Amazon Prime Video arrives on Apple TV
Amazon's own streaming service Prime Video is available via Apple TV, here's how.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Apple and Amazon had been clashing on the issue of Amazon Prime TV support for many years, with Amazon going so far as to pull the Apple TV from its US storefront in 2016, citing potential customer confusion as to the reason why.
Though in 2018 the pair at least made up enough for Prime Video to appear on Apple TV. Apple TV has proved to be a convenient piece of streaming hardware with majority of services available via the little black box.
How to connect your Apple TV to your Amazon Prime Video account
- Once you've configured your Apple TV, you'll want to download the Amazon Prime Video app by selecting the "App Store" option from the Apple TV home screen. From there, simply search for Amazon Prime Video and click "Install" to start the download.
- Once the installation process is completed, launch the Amazon Prime Video app and select "Sign In" to connect your existing Amazon Prime Video account. Alternatively, you can also sign up for Prime Video account via the app if you're not a member.
- Once you're logged in, you can start watching Amazon Prime Video on your Apple TV.
Using an iPhone or iPad to stream Amazon Prime Video
You can alternatively use your iPhone or iPad to connect to your Apple TV and watch Amazon Prime Video.
- Download the Amazon Prime Video app by selecting the "App Store" option from your phone or iPad home screen. From there, simply search for Amazon Prime Video and click "Install" to start the download.
- Once the installation process is completed, launch the Amazon Prime Video app and select "Sign In" to connect your existing Amazon Prime Video account. Alternatively, you can also sign up for a new Amazon Prime Video account through the Amazon Prime Video app.
- Make sure your device is on the same wifi network as your Apple TV.
- Once you're logged in to the Amazon Prime Video app, choose the movie or show you'd like to watch and press play on your device.
- Tap on the video and use the "Airplay" button in the top right hand corner to select your Apple TV.
- The show or video will now play on your TV.
In what regions is Amazon Prime Video available on Apple TV?
You can watch Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV in over 100 countries worldwide, including Australia.
|30 DAYS FREE: Sign up to Amazon Prime Video's free trial today|
What's the resolution for Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV?
A number of factors influence what resolution you can stream Amazon Prime Video in on Apple TV. First off, it's important to note that the first two generations of Apple TV do not support Amazon Prime Video. For Apple TV 4K, you can stream in SD, HD and UHD/HDR, while 3rd generation Apple TV's support SD and HD.
Just because the Apple TV is capable of streaming at a particular resolution doesn't mean it always will. First off you'll need a sufficiently fast Internet connection to stream at HD and UHD/HDR.
Subtitles and audio
Subtitles and captions for Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV are displayed in the lower half of the screen. To turn on subtitles, press play on your video and navigate to the "Menu" and select "Subtitles" in the Amazon Prime App.
Are you having trouble watching Amazon Prime Video on your Apple TV? Check these FAQs for solutions to common problems.
Follow us for all the latest mobile phone news and deals
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Amazon Fire TV Stick Lite review
Amazon's Fire Stick Lite adds a range of streaming services to your TV for a very low price, including Apple TV, but it's a frustrating platform to use.
Best Android tablets in Australia
Our expert team has analysed hundreds of customer reviews to determine the best Android tablets available in Australia for a variety of purposes.
Best tablets in Australia
Our expert team has analysed hundreds of customer reviews of computer tablets to determine the best tablets available in Australia for every budget and purpose.
Google Chromecast with Google TV review
Google's updated Chromecast now has a full interface of apps and is excellent value if you just want to add streaming apps to your existing TV.
Best smart TVs in Australia
Choose the right TV to meet your streaming, free to air and picture quality needs with our round-up of the best smart TVs for any budget.
Best projectors in Australia
Here are the 7 best projectors you can buy right now for all your home theatre and gaming needs.
Best GPS navigation systems in Australia 2020
These are the best GPS Navigation Systems in Australia for 2020, as determined by thousands of real customer reviews.
Amazon Prime Day 2020: Here are all the best tech deals
Amazon Prime Day has kicked off for another year. Here are the best tech deals so far, including laptops, phones, headsets, tablets and more.
Amazon Prime Day 2020: Best Philips Hue deals
Save on smart light bulbs, fixtures and accessories with up to 45% off a huge range of Philips Hue products.
Stream the best and save
All the biggest shows and movies from HBO and more on-demand.
Try Amazon Prime Video's huge library for 30 days free.
Ask an Expert