Receive 20,000 bonus points and access exclusive in-store benefits with the David Jones American Express Credit Card.
The David Jones American Express Card offers a number of in-store privileges like interest-free shopping, free delivery and exclusive discounts. New cardholders have the ability to earn 20,000 bonus points, and can choose to redeem accumulated points through the American Express Membership Rewards program or the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.
The David Jones American Express Platinum Card comes with some additional features and gives you the ability to earn more points at David Jones, but charges a significantly higher annual fee.
|Product Name||David Jones American Express|
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||20.74% p.a.|
|Annual fee||$99 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit|
This is the lowest credit card limit that you can request. It is possible to apply for a higher credit card limit but not a lower one than this figure.
|Card Type||American Express|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||No|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available To Temporary Residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
|Credit Rating Requirement||Good|
|Annual fee||$99 p.a.|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2.5% or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You'll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|Gambling Transactions Allowed||No|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0 for the first year, then $29 p.a.|
- 20,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you spend 3 times outside David Jones in the first month
- High points earn rates of 3 points per $1 at major supermarkets and petrol stations, 2 per $1 at David Jones and 1 per $1 spent elsewhere
- Flexible payment options, complimentary standard delivery and access to exclusive David Jones perks
- There is no balance transfer feature offered with this card.
- At the end of the interest-free period, the relatively high 20.74% p.a. interest rate applies.
- There are only 44 days interest-free on purchases for this card, as opposed to most cards with 55 days.
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards|
|Bonus Points||20,000 bonus points|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (AMEX)||1|
|Rewards Points per $ (AMEX) Cap||Uncapped|
David Jones American Express Card review
Are you a loyal David Jones customer? If so, the David Jones American Express could be the right credit card for you. This is because you stand to accumulate more rewards points when you use this card at David Jones, plus, you can look forward to an array of in-store benefits.
This card attracts a nominal annual fee of $99, and you can get an additional card for an annual fee of $0 for the first year, then $29 p.a. thereafter. Given the American Express connect, you can look forward to using this card globally; all you have to do is look for the American Express sign.
Benefits of the David Jones American Express Credit Card
David Jones American Express cardholders can look forward to the following perks:
- Rewards program options. When you get this card, you can choose between the Membership Rewards program and the Qantas Frequent Flyer Program. One dollar earns 1 Membership Rewards point or 0.75 Qantas Points.
- Bonus points. As a new cardholder, you stand to get 20,000 Membership Rewards points or 15,000 Qantas Points. All you have to do to get these points is use your new card outside David Jones three times in the first month.
- Exclusive in-store benefits. When you spend more than $500 on electrical, homewares, furniture, and bedding items, you can get up to four years interest-free without paying any deposit. When you use your card to make payments, you can take advantage of complimentary gift wrapping. The Fashion Pay Later Option gives you the option of not paying for purchases for three months. The Christmas Deferred Payment Option also gives you a good way to shop and save before Christmas. Finally, you will receive complimentary standard delivery on most purchases when you use the card to pay in store or online.
- Contactless mobile payments. You can use this card for mobile contactless tap and pay payments with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay, depending on the device you're using.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your balance in full, you can look forward to up to 44 interest-free days on purchases.
Features of the David Jones American Express Credit Card
If you’re considering applying for the David Jones American Express card, take some time to consider the features it offers:
- Earning points. You earn 3 reward points for each dollar you spend at major supermarkets and petrol stations. Some of these include Coles, Woolworths, Safeway, IGA, Shell, BP, 7 Eleven and Mobil. Every dollar you spend at David Jones earns 2 reward points. Every dollar spent on eligible purchases elsewhere earns 1 reward point.
- Redeeming points. If you opt for the Membership Rewards program you can use your points to shop online at davidjones.com or redeem gift cards from various retailers, merchandise, concert tickets, or transfer them for flight rewards with one of eight frequent flyer programs. If you opt for the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, you can redeem your points for Qantas flight tickets, flight upgrades, gift cards, and an array of merchandise.
- Fees. You have to pay an annual fee of $99 for as long as your account remains active. Additional cards attract ongoing annual fees of $0 for the first year, then $29 p.a. thereafter.
- Interest rates. This card charges a 20.74% p.a. interest rate on purchases.
- Payments. You can make payments towards your David Jones American Express card via direct debits and BPAY. You can also pay in person using cash or card at David Jones stores, Australia Post offices, and American Express foreign exchange travel offices.
How to apply for the David Jones American Express Card
You can complete an online application form in a matter of minutes. Applying for this card requires that you meet the following eligibility criteria and include the necessary documents:
- You must be over 18 years.
- Applicants must be a permanent Australian resident, or an Australian citizen, or must hold a Subclass 457 – Business Long Stay Visa.
- You'll need to have a good credit history.
- Your pre-tax gross household should be at least $40,000.
- Your name and contact details
- Employment related information
- Your annual earnings
- Your monthly expenditure
- Information about all your liabilities
If you're a loyal David Jones customer, a David Jones American Express credit card could be a worthwhile way to earn points as you spend. As this isn't the only rewards card on the market, make sure you compare your options thoroughly before applying.