Amazon Prime Video arrives on Apple TV
Amazon's own streaming service Prime Video is available via Apple TV, here's how.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Apple and Amazon had been clashing on the issue of Amazon Prime TV support for many years, with Amazon going so far as to pull the Apple TV from its US storefront in 2016, citing potential customer confusion as to the reason why.
Though in 2018 the pair at least made up enough for Prime Video to appear on Apple TV. Apple TV has proved to be a convenient piece of streaming hardware with majority of services available via the little black box.
How to connect your Apple TV to your Amazon Prime Video account
- Once you've configured your Apple TV, you'll want to download the Amazon Prime Video app by selecting the "App Store" option from the Apple TV home screen. From there, simply search for Amazon Prime Video and click "Install" to start the download.
- Once the installation process is completed, launch the Amazon Prime Video app and select "Sign In" to connect your existing Amazon Prime Video account. Alternatively, you can also sign up for Prime Video account via the app if you're not a member.
- Once you're logged in, you can start watching Amazon Prime Video on your Apple TV.
Using an iPhone or iPad to stream Amazon Prime Video
You can alternatively use your iPhone or iPad to connect to your Apple TV and watch Amazon Prime Video.
- Download the Amazon Prime Video app by selecting the "App Store" option from your phone or iPad home screen. From there, simply search for Amazon Prime Video and click "Install" to start the download.
- Once the installation process is completed, launch the Amazon Prime Video app and select "Sign In" to connect your existing Amazon Prime Video account. Alternatively, you can also sign up for a new Amazon Prime Video account through the Amazon Prime Video app.
- Make sure your device is on the same wifi network as your Apple TV.
- Once you're logged in to the Amazon Prime Video app, choose the movie or show you'd like to watch and press play on your device.
- Tap on the video and use the "Airplay" button in the top right hand corner to select your Apple TV.
- The show or video will now play on your TV.
In what regions is Amazon Prime Video available on Apple TV?
You can watch Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV in over 100 countries worldwide, including Australia.
|30 DAYS FREE: Sign up to Amazon Prime Video's free trial today|
What's the resolution for Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV?
A number of factors influence what resolution you can stream Amazon Prime Video in on Apple TV. First off, it's important to note that the first two generations of Apple TV do not support Amazon Prime Video. For Apple TV 4K, you can stream in SD, HD and UHD/HDR, while 3rd generation Apple TV's support SD and HD.
Just because the Apple TV is capable of streaming at a particular resolution doesn't mean it always will. First off you'll need a sufficiently fast Internet connection to stream at HD and UHD/HDR.
Subtitles and audio
Subtitles and captions for Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV are displayed in the lower half of the screen. To turn on subtitles, press play on your video and navigate to the "Menu" and select "Subtitles" in the Amazon Prime App.
Are you having trouble watching Amazon Prime Video on your Apple TV? Check these FAQs for solutions to common problems.
Follow us for all the latest mobile phone news and deals
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 70% off Full Body Luxury Massage Chairs, 40% off HelloFresh boxes, 75% off wine at Vinomofo.
Best NAS drives in Australia
Upgrade your home storage with one of the best NAS devices available on store shelves here in Australia.
Best ultrabooks in Australia
These are the best ultrabooks currently on the market here in Australia.
Disney+ Star Australia: Full list of movies and TV shows [Updated]
Every TV show and movie launching on Disney Plus' new Star channel.
Best home security cameras in Australia
These are the best security camera systems you can get your hands on in Australia.
HDMI 2.1 explained: TV and gaming with PS5 and Xbox Series X
Here's everything you need to know about HDMI 2.1
Best 55-inch TVs in Australia
These are the best 55-inch TVs you can buy right now in Australia.
Best camera drones in Australia
These are the best camera-equipped drones you can buy right now in Australia.
Best tablets for kids in Australia
These are the best tablets for kids you can buy right now in Australia.
Apple iPad Air 2020 review
Apple has shifted the value proposition of the iPad Air from being the "fancy" basic iPad to the "low cost" iPad Pro, but the regular iPad is still going to be enough for most people.
Stream the best and save
All the biggest shows and movies from HBO and more on-demand.
Try Amazon Prime Video's huge library for 30 days free.
Ask an Expert