American Express Platinum Card
Receive up to 200,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points, a yearly $450 Platinum Travel Credit and luxury perks with the Amex Platinum charge card.
Enjoy no pre-set spending limit, Membership Rewards Points and world-class service with this premium charge card. You'll also get airport lounge access, Hotel Elite Status and complimentary insurance.
When you apply for the American Express Platinum Card as a new cardholder by 27 January 2021, are approved and spend $3,000 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months from card approval, you will earn 150,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points. Plus, get 50,000 extra points upon the second year renewal. This card also offers a $450 Platinum Travel Credit each year to spend with American Express Travel. But the points and luxury perks of this card come with a price tag of a $1,450 annual fee.
Per $ spent
Interest free period
|Product Name||American Express Platinum Card|
|Rewards program||Membership Rewards Ascent Premium|
|Interest-free period||44 days|
|Card type||American Express|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Available to temporary residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
- 150,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points when you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months. Plus, 50,000 points upon second year renewal
- $450 Platinum Travel Credit each year
- Complimentary membership to the Ascent Premium rewards program
- Airport lounge access with American Express Global Lounges
- A high annual fee of $1,450
- Charges a 3% foreign currency conversion fee
|Rewards program||Membership Rewards Ascent Premium|
|Rewards points per $ spent||2.25|
|Rewards points cap||Uncapped|
|Late payment fee||$30|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||4|
Sally McMullen is a creative content producer at Finder. Sally has written about credit cards for almost 5 years, authoring almost 900 articles on Finder alone. She has also been published in Yahoo Finance, Dynamic Business, Financy and Mamamia, as well as Music Feeds and Rolling Stone. Sally has a Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies majoring in Journalism (Hons) from the University of Wollongong.
With the ability to transfer points to 10 partnered airline programs, it’s also a good option for points chasers who belong to multiple schemes or a frequent flyer program that isn’t directly linked with a credit card in Australia. While perks such as complimentary travel insurance, a concierge service and airline lounge passes are typical for a platinum product, the $450 travel credit helps set this card apart.
As a charge card, there is no pre-set spending limits or purchase interest rates. Keep in mind that the minimum income requirement is $100,000 p.a. and it charges a hefty annual fee. If you're looking for a card with plenty of perks and a lower price tag, you may want to consider the American Express Explorer card.
How to apply
If you've compared your options and decided to go with the Amex Platinum card, you can complete the application online in 10 minutes and receive a confirmation within 60 seconds. Before you start the application, make sure you meet the eligibility requirements and have the necessary documents and information ready to go.
- Annual income. You must earn at least $100,000 as pre-tax income per year.
- Age. You are over 18 years of age.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold a current long term visa (12 months or more). Student visas are not eligible.
- Good credit history. No history of bad debt or payment default. If you don't know your credit score or what's on your file, you can get a free copy of your credit report through Finder.
- Personal information. Your complete name, date of birth, marital status, and number of dependents.
- Proof of identity. Your Australian driver's license number (if you have one).
- Contact information. Your residential address, email address, and phone number.
- Employment details. Your employer's name, address, and phone number.
- Income and assets. Details surrounding your income, assets, expenses, and liabilities.
- Up to 200,000 bonus points. When you apply online, are approved and spend an eligible $3,000 within the first 3 months of card membership, you will collect 150,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points. When you keep your card for over 12 months (and pay the second year's annual fee), you'll get an additional 50,000 bonus points. This offer is only available to new card members. Cardholders who currently hold or have held an American Express card in the preceding 18-month period are ineligible for this bonus points offer. Your bonus points will be awarded to your account within 8 to 10 weeks of meeting the spend criteria.
- $450 Platinum Travel Credit. Each year, you'll receive a $450 Platinum Travel Credit which you can use for eligible flights, unique experiences, car hire or hotel bookings made through American Express Travel online or via the Platinum Travel Service. You can redeem this travel credit for anyone and no booking fees apply.
- Airline lounge access. Thanks to the American Express Global Lounge Collection, you, one additional cardholder and a guest can access to over 1,200 VIP lounges worldwide. This includes Priority Pass lounges, Delta Sky Club Lounges and American Express lounges for you and a guest when travelling on eligible flights and present your Amex Platinum card and travel documents.
- Earn rewards as you spend. Get access to the highest tier of American Express Membership Rewards with Ascent Premium. Earn 2.25 Membership Rewards Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases and 1 point per $1 spent with government bodies.
- Membership Rewards redemption. Membership Rewards Points can be transferred to partner loyalty programs, including Qantas Frequent Flyer, Velocity Frequent Flyer and Hilton Honors. Points can also be redeemed purchases online at davidjones.com.au, for gift cards, experiences and more.
- Premium hotel perks. Receive a complimentary Accor Plus membership valued at $399 per year. With Accor Plus, you can stay, dine and experience in over 800 hotels in 18 countries across the Asia Pacific Region. Plus, access to the Fine Hotels & Resorts program offering more than $700 worth of benefits at over 1,000 5-star properties when you book with Fine Hotels & Resorts.
- Platinum International Airline Program. Depending on the airline and destination, you can save up to 20% on standard Business and First Class fares found outside of the Platinum Travel Service and receive competitive deals through the Platinum International Airline Program.
- Complimentary insurances. Use this card to pay for your travel and receive complimentary insurance covers that offer protection for you, your spouse, dependent children up to the age of 24 and up to 4 additional Platinum cardholders. This includes medical emergency expenses cover, transport accident cover, travel inconvenience cover and travel cancellation cover. Purchases you make using this card are also covered by purchase protection cover, refund protection cover, and buyer's advantage cover.
- Platinum concierge service. You can turn to this complimentary global round-the-clock service for assistance in matters like restaurant reservations, booking tickets, finding a suitable gift, or making arrangements for a business meeting.
- Smartphone Screen Insurance. When you pay for your smartphone or monthly contract with your platinum card, you will receive insurance for up to $500 for screen repairs in case of breakage.
- Mobile contactless payments. Whether you have an Android, Apple or Samsung device, you can save time at the cash register and pay with the convenience of your smartphone with Google Pay, Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. This card charges an ongoing annual fee of $1,450.
- No pre-set spending. As a charge card, the American Express Platinum Card has no pre-set spending limit and no interest rate.
- Cash flow days. You'll get up to 44 cash flow days to pay off your purchases. These depend on when you make a purchase, how you pay your bill, when the statement is issued and if you were carrying a balance or not. When you choose to pay by direct debit, your payment will be processed 10 days after the statement issue date.
- Foreign currency conversion fee. If you use this card to make a purchase in a foreign currency overseas or online, you'll be charged 3% of the transaction value.
- Security. All of your online transactions will be protected by online fraud protection, letting you shop online with peace of mind. If an item you've purchased with the card is lost or damaged, you can make use of purchase cover protection. With buyer's advantage, you can also look forward to extended warranty on eligible products and refund protection.
- Additional cardholders. You can request up to 4 additional cards linked to your account each covered with complimentary travel insurance.