Receive up to 120,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points, a yearly $450 Platinum Travel Credit and luxury perks with the American Express Platinum charge card.
Enjoy no pre-set spending limit, Membership Rewards points for your spending and a wide range of travel benefits with this premium charge card. You'll get a $450 Platinum Travel Credit each year, global airport lounge access, complimentary worldwide purchase and travel insurance and access to the platinum concierge service.
If you apply for the American Express Platinum Card, you can earn up to 120,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points (40,000 points for each month you spend $1,500 in the first 3 months). Keep in mind that the minimum income requirement for the American Express Platinum is $100,000 and it charges an annual fee of $1,450. If you're looking for a card with plenty of perks and a lower price tag, you may want to consider the American Express Explorer card.
|Product Name||American Express Platinum Card|
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards Ascent Premium|
|Offer end date||30 August 2018|
|Annual fee||$1,450 p.a.|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available To Temporary Residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
|Annual fee||$1,450 p.a.|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You'll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|Gambling Transactions Allowed||No|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Number of Additional Cardholders||4|
- 40,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points each month for 3 months (up to 120,000 points) when you apply by 30 August 2018, are approved and spend $1,500 each month on your new card.
- A $450 Platinum travel credit each year.
- Complimentary membership to the Ascent Premium rewards program.
- Airport lounge access with American Express Global Lounges.
- The annual fee of $1,450 is relatively high.
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards Ascent Premium|
|Bonus Points||120,000 bonus points|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (AMEX)||1|
|Rewards Points per $ (AMEX) Cap||Uncapped|
Benefits of the American Express Platinum Card
- Up to 120,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points. If you apply by 30 August 2018, are approved and spend $4,500 within 3 months from card approval, you'll collect 120,000 bonus points (40,000 bonus points each month you spend $1,500 or more for the first 3 months). Cardholders who currently hold or have held an American Express card in the preceding 18-month period are ineligible for this bonus points offer.
- $450 Platinum Travel Credit. Each year, you'll receive a $450 Platinum Travel Credit which you can use for eligible flights, unique experiences, car hire or hotel bookings made through American Express Travel online or via the Platinum Travel Service. You can redeem this travel credit for anyone and no booking fees apply.
- Reward points as you spend. Get access to the highest tier of American Express Membership Rewards, Ascent Premium, and earn 3 points for every $1 spent at restaurants in Australia, 2 points per $1 on airlines, accommodation and foreign currency spending, and 1 point per $1 spent on most other everyday purchases. You'll even collect 0.5 reward points per $1 spent towards utility bills, telecommunications providers, and government bodies. After you've earned 300,000 in one year, the earn rate drops to 1 point or 0.5 points per $1 spent.
- Reward point redemption. Membership Rewards points can be transferred to 10 airline partner programs, including 1 to 1 with Qantas and Velocity. If airline miles aren’t for you, points can also be redeemed purchases online at davidjones.com.au, for gift cards, hotel stays, experiences and more.
- Airline lounge access. Enjoy the American Express Global Lounge Collection that gives you, one additional cardholder and a guest each access to over 1,200 VIP lounges worldwide. You receive complimentary access to luxurious Virgin Australia domestic lounges when you fly with Virgin Australia, as well as access to Priority Pass lounges, Delta Sky Club Lounges and American Express lounges for you and a guest when travelling on eligible flights and present your Amex Platinum card and travel documents.
- Premium hotel perks. Receive a complimentary Accor Plus membership valued at $395 per year, Accor Plus lets you stay, dine and experience in over 800 hotels in 18 countries across the Asia Pacific Region. Plus, access to the Fine Hotels & Resorts program offering more than $700 worth of benefits at over 1,000 5-star properties when you book with Fine Hotels & Resorts.
- Platinum International Airline Program. Depending on the airline and destination, you can save up to 20% on standard fares found outside of the Platinum Travel Service and receive competitive deals through the Platinum International Airline Program.
- Complimentary insurances. Use this card to pay for your travel and receive complimentary insurance covers that offer protection to you, your spouse, dependent children up to the age of 24 and up to four additional Platinum cardholders. This includes transport accident cover, travel inconvenience cover, travel cancellation cover, medical emergency expenses cover, hijack cover, and resumption of journey cover. Purchases you make using this card are also covered by purchase protection cover, refund protection cover, and buyer’s advantage cover.
- Platinum concierge service. You can turn to this complimentary global round-the-clock service for assistance in matters like locating restaurants, booking tickets, finding a suitable gift, or even making arrangements for a business meeting.
- Smartphone Screen Insurance. When you pay for your smartphone or monthly contract with your platinum card, you will receive insurance for up to $500 for screen repairs in case of breakage.
- Mobile contactless payments. Whether you have an Android, Apple or Samsung device, you can save time at the cash register and pay with the convenience of your smartphone with Google Pay, Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.
Features of the American Express Platinum Card
- Annual fee. This card attracts an ongoing annual fee of $1,450.
- No pre-set spending. As a charge card, the American Express Platinum Card has no pre-set spending limit.
- Security. All of your online transactions will be protected by online fraud protection, letting you shop online with peace of mind. If you an item you've purchased with the card is lost or damaged, you can make use of purchase cover protection. With buyer's advantage, you can also look forward to extended warranty on eligible products and refund protection.
- Additional cardholders. You can request up to 4 supplementary cards linked to your account each covered with a complimentary travel insurance.
How to apply for the American Express Platinum Card
Apply for the American Express Platinum Card online in around 10 minutes and get a response within 60 seconds. To ensure the application process goes smoothly and to increase your chances of approval, make sure you meet the eligibility requirements and have the necessary documents ready before you apply:
- You are over 18 years of age
- You are a permanent Australian resident or citizen
- Your earn at least $100,000 as pre-tax income
- No history of bad debt or payment default
- Your complete name, date of birth, marital status, and number of dependents
- Your Australian driver’s license number (if you have one)
- Your residential address, email address, and phone number
- Your employer’s name, address, and phone number
- Details surrounding your income, assets, expenses, and liabilities
The American Express Platinum is one of the most prestigious cards from Amex, with a long list of complimentary extras that add value to the account and an annual fee to match. If you want to apply for this card, make sure you compare a range of options first so you can decide if it's right for your needs.Back to top