Discover how you can get 10,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points and maximise your frequent flyer balance with the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card.
Earning frequent flyer points isn’t limited to the skies. If you have an American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card, you can take advantage of 10,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points as well as points on purchases to build up your rewards as you spend. These points can then be transferred to a number of partnered frequent flyer programs and redeemed for a variety of rewards. Packed with a number of other travel features, this card could be your ideal holiday companion and points earner.
Use this guide to discover how you can use your American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card to get the most out of your rewards points.
American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card details
|Card||American Express Platinum Edge|
|Loyalty program||American Express Membership Rewards, which can be transferred to up to 9 frequent flyer programs|
|Earn at the ATO and utilities||0.5 points per $1|
|Travel benefits||Free Virgin Australia domestic return flight per year|
|Complimentary insurance||Travel and purchase protection insurances|
How do I earn Membership Rewards points with my card?
You can pick up Membership Rewards points on everyday purchases with the American Express Platinum Edge Card. These points aren’t capped, so your ability to earn points won’t be restricted. Here are some of the ways you can earn points with the breakdown below.
You can earn 3 Membership Rewards points for every dollar spent at major supermarkets. So if you're regularly shopping at Coles, Woolworths, Bi-Lo, Safeway, IGA, Fishers, Fresh Provisions, Food for Less, Supabarn or Macro Wholefood you can maximise your earn rate through your weekly grocery shopping.
|Major supermarket||Points per $1 spent|
|Food for Less||3|
|Harris Farm Markets||3|
When filling up your tank at major petrol stations, you can earn 2 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent. Eligible petrol stations include BP, Shell, Caltex, Woolworths, 7 Eleven, Safeway Petrol and Peak & Gull.
|Fuel provider||Points per $1 spent|
|Peak & Gull||2|
You’ll earn 1 Membership Rewards point per dollar spent on all other eligible purchases, except for insurance, utilities, telecommunications providers and government bodies in Australia, where you earn 0.5 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent.
|Everyday purchases||Points per $1 spent|
|All other eligible purchases||1|
Other ways to earn bonus points
Want to boost your points? Here are some extra ways to do so.
- Bonus points. New American Express Platinum Edge cardholders can earn 10,000 bonus points when they spend $750 on eligible purchases within the first two months of opening the card.
- Referral bonus points. If you refer a friend who signs up for an American Express credit card, you can earn up to 200,000 bonus Membership Rewards points per year. For example, if you refer a friend who is then approved for the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card, you’ll be rewarded with 10,000 points and your friend will receive 15,000 points.
- Additional cardholders. You can get an additional card for a family member, friend or coworker and accumulate points every time they make a purchase. This is particularly useful for families and businesses, as you can then share the points for family holidays or business trips to increase the value you get from the points.
Transferring Amex points to a frequent flyer program
As an American Express Platinum Edge cardholder, you’ll receive complimentary enrolment in the Membership Rewards Ascent Program. If you’d like to turn your points into flight rewards, you can transfer them to your choice of frequent flyer program via the American Express website. You can transfer to the following:
- Virgin Airways Velocity Frequent Flyer
- Air New Zealand
- Etihad Guest
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- Emirates Skywards
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich program
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus
- Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club
Your Membership Rewards points will be subject to different exchange rates depending on who you’re transferring to, and some are better value than others. You must meet a minimum transfer amount if you’d like to transfer to the following programs, which is important to remember when you’re saving up your points.
How much are your points worth?
|Program||Exchange rate||Minimum transfer amount|
|Air New Zealand||100 Membership Rewards = 1 Airpoints Dollar||2,000 Membership Rewards|
|Asia Miles||1 Membership Reward = 1 Asia Mile||5,000 Membership Rewards|
|Etihad Guest||1 Membership Reward = 1 Etihad Guest Mile||1,000 Membership Rewards|
|Malaysia Enrich||1 Membership Reward = 1 Enrich Mile||500 Membership Rewards|
|Singapore Airlines Krisflyer||1 Membership Reward = 1 KrisFlyer Mile||5,000 Membership Rewards|
|Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus||1 Membership Reward = 1 Royal Orchid Plus Mile||5,000 Membership Rewards|
|Emirates Skywards||4 Membership Rewards = 3 Skywards Miles||2,000 Membership Rewards|
|Velocity Frequent Flyer||1 Membership Rewards = 1 Velocity Point||2,000 Membership Rewards|
|Virgin Atlantic Flying Club||1 Membership Rewards = 1 Flying Club Mile||2,000 Membership Rewards|
Other ways to redeem your Membership Rewards
Compare the different ways you can redeem your points to make sure you’re getting the most value out of your Membership Rewards.
- Flights. One of the most valuable ways to use your Membership Rewards is for flights. Rather than being restricted to one program, the Membership Rewards program provides you with greater flexibility when it comes to using your points for flight rewards. Remember to take note of the exchange rates and minimum transfer amount required before transferring your points, as they can’t be returned once they’ve been moved across.
- Webjet. You can also use your points to book flights and other holiday packages through Webjet. You’ll need 10,000 Membership Rewards points to redeem $100 worth of travel. If you don’t have enough points to complete a transaction, you can use cash to make up the difference.
- Gift cards. Enjoy greater spending freedom and redeem gift cards from 3,500 points. You can choose retail gift cards from popular retailers such as Coles Group & Myer, David Jones, Harvey Norman and Westfield, entertainment gift cards with Hoyts and Event Cinemas, eGift Cards from Airbnb and Apple iTunes, and travel gift cards with helloworld.
- Credit on your account. You can use the American Express "Pay with Points" feature to reduce your card balance by repaying purchases with your points using the AMEX mobile app or website. You’ll receive the credit on your account within 72 hours.
- Entertainment rewards. Transform your points into experiences by using them to redeem rewards with Ticketmaster. Simply book your next concert or sports event via Ticketmaster and select "Membership Rewards" as your payment option.
Other American Express Platinum Edge travel perks
The American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card offers a number of other features that are designed for frequent flyers and travellers.
- Complimentary Virgin Australia flight. You’ll receive a complimentary domestic return flight with Virgin Australia every year. These flights are usually good value and will offset the cost of the annual fee. If you don’t think you’ll get around to using them, you can book it in a friend or family member’s name to ensure it doesn’t go to waste. Where you can fly will depend on where you're flying out from. See where your complimentary flight can take you from your local airport below.
|Departure location||Eligible destination|
|Sydney||Hervey Bay, Maroochydore, Brisbane, Coolangatta, Ballina Byron, Coffs Harbour, Canberra, Albury, Adelaide, Melbourne, Launceston|
|Brisbane||Proserpine, Hamilton Island, Mackay, Rockhampton, Newcastle, Sydney, Canberra, Adelaide, Melbourne|
|Adelaide||Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne|
|Melbourne||Sydney, Newcastle, Brisbane, Canberra, Mildura, Adelaide, Launceston, Hobart|
|Perth||Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Broome, Port Hedland, Karratha, Newman|
|Canberra||Brisbane, Coolangatta, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide|
- Complimentary travel insurance. If you use your card to pay for at least $500 of your travel costs, you’ll activate complimentary travel insurance including:
|Insurance type||Included cover|
|Overseas Medical Emergency Expenses Cover||Up to $2,500,000|
|Baggage, Money and Documentation Cover||Up to $10,000|
|Travel Inconvenience Cover||Cover for flight delays, missed connections or luggage delays|
|Personal Liability Cover||Up to $1,000,000|
|Travel Cancellation Cover||Up to $10,000|
- Global Card Support. If you’re travelling and having troubles with your card, you can contact the Global Card Support customer service team at any time of day to have the issue resolved.
Mistakes to avoid
The American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card offers several great ways to earn rewards, but there are some common mistakes that you should try to avoid.
- Spending for the sake of points. You might want to boost your points balance, but remember that you’ll have to repay everything you’ve purchased (plus interest).
- Redeeming the wrong rewards. How you use your points is ultimately up to you, but you’ll find that some rewards offer better value than others. For example, while you could redeem a one-way economy flight from Sydney to Singapore for at least 28,900 Velocity Points (typically worth between $490.87 and $600), you’d need 24,975 Membership Rewards to redeem a Bottega Veneta perfume worth $185 from David Jones. Given the price difference, you might be better off just buying the perfume with cash and saving your points for bigger rewards.
- Missing bonus points. There are many ways you can earn bonus points with an American Express card. Try to work your spending habits around these bonuses, such as shopping with partnered supermarkets or filling up at associated petrol stations, to maximise your points wherever you can.
Racking up points and redeeming rewards is easy with the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card. Understand the different ways you can earn points, boost your balance and redeem rewards to get the most out of your rewards program. However, make sure you’re spending within your budget, and not just for the sake of earning points. As always, compare your options before applying for a card or rewards program to ensure you choose the right one for you.
|Product Name||American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card|
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards|
|Balance transfer rate (p.a.)||0% p.a. for 12 months with 1% balance transfer fee|
|Balance Transfer Revert Rate|
The interest rate after the balance transfer ends.
|Purchase Rate (20.74% p.a.)|
|Balance Transfer Limit||70% of available credit limit|
|Maximum Balance Transfer Amount||$10,000|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||20.74% p.a.|
|Annual fee||$195 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit|
This is the lowest credit card limit that you can request. It is possible to apply for a higher credit card limit but not a lower one than this figure.
|Max credit limit|
This credit limit may not be issued to you immediately on application. This is the maximum credit limit for this card which must be applied for or offered to you after you are approved and have already opened the account.
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2.5% or $30|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance Cover||6 months|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|