Amazon Prime Day video game deals 2020
Amazon has announced its annual members-only sale dates and now is the best time to secure video games at a steal.
Updated . What changed?
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Amazon Prime Day is a relatively new yet unmissable sale event that Prime members look forward to. This year's sale is scheduled to start at midnight on 13 October and the anticipation while we wait to see what discounts will be offered on video games is tangible.
Whether you're a gaming pro, a hobbyist or a total newbie, there's nothing quite as thrilling as purchasing the new must-have game, and lucky for you, Amazon Prime Day is offering some of the biggest deals and discounts you've been able to access this year. Plus, with this limited 24-hour sale shopping window being so close to the festive season, you really can't afford to miss out on the awesome discounts listed below.
Scroll on to see all the very best opportunities to save on video games being offered throughout the Amazon Prime Day event. Take it from us, these deals and discounts are too hot to miss!
While you wait for the next Amazon Prime Day, here are some other video game deals:
What is Amazon Prime Day?
Amazon Prime Day is now one of the most highly anticipated and exclusive shopping dates ever. The annual event even rivals Black Friday and Cyber Monday. However, unlike these huge shopping events in November, Amazon Prime Day is only accessible to Amazon Prime members, meaning there's no time like right now to sign up for your free trial of Amazon Prime.
When is Amazon Prime Day 2020?
This year, Amazon has been shaking things up and instead of hosting the Prime Day event as tradition in mid-July, the sale has been scheduled for October! Yep, you read that right. The online giant is hosting a two-day event that will run from midnight on 13 October through to 11:59 PM on 14 October, ensuring that this year's sale is even bigger than last year's 36-hour extravaganza.
How to score pre-Prime Day sales
Stay alert and keep a lookout for pre-sale discounts in the lead-up to the event. Last year, exclusive deals started as early as two weeks prior to the Prime Day event and Prime members were privy to 40% off Kindle Unlimited memberships as well as a discount on Amazon music streaming.
Another way you can look to access early Amazon Prime Day deals is to ask your Echo for early Prime deals. Last year, Alexa doled out exclusive savings to Echo owners two hours before the actual event kicked off. Start asking your Echo about Prime deals at around 9pm the night before the official date.
Can you preview Amazon Prime Day deals?
If you ask Alexa, there is a chance that you'll be able to learn about many exclusive deals days before Prime Day starts, giving you that highly coveted sneak peak of what's to come. Bear in mind that Amazon Prime Day is laid out in what it calls "Lightning Deals", which only last for a very limited time before they're gone. So, it pays to know exactly what you're looking for before you open the app.
Amazon Prime Day shopping tips
As with all major sales events, there are pros and cons to shopping on Amazon Prime Day. You can score some of the best deals all year by knowing what to look for and doing some research beforehand. Here are our top tips for picking up the best deals on Prime Day:
- Know when to strike and when to pass. The Prime Day Lightning Deals are released as often as every five minutes which can quickly turn an online shopping spree into a frenzy. While you do need to act fast to secure the products you really want, don't give in to the temptation to hit the "Add to Cart" button on every single item that flashes across your screen. Where possible, take the time to do a quick Internet search to confirm that the Prime Day price is really as good as it seems.
- Always read the fine print. Some Prime Day deals, particularly on big-ticket electronics like TVs and smart devices, mask the brand name and model number until seconds before the sale drops, so ensure you double-check these details before jumping on a low price.
- Plan ahead. Never, ever go into a sale event with no idea what it is you want to buy. Take some time before the sales start to think about what it is that you actually need or want to buy. Make a list of everything you want to pick up and give your sale shopping spree a purpose. By doing so, you'll avoid the otherwise inevitable ending where you walk away with a pile of things you didn't really want or need.
- Check reviews. Sale events can make you feel rushed to snatch up a discount, meaning you might not take the time to read through product reviews as carefully as you normally would. Whatever you do, don't skip this step unless you're already familiar with the product and know for sure it's what you want.
- Compare prices. As Amazon Prime Day this year is being launched close to Black Friday, you might want to check out competitor prices online. By now, other retailers are fully aware of Amazon's biggest deal day of the year, so there's a chance you could find similar or even better deals by shopping around.
- Voice shop. If you have an Echo device, take advantage of exclusive deals by voice shopping with Alexa.
More guides on Finder
Black Friday 2020: 10 killer deals from Kogan
Don't wait for Black Friday - Aussie website Kogan has already launched its sales hub with up to 80% off bestselling tech products. Here are the highlights.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Best Smart TVs in Australia
Choose the right TV to meet your streaming, free to air and picture quality needs with our roundup of the best Smart TVs for any budget
Five Black Friday deals to watch out for in 2020
What kind of deals can you expect to see this Black Friday? Here are five online bargains to watch out for.
Black Friday Alert: Early-bird deals from The Good Guys
The Good Guys is quietly sneaking online deals onto its Black Friday sales hub. Here are the biggest discounts so far – including $1,000 off 8K TVs.
Razer BlackShark V2 Pro wireless gaming headset review
Comfortable, powerful and versatile, the Razer BlackShark V2 Pro is up there with the best wireless gaming headsets on the market.
Vogue Fashion’s Night In 2020: Deals, dates and events
The 11-day shopping event will see major discounts from all your favourite fashion and beauty brands.
Where to buy discounted Xbox Series X games online
Don't pay full price on Xbox Series X video games. You can save over 30% on discounted next-gen Xbox Series games at these online stores.
Best Prime Day deals still available from Amazon US and UK
You can still grab a great Prime Day deal with global offers on OPPO smartphones, Seagate game drives and more.
Amazon Prime Day 2020: Best Samsung deals
Samsung's best Amazon Prime Day deals include 24% off Galaxy Note 20 smartphones, 40% off Galaxy Buds and 1TB SSDs for $269.
Ask an Expert