With 100,000 bonus points, a $400 Travel Credit and two complimentary airline lounge passes, the platinum features of the American Express Explorer Credit Card outweigh the cost.
The American Express Explorer Credit Card is catered to premium cardholders, frequent flyers and big spenders who want to be rewarded for using their credit card. Whether you’re looking at the 100,000 bonus Membership Rewards points on signup, the $400 Travel Credit or complimentary insurances, there are plenty of ways to get extra value from the card to justify the $395 annual fee.
|Product Name||American Express Explorer Credit Card|
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards Gateway|
|Balance transfer rate (p.a.)||0% p.a. for 12 months with 1% balance transfer fee|
|Balance Transfer Revert Rate|
The interest rate after the balance transfer ends.
|Purchase Rate (20.74% p.a.)|
|Balance Transfer Limit||70% of available credit limit|
|Maximum Balance Transfer Amount||$10,000|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||20.74% p.a.|
|Offer end date||9 April 2018|
|Annual fee||$395 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit|
This is the lowest credit card limit that you can request. It is possible to apply for a higher credit card limit but not a lower one than this figure.
|Max credit limit|
This credit limit may not be issued to you immediately on application. This is the maximum credit limit for this card which must be applied for or offered to you after you are approved and have already opened the account.
|Card Type||American Express|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available To Temporary Residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
|Credit Rating Requirement||Good|
|Annual fee||$395 p.a.|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2.5% or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Cash Advance Fee||$2.50 or 2% of the cash advance amount (whichever is greater)|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You'll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Number of Additional Cardholders||4|
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online by 9 April 2018, are approved and spend $3,000 on your card within the first 3 months of card membership.
- Enjoy 0% p.a. for 12 months on balance transfers.
- Receive a $400 Travel Credit every year.
- Get up to 55 days interest-free on purchases.
- After the introductory balance transfer period, any unpaid balances will revert to the standard interest rate on purchases.
- A one-time 1% balance transfer fee applies.
- The standard purchase rate of 20.74% p.a. is relatively high.
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards Gateway|
|Bonus Points||100,000 bonus points|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (AMEX)||2|
|Rewards Points per $ (AMEX) Cap||Uncapped|
American Express Explorer Credit Card review
If you apply online by 9 April 2018, are approved and spend at least $3,000 in the first three months, you can bolster your points balance with 100,000 Membership Rewards points on signup.
For the life of the card, you’ll also earn 2 points per dollar spent on eligible purchases. Plus, new cardholders will also receive a $400 Travel Credit to redeem for anything from flights to car rentals with American Express Travel. Other perks include two airline lounge passes each year, complimentary insurances and a 0% p.a. balance transfer offer for 12 months. With an annual fee of $395 and an ongoing interest rate of 20.74% p.a., you’ll want to make sure the value of the perks outweigh the costs.
Benefits of the American Express Explorer Credit Card
- Bonus points. If you apply online by 9 April 2018, are approved and spend an eligible $3,000 within the first three months of card membership, you will earn a bonus 100,000 Membership Rewards points. These points can be transferred to eight airline partner programs, including Velocity. If you prefer to transfer your points, these 100,000 Membership Rewards points are worth 37,500 Velocity Points. This offer is available to new card members, as well as bank-issued American Express companion cardholders.
- $400 Travel Credit. Cardholders will receive a $400 Travel Credit every year to redeem anything from flights and travel agency gift vouchers to accommodation, car hire and more through American Express Travel.
- Membership rewards program. Cardholders will earn 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent on eligible purchases and 0.5 points per $1 spent on government purchases. These points can be redeemed for a variety of options under Membership Rewards or for travel perks with American Express’ eight partner airline programs; Asia Miles, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest, Malaysian Airlines Enrich, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, THAI Royal Orchid Plus, Velocity Frequent Flyer and Air New Zealand Airpoints.
- Balance transfer offer. New applicants can consolidate their debts with a promotional balance transfer rate of 0% p.a. for 12 months. A one-time 1% balance transfer fee applies. You can transfer up to 70% of your approved credit limit to a maximum of $10,000.
- Complimentary airline lounge passes. Cardholders will receive two complimentary passes to American Express Lounge at Sydney International (Kingsford Smith) Airport T1 each year.
- Complimentary travel insurances. If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can save on insurance costs with Medical Emergency Expenses Cover, Travel Cancellation Cover, Baggage, Money and Documentation Cover and Travel Inconvenience Insurance.
- Smartphone screen insurance. You’ll receive up to $500 for screen repairs if you accidentally break your Smartphone screen. A 10% excess applies per claim with a maximum of two claims every 12 months.
- Mobile contactless payments. Whether you have an Android, Apple or Samsung device, you can save time at the cash register and pay with the convenience of your smartphone with Android Pay, Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.
Features of the American Express Explorer Credit Card
- Annual fee. The card comes with an annual fee of $395.
- Interest rate. All purchases will collect interest at 20.74% p.a.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your balance in full, you can enjoy up to 55 interest-free days on purchases.
- Additional cardholder. You can request a supplementary cardholder for $0, though they must be at least 18 years of age. Please note that you’ll be liable for all spending and charges on the supplementary card.
- Purchase protections. You can shop with peace of mind with Purchase Protection, Refund Protection, Online Fraud Protection Guarantee and Buyers Advantage that extends the manufacturer’s warranty by up to 12 months.
How to apply for the American Express Explorer Credit Card
If you’ve compared your options and decided you want to apply for the American Express Explorer Credit Card, click on the ‘Go to Site’ button to be taken to a secure online application.
Before you apply, make sure you meet the following eligibility requirements and have the necessary documents on hand:
- Age. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold a current Business Long Stay Visa (subclass 457).
- Minimum income. You must have a personal gross (pre-tax) annual income of $65,000 or more.
- Credit history. Applicants need no history of bad debt or payment default.
- Personal details. You’ll need to provide personal details such as your full name and address.
- Identification. You might need to provide proof of identity such as your driver’s licence or birth certificate.
- Proof of income. You’ll be asked to provide proof of income and employment (such as recent pay slips).
The American Express Explorer Credit Card is a premium card designed for cardholders who want to get more from their spending. As it’s not the only premium frequent flyer card on the market, it’s important to compare your options and make sure you meet the eligibility requirements before applying.Back to top