David Jones American Express Card
Offers you 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points or 25,000 bonus Qantas Points and 0% interest on purchases for 6 months, but has a higher interest rate after that.
The David Jones American Express card lets you choose between earning Membership Rewards Points or Qantas Points for your spending. And if you’re a new card member, you'll earn a bonus 50,000 Membership Rewards Points or 25,000 Qantas Points when you apply online by 20 October 2021 and spend $1,500 on eligible purchases in the first 3 months from approval. You’ll also pay 0% interest on purchases for the first 6 months. But after that, the interest rate for purchases reverts to 20.74% p.a.
for the first 6 months (reverts to 20.74% p.a.)
Per $ spent
|Product Name||David Jones American Express Card|
|Rewards program||Membership Rewards|
|Purchase rate||0% p.a. for 6 months, reverts to 20.74% p.a.|
|Interest-free period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit||$2,000|
|Card type||American Express|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
|Available to temporary residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
- 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points or 25,000 Qantas Points
- High points earn rates of 3 points per $1 at major supermarkets and petrol stations, 2 points per $1 at David Jones and 1 point per $1 spent elsewhere
- 1 Rewards point = 0.5 Qantas Points
- Purchase rate reverts to 20.74% p.a. after the promotional period
- Offers up to 44 days interest-free on purchases for this card, as opposed to most cards with 55 days
|Rewards program||Membership Rewards|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1|
|Rewards points cap||Uncapped|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2.5% of the closing balance or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$30|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3%|
Amy Bradney-George has been writing about personal finance for more than 13 years – including over 600 articles as a senior writer for Finder. Her work has also appeared in publications including Money Magazine, The Sydney Morning Herald, Financy, ABC News Australia and Equity Magazine. Amy has a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Drama from Griffith University.
How to apply
If you've compared your options and want to apply for the David Jones American Express credit card, you can submit an online application in around 10 minutes. With this card, you should get a response within 5-10 working days. To make the process as smooth as possible, check that you meet the eligibility criteria and make sure you have the required documents and details on hand.
- Minimum income. You must earn a minimum of $40,000 per year.
- New cardholder. The offer is only available to new card members. This means you won't be eligible if you have held any other David Jones credit card product issued by American Express in the past 18 months. You also won't be eligible if you are applying for the David Jones American Express Staff Card.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or holder of a current long term visa (12 months or more, not including student visas) to be eligible to apply.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- Credit history. You must not have a history of bad debt or payment defaults. If you don't know your credit score or what's on your file, you can get a free copy of your credit report through Finder.
- Personal details. This includes your full name, residential address, email address, date of birth, driver's licence number, marital status, number of dependants and contact number.
- Employment details. This covers your income, current employment status, job title and employer's contact details. You may need to provide recent payslips, your latest tax return or your accountant's contact details (particularly if you're self-employed).
- Financial details. You'll need to share details of your savings or any other assets and investments as well as your existing loans, cards or other debts. You will also need to estimate your regular household spending on essentials such as groceries and bills.
- Frequent flyer number. If you want to earn Qantas Points with this card, you'll need to select that option during the application and then provide your Qantas Frequent Flyer number. Not a member yet? Check out this guide to find out how you can join for free.
- Bonus point offer. Collect 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards Points or 25,000 Qantas Points when you apply online as a new card member, get approved by 20 October 2021 and spend $1,500 outside of David Jones in the first 3 months. The points will then be credited to your account within 8 to 10 weeks of meeting the spend requirement.
- 0% purchase rate offer. Pay no interest for the first 6 months on purchases you make with your new David Jones American Express when you apply online and get approved for this card. At the end of the introductory period, this card will attract a 20.74% p.a. purchase interest rate. Note that you will still be required to meet minimum repayments during the interest-free period.
- Choice of Membership Rewards or Qantas Points. When you get this card, you can choose either the Membership Rewards program or the Qantas Frequent Flyer Program. One dollar earns 3 Membership Rewards Points (1.5 Qantas Points) at major supermarkets and petrol stations, 2 points (1 Qantas Point) at David Jones and 1 point (0.5 Qantas Points) everywhere else.
- Shop Small points offer. Earn 3 extra points per $1 spent and support small businesses. Just save the American Express Shop Small offer to your card and spend with participating businesses by 31 March 2022. The offer is valid both in store and online and you can earn a maximum total of 40,000 extra points. Check out Finder's news story on Shop Small for a breakdown of how it works.
- Redeeming points. If you opt for the Membership Rewards program, you can use your points to shop online at davidjones.com or redeem gift cards from various retailers, merchandise, concert tickets or transfer them for flight rewards with one of eight frequent flyer programs. If you opt for the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, you can redeem your points for Qantas flight tickets, flight upgrades, gift cards and an array of merchandise.
- In-store David Jones benefits. When you pay with your card in-store at David Jones, you can take advantage of complimentary gift-wrapping. You can also get up to 1 year interest-free when you spend a minimum of $500 on your card in one transaction, or up to 5 years interest-free when you spend a minimum of $1,000 on your card in one transaction. These interest-free options require no deposit and are available across all departments, in-store or online, at David Jones. You can also take advantage of the 3 Months Pay Later Option, which allows you to get what you want and defer payments for 3 months when you spend $50 or more on your card in one transaction, across all departments at David Jones (in-store and online).
- Online David Jones benefits. When you're shopping online at davidjones.com.au, you can enjoy complimentary gift-wrapping and complimentary standard delivery on most purchases when you pay with this card.
- Contactless mobile payments. You can use this card to make contactless payments using your compatible smart device with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay integration.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. The David Jones American Express charges a $99 annual fee.
- Additional cardholder. For every additional card, the David Jones American Express charges $0 for the first year, then $29 p.a. thereafter.
- Interest rate. Outside of any promotions, this card charges an interest rate of 20.74% p.a.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your balance in full each statement period, you can look forward to up to 44 interest-free days on purchases.