection and online fraud protection guarantee to offer a range of extra benefits while shopping.
If you’re a frequent traveller who spends regularly using your credit card, then the Amex Platinum Edge could be worth considering. Compare the features of this card to decide if it will suit your needs.
Benefits of the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card
- $200 travel credit. With an American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card, you can look forward to a $200 travel credit every year, which you can redeem against any single eligible travel booking of a $200 or more as long as you book through AMEX travel. The travel credit can be used for 365 days from the date of issue, cannot be carried forward and can only be used once you’ve paid the annual fee and minimum payment by the due date. If you cancel your travel booking, your credit for that year will be forfeited.
- Points per $1 spent. This card allows you to earn up to 3 points per $1 spent on purchases at major supermarkets (including Coles and Woolworths), 2 points per $1 spent at major petrol stations, and 1 point per $1 spent on most other purchases.
- Rewards. The Membership Rewards Ascent Program provides a range of ways for you to use your points on shopping or travel rewards, with options including merchandise, cashback, gift cards and travel bookings. You can also transfer your Membership Rewards points to frequent flyer programs including Velocity Frequent Flyer, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer and Cathay Pacific Asia Miles. For the transfer rates read our full guide on transferring rewards points to frequent flyer.
- Balance transfer offer. The American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card offers a balance transfer rate of 0% p.a. for 12 months. Note that a one-off credit establishment fee worth 1% of the balance transfer amount applies. There is a maximum balance transfer amount of $10,000 or 70% of your approved credit limit, whichever is less.
- Points for government and utility charges. If you use this card to pay for utilities or government charges, you'll earn 0.5 points per $1 spent. This includes ATO payments.
- Complimentary travel insurance. When you pay for travel on your card, you will receive a range of complimentary travel insurances. You receive overseas medical emergency expenses cover up to $2,500,000, travel cancellation cover up to $10,000, personal liability cover up to $1,000,000, as well as baggage, money and documentation cover up to $10,000. The travel inconvenience policy may also cover your missed connections, flight and luggage delays.
- Purchase insurances. This card offers a range of insurance covers for purchases, including purchase protection for stolen or broken items, refund protection insurance and extended warranty coverage through the "Buyer's Advantage" program.
- Free supplementary cards. Customers can get up to 4 supplementary cards with no additional annual fees.
- Eligible for use with Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay. Use your smartphone to pay for purchases by linking this card to your Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay app.
Features of the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card
- Annual fee. The American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card attracts an annual fee of $195.
- Interest rate. This card has a standard variable purchase rate of 20.74% p.a.
- Balance transfer revert rate. If you opt to take advantage of the balance transfer offer, any amount remaining at the end of the 12-month introductory period will revert to the standard variable purchase rate of 20.74% p.a.
- Interest-free days. This card offers up to 55 days interest-free on purchases if you pay your balance off in full by the due date on your statement.
- Currency conversion fee. A 3% fee applies for every transaction made overseas or on a foreign currency online.
- Card security. American Express provides fraud-monitoring services and an Online Fraud Protection Guarantee so you won't be held responsible for unauthorised charges that are detected and reported immediately. It also offers a 24/7 Global Card Support service.
How to apply for the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card
Applying for the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card is simple and can be done online in a few minutes. But before that, make sure you meet the following eligibility requirements.
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or hold a Business Long Stay Visa
- You must have a personal gross income of $50,000 p.a. or more
- You must have no history of bad debt or payment default
If you meet the requirements, you can start your application. Make sure you have the following details and documents handy to make the process as smooth as possible.
- Personal information. This includes your full name, contact details and driver's licence number.
- Employment information. Including your position, length of employment, salary and your employer's contact details.
- Financial information. Meaning any assets such as investments, shares or savings, as well as debts and ongoing financial responsibilities such as rent, mortgages, bill payments or other household expenses.
American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card has benefits and features that are designed to suit big spenders and frequent travellers, with rewards, a complimentary domestic and international travel insurance as some of the highlights. It also has a high standard interest rate and annual fee, so it's important to weigh up the benefits and costs then compare this card to a range of other products so you can choose a credit card that's right for your needs.