Amazon releases new Jean-Claude Van Johnson trailer
The muscles from Brussels is back, this time as... himself?
Jean-Claude Van Damme's latest acting endeavour will come courtesy of Amazon Prime Video, with a complete series of Jean-Claude Van Johnson due to land in Australia on 15 December.
As the name of the series suggests, this is a little more closely tied into the aging action star's persona than any number of his direct-to-DVD "hits" of years gone past, where he was inevitably the only Belgian-accented man in America, somehow. It also borrows loosely from the film JVCD in terms of both setting and tone.
In Jean-Claude Van Johnson, Van Damme plays "Jean-Claude Van Damme", a martial arts film star in retirement drawn back into the high-stakes world of the international underworld.
Problem is, he's been retired for a while, and age has taken its toll on his abilities. Jean-Claude Van Johnson was originally an Amazon Prime Video pilot, similar to The Tick, but from this December it'll be available as a full series for subscribers to the service.
Jean-Claude Van Johnson also stars Kat Foster (Your Family or Mine), Moises Arias (The Middle), and Phylicia Rashad (Creed, The Cosby Show). You can watch the full trailer below:
While Amazon Prime Video has offered a smaller library of streaming titles than competitors such as Netflix and Stan, it's been busy both with its own originals and deals such as its exclusive streaming rights deals to Thursday night NFL games.
- Gem Finder: You’re the Worst doesn’t sugarcoat romance
- Every confirmed Disney+ TV show and what we’d like to see
- What to watch this week: Shape of Water and Star Wars Resistance
- Disney+ streaming service: What we know so far about price, release date and exclusives
- This week in streaming: The Coen Brothers bring a ballad to the Wild West and Foxtel plants its flag on Castle Rock