American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card
Receive a yearly $200 Travel Credit, complimentary travel insurance and uncapped Membership Rewards points.
The Amex Platinum Edge gives you a way to get more value from your spending with uncapped points per $1 spent and a yearly $200 Travel Credit that you can redeem for flights, accommodation and more. Plus other premium perks including complimentary travel and purchase insurances.
Per $ spent
Interest free period
|Product Name||American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card|
|Purchase rate||20.74% p.a.|
|Interest-free period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit||$3,000|
|Max credit limit||$50,000|
|Card type||American Express|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Available to temporary residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
- $200 travel credit per year
- Up to 3 points per $1 spent, uncapped
- Complimentary insurances on overseas travel and purchases
- Charges a foreign transaction fee of 3%
- The standard purchase rate of 20.74% p.a. is relatively high
|Rewards points per $ spent||1|
|Rewards points cap||Uncapped|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2.5% of the closing balance or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$30|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||4|
Amy Bradney-George has been writing about personal finance for more than 13 years – including over 600 articles as a senior writer for Finder. Her work has also appeared in publications including Money Magazine, The Sydney Morning Herald, Financy, ABC News Australia and Equity Magazine. Amy has a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Drama from Griffith University.
The Amex Platinum Edge has a tiered earn rate, meaning you’ll earn the maximum 3 points per $1 spent when you shop at major supermarkets – including Coles, Woolworths and IGA – as well as petrol stations including BP, Caltex, Shell, United and 7-Eleven. Most other purchases in Australia will earn 1 point per $1, with a higher rate of 2 points per $1 offered for spending overseas – including online. You can redeem Membership Rewards points for gift cards, cashback on your account, shopping with David Jones or Ticketmaster, travel bookings or frequent flyer point transfers to partners including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer. If you want to get the most value from a rewards card like this one, make sure you weigh the potential rewards against card costs, such as interest charges and the annual fee (if you don’t use the Travel Credit to offset it).
How to applyYou can apply for the American Express Platinum Edge Credit card online in 10 minutes and should receive a response within 60 seconds. Before you start the application, make sure you've met the eligibility requirements and organised the necessary documents.
- Income. You must have a personal gross income of $50,000 or more per year.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or holder of a current long term visa (12 months or more, not including student visas) to be eligible to apply.
- Credit history. You must have no history of bad debt or payment defaults. If you don't know your credit score or what's on your file, you can get a free copy of your credit report through Finder.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Personal information. Such as your full name, contact details and driver's licence number.
- Employment information. Including your position, length of employment, salary and your employer's contact details.
- Financial information. This includes your annual salary and any investments such as shares or savings. You'll also need to provide information regarding any existing debts and ongoing financial responsibilities such as rent, mortgages, bill payments or other household expenses.
- $200 travel credit. With an American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card, you can look forward to a $200 travel credit every year. You can redeem it against any single eligible travel booking of $200 or more through American Express Travel, including domestic and international flights, accommodation, car hire and activities. The travel credit can be used for 365 days from the date of issue, cannot be carried forward and can only be used once you've paid the annual fee and minimum payment by the due date.
- Points per $1 spent. You will earn 3 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent on purchases at major supermarkets and petrol stations, 2 points per $1 spent in foreign currency overseas and online, and 1 point per $1 spent on most other purchases including government, utilities and insurance spending. The major supermarkets that earn 3 points per $1 on eligible spending include: Bi-Lo, Coles, Harris Farm Markets, IGA, Safeway, Supabarn, Thomas Dux, Woolworths. Major petrol stations include: Ampol, BP, Caltex Woolworths, Metro, Safeway Petrol, Shell, United, Woolworths Petrol, 7 Eleven. If you want to check a supermarket or petrol station's eligibility, contact American Express on 1300 363 276 or through your Amex account.
- Rewards. The Membership Rewards Ascent Program provides a range of ways for you to use your points on shopping or travel rewards, with options including merchandise, cashback, gift cards and travel bookings. You can also transfer your Membership Rewards points to frequent flyer programs including Velocity Frequent Flyer, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer and Asia Miles. For the transfer rates read our full guide on transferring rewards points to frequent flyer programs.
- Complimentary travel insurance. When you pay for travel on your card, you can take advantage of complimentary travel insurances. You receive overseas medical emergency expenses cover up to $2,500,000, travel cancellation cover up to $10,000, personal liability cover up to $1,000,000, as well as baggage, money and documentation cover up to $10,000. The travel inconvenience policy may also cover your missed connections, flight and luggage delays.
- Purchase insurances. This card offers purchase protection for stolen or broken items, refund protection insurance and extended warranty coverage through the "Buyer's Advantage" program.
- Smartphone screen insurance. You'll receive up to $500 for screen repairs if you accidentally break your smartphone screen. A 10% excess applies per claim with a maximum of 2 claims every 12 months.
- Card security. American Express provides fraud-monitoring services and an Online Fraud Protection Guarantee so you won't be held responsible for unauthorised charges that are detected and reported immediately. It also offers a 24/7 Global Card Support service.
- Mobile payment compatibility. Eligible for use with the Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay wallets, so you can make contactless payments with your smartphone or device.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. The American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card attracts an annual fee of $195.
- Interest rate. This card has an ongoing purchase rate of 20.74% p.a.
- Interest-free days. This card offers up to 55 days interest-free on purchases if you pay your balance off in full by the due date on your statement.
- Currency conversion fee. You'll be charged 3% for every transaction made overseas or in a foreign currency online.
- Free additional cards. Customers can get up to 4 additional cards with $0 annual fees.