All the biggest shows and movies from HBO and more on-demand.
How to watch and set up Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV
Amazon's own streaming service Prime Video is available via Apple TV, here's how.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Apple and Amazon had been clashing on the issue of Amazon Prime TV support for many years, with Amazon going so far as to pull the Apple TV from its US storefront in 2016, citing potential customer confusion as to the reason why.
Though in 2018 the pair at least made up enough for Prime Video to appear on Apple TV. Apple TV has proved to be a convenient piece of streaming hardware with majority of services available via the little black box.
How to connect your Apple TV to your Amazon Prime Video account
- Once you've configured your Apple TV, you'll want to download the Amazon Prime Video app by selecting the "App Store" option from the Apple TV home screen. From there, simply search for Amazon Prime Video and click "Install" to start the download.
- Once the installation process is completed, launch the Amazon Prime Video app and select "Sign In" to connect your existing Amazon Prime Video account. Alternatively, you can also sign up for Prime Video account via the app if you're not a member.
- Once you're logged in, you can start watching Amazon Prime Video on your Apple TV.
Using an iPhone or iPad to stream Amazon Prime Video
You can alternatively use your iPhone or iPad to connect to your Apple TV and watch Amazon Prime Video.
- Download the Amazon Prime Video app by selecting the "App Store" option from your phone or iPad home screen. From there, simply search for Amazon Prime Video and click "Install" to start the download.
- Once the installation process is completed, launch the Amazon Prime Video app and select "Sign In" to connect your existing Amazon Prime Video account. Alternatively, you can also sign up for a new Amazon Prime Video account through the Amazon Prime Video app.
- Make sure your device is on the same wifi network as your Apple TV.
- Once you're logged in to the Amazon Prime Video app, choose the movie or show you'd like to watch and press play on your device.
- Tap on the video and use the "Airplay" button in the top right hand corner to select your Apple TV.
- The show or video will now play on your TV.
In what regions is Amazon Prime Video available on Apple TV?
You can watch Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV in over 100 countries worldwide, including Australia.
|30 DAYS FREE: Sign up to Amazon Prime Video's free trial today|
What's the resolution for Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV?
A number of factors influence what resolution you can stream Amazon Prime Video in on Apple TV. First off, it's important to note that the first two generations of Apple TV do not support Amazon Prime Video. For Apple TV 4K, you can stream in SD, HD and UHD/HDR, while 3rd generation Apple TV's support SD and HD.
Just because the Apple TV is capable of streaming at a particular resolution doesn't mean it always will. First off you'll need a sufficiently fast Internet connection to stream at HD and UHD/HDR.
Subtitles and audio
Subtitles and captions for Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV are displayed in the lower half of the screen. To turn on subtitles, press play on your video and navigate to the "Menu" and select "Subtitles" in the Amazon Prime App.
Are you having trouble watching Amazon Prime Video on your Apple TV? Check these FAQs for solutions to common problems.
Follow us for all the latest mobile phone news and deals
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 7 best deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals include: 80% off Memory Foam Mattresses, $215 off Bose QuietComfort headphones, 80% off FitSmart fitness trackers.
Wild Wests: Tales from Tiger Town – How to watch the Wests Tigers documentary
The Wests Tigers NRL team has become the focus of a four-part sports documentary and here's how you can watch it.
UFC 264 Poirier vs McGregor start time and how to watch in Australia
Global superstar Conor McGregor is talking tough before his UFC 264 decider against bitter rival Dustin Poirier.
Cheapest ways to watch UFC 264 Poirier vs McGregor 3 in Australia
Irish superstar Conor McGregor and American rival Dustin Poirier are ready to square off again in UFC 264.
New on Netflix, Stan, Prime Video, Disney+, Foxtel, BINGE and more in July 2021
Gossip Girl is back. That’s reason enough to get excited for the month ahead.
17 best JB Hi-Fi EOFY sales: Up to $700 off
You've got just 1 week to shop these huge Tax Time Madness offers at JB Hi-Fi.
How to get $90.95 off Nintendo Switch with Amazon Prime
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2021: Up to 75% off
Apple tech enthusiasts can save up to 75% throughout this year's Amazon Prime Day – here are the deals.
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best Nintendo Switch & Game Deals
Nintendo's beloved handheld gaming console is back on sale this Prime Day - read on for the best deals on consoles, games and accessories.
Amazon Echo Show 8 2nd Gen review: Smart display with a smarter camera
The upgraded Echo Show 8 2nd Gen benefits a lot from an improved and smart tracking camera.
Stream the best and save
Try Amazon Prime Video's huge library for 30 days free.
Ask an Expert