Receive 20,000 bonus Membership Rewards points, or 15,000 Qantas Points and access exclusive benefits with the David Jones American Express Credit Card.
The David Jones American Express Card offers a number of benefits whether you're a loyal DJ's shopper or not, including a high points earn rate on Membership Rewards and Qantas Points, interest-free shopping, free delivery and exclusive discounts. New cardholders have the ability to earn 20,000 bonus Membership Rewards points, and can choose to redeem accumulated points through the American Express Membership Rewards program or the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.
The David Jones American Express Platinum Card comes with some additional features and gives you the ability to earn more points at David Jones, but charges a significantly higher annual fee.
|Product Name||David Jones American Express|
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||20.74% p.a.|
|Annual fee||$99 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit|
This is the lowest credit card limit that you can request. It is possible to apply for a higher credit card limit but not a lower one than this figure.
|Card Type||American Express|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||No|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available To Temporary Residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
|Annual fee||$99 p.a.|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2.5% or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You'll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|Gambling Transactions Allowed||No|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0 for the first year, then $29 p.a.|
- 20,000 bonus Membership Rewards points or 15,000 Qantas Points when you spend 3 times outside David Jones in the first month
- High points earn rates of 3 points per $1 at major supermarkets and petrol stations, 2 points per $1 at David Jones and 1 point per $1 spent elsewhere
- 1 Rewards point = 0.75 Qantas Points
- Flexible payment options, complimentary standard delivery and access to exclusive David Jones perks
- There are only 44 days interest-free on purchases for this card, as opposed to most cards with 55 days.
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards|
|Bonus Points||20,000 bonus points|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (AMEX)||1|
|Rewards Points per $ (AMEX) Cap||Uncapped|
David Jones American Express Card review
Whether you are a loyal David Jones shopper or not, the David Jones American Express could be the right credit card for you. This is thanks to a high points earn rate, the potential to rack up Qantas Frequent Flyer Points and Amex Connect benefits. If you are a David Jones enthusiast you stand to accumulate more rewards points when you use this card at David Jones, plus, you can look forward to an array of in-store benefits.
This card attracts a nominal annual fee of $99, and you can get an additional card for an annual fee of $0 for the first year, then $29 p.a. thereafter. When you pay your balance in full, you can look forward to up to 44 days interest-free on purchases.
Benefits of the David Jones American Express Credit Card
David Jones American Express cardholders can look forward to the following perks:
- Rewards program options. When you get this card, you can choose between the Membership Rewards program or the Qantas Frequent Flyer Program. One dollar earns 3 Membership Rewards points (2.25 Qantas Points) at major supermarkets and petrol stations, 2 points (1.5 Qantas Points) at David Jones and 1 point (0.75 Qantas Points) everywhere else.
- Bonus points. As a new cardholder, you stand to get 20,000 Membership Rewards points or 15,000 Qantas Points. All you have to do to get these points is use your new card outside David Jones three times in the first month.
- Exclusive in-store David Jones benefits. When you spend more than $500 on electrical, homewares, furniture, and bedding items, you can get up to four years interest-free without paying any deposit. When you use your card to make payments, you can take advantage of complimentary gift wrapping. The Fashion Pay Later Option gives you the option of not paying for purchases for three months. The Christmas Deferred Payment Option also gives you a good way to shop and save before Christmas. Finally, you will receive complimentary standard delivery on most purchases when you use the card to pay in store or online.
- Contactless mobile payments. You can use this card for mobile contactless tap and pay payments with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay, depending on the device you're using.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your balance in full, you can look forward to up to 44 interest-free days on purchases.
Features of the David Jones American Express Credit Card
If you’re considering applying for the David Jones American Express card, take some time to consider the features it offers:
- Redeeming points. If you opt for the Membership Rewards program you can use your points to shop online at davidjones.com or redeem gift cards from various retailers, merchandise, concert tickets, or transfer them for flight rewards with one of eight frequent flyer programs. If you opt for the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, you can redeem your points for Qantas flight tickets, flight upgrades, gift cards, and an array of merchandise.
- Fees. You have to pay an annual fee of $99 for as long as your account remains active. Additional cards attract ongoing annual fees of $0 for the first year, then $29 p.a. thereafter.
- Interest rates. This card charges a 20.74% p.a. interest rate on purchases.
How to apply for the David Jones American Express Card
You can complete an online application form in a matter of minutes. Applying for this card requires that you meet the following eligibility criteria and include the necessary documents:
- You must be over 18 years.
- Applicants must be a permanent Australian resident, or an Australian citizen, or must hold a Subclass 457 – Business Long Stay Visa.
- You'll need to have a good credit history.
- Your pre-tax gross household should be at least $40,000.
- Your name and contact details
- Employment related information
- Your annual earnings
- Your monthly expenditure
- Information about all your liabilities
Whether or not you're a loyal David Jones customer, a David Jones American Express credit card could be a worthwhile way to earn points as you spend. As this isn't the only rewards card on the market, make sure you compare your options thoroughly before applying.