American Express Platinum Card
The Amex Platinum offers up to 200,000 bonus points, a yearly $450 Platinum Travel Credit, lounge passes and other perks – with a $1,450 annual fee.
This charge card is suited to big spenders and earners, with Membership Rewards Points, world-class service and no pre-set spending limit. It comes with a range of perks, including airport lounge access, complimentary Accor Plus membership (usually $399 per year), and insurance covers.
With this bonus points offer, you'll earn 150,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points when you apply for the American Express Platinum Card online, are approved and spend $3,000 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months from card approval. You'll also earn another 50,000 bonus points when you keep the card open for more than 2 years. The American Express Platinum also offers a $450 Platinum Travel Credit each year to spend with American Express Travel. But the points and luxury perks of this card come with a price tag of a $1,450 annual fee.
Per $ spent
Interest free period
|Product Name||American Express Platinum Card|
|Rewards program||Membership Rewards Ascent Premium|
|Purchase rate||0% p.a.|
|Interest-free period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Card type||American Express|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Available to temporary residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
- Up to 200,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points
- $450 Platinum Travel Credit each year
- Complimentary membership to the Ascent Premium rewards program
- Airport lounge access with American Express Global Lounge Collection
- A high annual fee of $1,450
- Charges a 3% foreign currency conversion fee
|Rewards program||Membership Rewards Ascent Premium|
|Rewards points per $ spent||2.25|
|Rewards points cap||Uncapped|
|Late payment fee||$30|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||4|
Amy Bradney-George has been writing about personal finance for more than 13 years – including over 600 articles as a senior writer for Finder. Her work has also appeared in publications including Money Magazine, The Sydney Morning Herald, Financy, ABC News Australia and Equity Magazine. Amy has a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Drama from Griffith University.
With the ability to transfer points to 10 partnered airline programs – including Qantas and Velocity – it’s also a good option for points chasers who belong to multiple schemes or a frequent flyer program that isn’t directly linked with a credit card in Australia. While perks such as complimentary travel insurance, a concierge service and airline lounge passes are typical for a platinum product, the $450 travel credit helps set this card apart – and can be used on domestic or international trips.
How to apply
If you've compared your options and decided to go with the Amex Platinum card, you can complete the application online in 10 minutes and receive a confirmation within 60 seconds. Before you start the application, make sure you meet the eligibility requirements and have the necessary documents and information ready to go.
- Annual income. You must earn at least $100,000 as pre-tax income per year.
- New card member. The bonus points offer is only available to new card members. Cardholders who currently hold or have held an American Express card in the past 18 months are ineligible for this bonus points offer.
- Age. You are at least 18 years of age.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold a current long term visa (12 months or more). Student visas are not eligible.
- Good credit history. No history of bad debt or payment default. If you don't know your credit score or what's on your file, you can get a free copy of your credit report through Finder.
- Personal information. Your complete name, date of birth, marital status, and number of dependents.
- Proof of identity. Your Australian driver's license number (if you have one).
- Contact information. Your residential address, email address, and phone number.
- Employment details. Your employer's name, address, and phone number.
- Income and assets. Details surrounding your income, assets, expenses, and liabilities.
- Up to 200,000 bonus points. Apply online, get approved and spend $3,000 on eligible purchases in the first 3 months of card membership and you'll get 150,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points. You'll earn another 50,000 bonus points after you pay the annual fee for the second year, making your bonus points a total of 200,000. Your bonus points will be awarded to your account within 8 to 10 weeks of meeting the spend criteria.
- $450 Platinum Travel Credit. Each year, you'll receive a $450 Platinum Travel Credit which you can use for eligible flights, unique experiences, car hire or hotel bookings made through American Express Travel online or via the Platinum Travel Service (including for Fine Hotels and Resorts or The Hotel Collection bookings). You can redeem this travel credit for anyone and no booking fees apply.
- Shop Small points offer. Earn extra 3 Membership Rewards Points per $1 spent and support small businesses. Just save the American Express Shop Small offer to your card and spend with participating businesses by 31 March 2022. The offer is valid both in store and online and you can earn a maximum total of 40,000 extra points. Check out Finder's news story on Shop Small for a breakdown of how it works.
- Airline lounge access. Thanks to the American Express Global Lounge Collection, you, one additional cardholder and a guest can access to over 1,200 VIP lounges worldwide. This includes Priority Pass lounges, Delta Sky Club Lounges and American Express lounges for you and a guest when travelling on eligible flights and present your Amex Platinum card and travel documents.
- Earn rewards as you spend. Get access to the highest tier of American Express Membership Rewards with Ascent Premium. Earn 2.25 Membership Rewards Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases and 1 point per $1 spent with government bodies.
- Membership Rewards redemption. Membership Rewards Points can be transferred to partner loyalty programs, including Qantas Frequent Flyer, Velocity Frequent Flyer and Hilton Honors. You can also redeem them for shopping online at davidjones.com.au, a mix of gift cards on the Membership Rewards website and even travel bookings. This includes Pay with Points options for Fine Hotels and Resorts and the Hotel Collection bookings made through the Amex Travel website.
- Premium hotel perks. Receive a complimentary Accor Plus membership valued at $399 per year. With Accor Plus, you can stay, dine and experience in over 800 hotels in 18 countries across the Asia Pacific Region. Plus, access to the Fine Hotels + Resorts program offering more than $700 worth of benefits at over 1,000 5-star properties.
- Platinum International Airline Program. Depending on the airline and destination, you can save up to 20% on standard Business and First Class fares found outside of the Platinum Travel Service and receive competitive deals through the Platinum International Airline Program.
- Complimentary insurances. Use this card to pay for your travel and receive complimentary insurance covers that offer protection for you, your spouse, dependent children up to the age of 24 and up to 4 additional Platinum cardholders. This includes medical emergency expenses cover, transport accident cover, travel inconvenience cover and travel cancellation cover. Purchases you make using this card are also covered by purchase protection cover, refund protection cover, and buyer's advantage cover.
- Platinum concierge service. You can turn to this complimentary global round-the-clock service for assistance in matters like restaurant reservations, booking tickets, finding a suitable gift, or making arrangements for a business meeting.
- The Australian Premium subscription. Get full digital access to The Australian Premium on all your devices. Plus digital access to The Wall Street Journal and exclusive member-only features including a weekly newsletter of curated content and two virtual events every year featuring some of The Australian's most experienced business and political journalists. This benefit is available to primary and additional Amex Platinum card members.
- Smartphone Screen Insurance. When you pay for your smartphone or monthly contract with your platinum card, you will receive insurance for up to $500 for screen repairs in case of breakage.
- Complimentary fashion credit with NET-A-PORTER and MR PORTER. Spend across NET-A-PORTER and MR PORTER to get a credit of up to $75, twice per year. That works out to a maximum of $150 credit back when you shop with these brands. To get credit back, you'll need to save the offer to your card via your Amex account or the app, then shop online with either brand. Note that NET-A-PORTER and MR PORTER are based in the UK and charges will be converted from British pounds to Australian dollars. The credit back will be based on your spend in Australian dollars and a foreign currency conversion fee will also apply for each transaction.
- Mobile contactless payments. Whether you have an Android, Apple or Samsung device, you can save time at the cash register and pay with the convenience of your smartphone with Google Pay, Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. This card charges an ongoing annual fee of $1,450.
- No pre-set spending. As a charge card, the American Express Platinum Card has no pre-set spending limit and no interest rate.
- Cash flow days. You'll get up to 44 cash flow days to pay off your purchases. These depend on when you make a purchase, how you pay your bill, when the statement is issued and if you were carrying a balance or not. When you choose to pay by direct debit, your payment will be processed 10 days after the statement issue date.
- Foreign currency conversion fee. If you use this card to make a purchase in a foreign currency overseas or online, you'll be charged 3% of the transaction value.
- Security. All of your online transactions will be protected by online fraud protection, letting you shop online with peace of mind. If an item you've purchased with the card is lost or damaged, you can make use of purchase cover protection. With buyer's advantage, you can also look forward to extended warranty on eligible products and refund protection.
- Additional cardholders. You can request up to 4 additional cards linked to your account each covered with complimentary travel insurance.