Receive 80,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points, a $300 Platinum Travel Credit and complimentary insurance with the American Express Platinum Charge Card.
With this charge card, you can enjoy no preset spending limit and earn Membership Rewards points for all your eligible spending, including government charges and utilities. You'll also get a $300 Platinum Travel Credit each year, airport lounge access, complimentary worldwide purchase and travel insurance and access to a concierge service.
If you apply for the American Express Platinum Card online, you can earn 80,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points by spending $1,500 within the first 3 months from card approval. That's up to four return flights from Sydney to Melbourne.
|Product Name||American Express Platinum Card|
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards Premium Ascent|
|Annual fee||$1,200 p.a.|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available To Temporary Residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
|Credit Rating Requirement||Good|
|Annual fee||$1,200 p.a.|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2.5% or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Cash Advance Fee||$2.50 or 2% of the cash advance amount (whichever is greater) on cash advance amount|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You'll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|Gambling Transactions Allowed||No|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Number of Additional Cardholders||4|
- Receive 80,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $1,500 on your new card within the first three months of card membership.
- Receive a $300 Platinum travel credit each year.
- Platinum cardholders get complimentary membership to the Ascent Premium rewards program.
- There is no preset spending limit, with purchases approved based on the lending requirements of American Express.
- This card has an annual fee of $1,200.
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards Premium Ascent|
|Bonus Points||80,000 bonus points|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (AMEX)||1|
|Rewards Points per $ (AMEX) Cap||Uncapped|
American Express Platinum Card review
The American Express Platinum Card is a high-end rewards card that earns up to 3 Membership Rewards per $1 spent. These points can be transferred to 10 airline partner programs, including a 1 to 1 conversion to Qantas or Velocity. Other premium benefits include a $300 Platinum Travel Credit each year, complimentary airport lounge access, purchase and travel insurance and platinum airline privileges.
Unlike regular credit cards, this charge card is designed to be paid off in full each statement period. If you're a big spender, this means you can enjoy the flexibility of no preset spending limit.
Benefits of the American Express Platinum Card
- 80,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points. If you apply online, are approved and spend $1,500 within the first 3 months from card approval, you'll collect 80,000 bonus points. Cardholders who currently hold or have held an American Express card in the preceding 18-month period are ineligible for this bonus points offer.
- Reward points as you spend. Get access to the highest tier of American Express Membership Rewards, Ascent Premium, and earn 3 points for every $1 spent at restaurants in Australia, 2 points per $1 on airlines, accommodation and foreign currency spending, and 1 point per $1 spent on most other everyday purchases. You'll even collect 0.5 reward points per $1 spent towards utility bills, telecommunications providers, and government bodies.
- Reward point redemption. Membership Rewards points can be transferred to 10 airline partner programs, including 1 to 1 with Qantas and Velocity. If airline miles aren’t for you, points can also be redeemed for gift cards, merchandise, hotel stays and experiences.
- $300 Platinum Travel Credit. Each year, you'll receive a $300 Platinum Travel Credit which you can use for eligible flights, unique experiences, car hire or hotel bookings made through American Express Travel. You can redeem this travel credit for anyone and no booking fees apply.
- Airline lounge access. Enjoy complimentary Priority Pass membership that gives you and a guest access to over 1,100 VIP lounges worldwide. You also receive complimentary access to luxurious Virgin Australia lounges, Delta Sky Club Lounges and American Express lounges for you and a guest when travelling on eligible flights and present your Amex Platinum card and travel documents.
- Platinum Fare Guarantee. Book flights knowing you're getting the most competitive deal with the Platinum Fare Guarantee. You'll receive price certainty on all First and Business Class fares with selected airlines. So if you find the same fare or less elsewhere, American Express will match it until 31 December 2017.
- Platinum Airline Privileges Program. Depending on the airline and destination, you can save up to 20% on standard fares found outside of the Platinum Travel Service and receive competitive deals through the Platinum Airlines Privileges Program.
- Complimentary insurances. Use this card to pay for your travel and receive complimentary insurance covers that offer protection to you, your spouse, and dependent children travelling with you. This includes transport accident cover, travel inconvenience cover, travel cancellation cover, medical emergency expenses cover, hijack cover, and resumption of journey cover. Purchases you make using this card are also covered by purchase protection cover, refund protection cover, and buyer’s advantage cover.
- Platinum concierge service. You can turn to this complimentary global round-the-clock service for assistance in matters like locating restaurants, booking tickets, finding a suitable gift, or even making arrangements for a business meeting.
- Smartphone Screen Insurance. When you pay for your smartphone or monthly contract with your platinum card, you will receive insurance for up to $500 for screen repairs in case of breakage.
- Mobile contactless payments. Whether you have an Android, Apple or Samsung device, you can save time at the cash register and pay with the convenience of your smartphone with Google Pay, Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.
Features of the American Express Platinum Card
- Annual fee. This card attracts an ongoing annual fee of $1,200.
- No preset spending. As a charge card, the American Express Platinum Card has no preset spending limit.
- Security. All of your online transactions will be protected by online fraud protection, letting you shop online with peace of mind. If you an item you've purchased with the card is lost or damaged, you can make use of purchase cover protection. With buyer's advantage, you can also look forward to extended warranty on eligible products and refund protection.
- World class service. As a platinum card, you can look forward to exclusive premium features including a 24/7 concierge, access to the American Express Invites program and Hotel Elite Status.
How to apply for the American Express Platinum Card
Apply for the American Express Platinum Card online in around 10 minutes and get a response within 60 seconds. To ensure the application process goes smoothly and to increase your chances of approval, make sure you meet the eligibility requirements and have the necessary documents ready before you apply:
- You are over 18 years of age
- You are a permanent Australian resident or citizen
- Your earn at least $100,000 as pre-tax income
- No history of bad debt or payment default
- Your complete name, date of birth, marital status, and number of dependents
- Your Australian driver’s license number (if you have one)
- Your residential address, email address, and phone number
- Your employer’s name, address, and phone number
- Details surrounding your income, assets, expenses, and liabilities
The American Express Platinum is one of the most prestigious cards from Amex, with a long list of complimentary extras that add value to the account and an annual fee to match. If you want to apply for this card, make sure you compare a range of options first so you can decide if it's right for your needs.Back to top