American Express Explorer Credit Card
With 50,000 bonus points, a $400 Travel Credit and two complimentary airline lounge passes, the Explorer is packed with perks.
Get 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points when you apply online and spend $3,000 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months of card approval.
As a premium rewards card with an annual fee of $395, the Explorer is suited to people who want to reward their spending and will make use of the wide range of travel perks.
You'll collect Membership Rewards Gateway points per $1 spent on most purchases, travel in style with airport lounge passes and enjoy Hotel Collections perks.
Per $ spent
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
|Product Name||American Express Explorer Credit Card|
|Rewards program||Membership Rewards|
|Purchase rate||20.74% p.a.|
|Interest-free period||55 days|
|Min credit limit||$3,000|
|Card type||American Express|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Available to temporary residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
- 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points when you spend $3,000 on your card within the first 3 months from approval
- $400 Travel Credit every year
- 2 complimentary airport lounge passes per year
- Standard purchase rate of 20.74% p.a. is relatively high
- $395 annual fee is high if you cannot make full use of the travel benefits
|Rewards program||Membership Rewards|
|Rewards points per $ spent||2|
|Rewards points cap||Uncapped|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2.5% of the closing balance or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$30|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||4|
Sally McMullen is a creative content producer at Finder, co-hosts our Pocket Money podcast and wrote about credit cards for almost five years. Her byline can be spotted on Yahoo Finance, Dynamic Business, Financy and Mamamia as well as Music Feeds and Rolling Stone. She has a Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies majoring in Journalism (Hons) from the University of Wollongong.
You can get extra value with annual complimentary airport lounge passes and travel insurance cover, although these are common features with many frequent flyer cards.
The Amex Explorer offers uncapped points potential and has one of the highest earn rates with cardholders earning up to 2 points per $1 spent. You can exchange your Membership Rewards for points with nine partnered frequent flyer programs. This includes Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest and Air New Zealand Airpoints.
How to apply
You can apply for the American Express Explorer credit card online in 10 minutes and receive a response within 60 seconds. Check if you meet the eligibility criteria and that you have the necessary information to complete the application before you get started:
- Minimum income. You must have a personal gross (pre-tax) annual income of $65,000 or more.
- Credit history. You must have a good credit score, with no history of bad debt or payment default. If you don't know your credit score or what's on your file, you can get a free copy of your credit report through Finder.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold a current long term visa (12 months or more). Student visas are not eligible.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Personal details. You'll need to provide personal details such as your full name, date of birth, contact information and address.
- Identification. You might need to provide proof of identity such as your driver's licence or birth certificate.
- Income. You'll be asked to confirm your annual income and provide proof with recent payslips and bank statements.
- Employment. This includes your current place of employment and your employer's contact information.
- $400 Travel Credit. Each year you have the card, you'll get a $400 Travel Credit you can use on a single booking made through American Express Travel. This Travel Credit is available once you have paid the $395 annual fee for that year and have met the minimum repayment requirements on your last statement.
- Bonus points. When you apply online, are approved and spend an eligible $3,000 within the first 3 months of card membership, you will earn a bonus 50,000 Membership Rewards Points. This offer is available to new card members, as well as bank-issued American Express companion cardholders. Your bonus points will be awarded to your account within 8 to 10 weeks of meeting the spend criteria.
- Complimentary airport lounge passes. This card offers two complimentary passes to American Express Lounge at Sydney International (Kingsford Smith) Airport (T1) or Melbourne International Airport (T2) each year. To use the passes, just present your card at the reception desk, then relax before your flight with free wi-fi, food and drink, barista-made coffee and comfortable seats.
- Membership Rewards Points. Earn 2 points per $1 spent on eligible purchases and 1 point / $1 spent with government bodies. You can exchange your Membership Rewards for points with nine partnered frequent flyer programs. This includes Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer and Emirates Skywards. You can also transfer points to the Hilton Honors hotel loyalty program.
- Complimentary travel insurances. Pay for your return overseas travel with this card and you can save on insurance costs with complimentary Medical Emergency Expenses Cover, Travel Cancellation Cover, Baggage, Money and Documentation Cover and Travel Inconvenience Insurance Cover. Cover is also effective when you pay for the full return fare using Membership Rewards points or the $400 Travel Credit.
- Hotels Collection. You are entitled to a hotel credit of up to USD$100 and a complimentary room upgrade, where available, when you book at least 2 consecutive nights at selected hotels using your American Express Explorer credit card.
- Smartphone screen insurance. You'll receive up to $500 for screen repairs if you accidentally break your smartphone screen. A 10% excess applies per claim with a maximum of 2 claims every 12 months.
- Mobile contactless payments. Whether you have an Android, Apple or Samsung device, you can tap and pay with the convenience of your smartphone when you link your account to Google Pay, Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.
- Purchase protection insurance. You can shop with peace of mind with purchase protection, refund protection, an online fraud protection guarantee and a buyer's advantage policy that can extend the manufacturer's warranty by up to 12 months on eligible items purchased with this card.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. The American Express Explorer's annual fee of $395 p.a. is completely offset by the $400 Travel Credit when you redeem it.
- Interest rate. Purchases attract an interest rate of 20.74% p.a.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your balance in full by the statement due date, you'll get up to 55 interest-free days on purchases during each statement period which can help you reduce your interest costs.
- Foreign transaction fee. If you use this card to make a foreign transaction overseas or when shopping online, you'll be charged 3% of the transaction value.
- Additional cardholder. You can earn points faster when you request up to 4 additional cards for $0. Please note that the additional card member must be at least 18 years of age and you'll be liable for all spending and charges added to the account.