Amazon Prime Day is live now, and we've got all the deals you need to know about right here.
Australia's first Amazon Prime Day is officially over, but don't worry if you missed out. There are always fresh deals rolling out over at Amazon, and you can browse through them our Amazon Australia deals page.
Amazon is renowned for having some of the best prices and most competitive product offerings available online, so an event like this is something that savvy shoppers and bargains hunters should be excited about.
What is Amazon Prime Day?
According to Amazon, "Prime Day is a one-day only global shopping event exclusively for Prime members."
While Amazon has not been very forthcoming about the details so far, we do know that Prime Day will be a sales event where very competitive deals and bargain prices will be offered across all categories on Amazon. But, you have to be a Prime subscriber to access them.
Amazon Australia just recently launched Prime, so you may not have signed up to it yet. If you do want to sign up and want to know if it's worth it, you can read our guide to Amazon Prime in Australia.
When is Amazon Prime Day?
Amazon is currently advertising that Prime Day will start at 12pm AEST 16 July for Australia, and run for 36 hours. That means you'll have until midnight on the 18 July to take advantage of the savings.
What sorts of deals are there for Australians?
Although Amazon made the decision to block Aussies from shopping on its global sites, there are still roughly four million global products that we can buy. Plus, there are millions of products now on the Australian Amazon store as well. So there will be plenty of goodies and bargains to snap up.
We're expecting to see the majority of discounts fall across electronics and whitegoods. But Amazon is also notorious for fashion and beauty discounts – we're talking mascaras and foundations for under $5. So keep your eyes peeled for deals across all major categories.
Amazon Prime Day shopping tips
As with any huge shopping event, there are pros and cons to shopping on Amazon Prime Day. You can score some of the best deals all year by knowing what to look for and doing a little research beforehand. Here are our top tips for snagging the lowest prices on Prime Day:
- Know when to strike and when to pass. Lightning Deals that are released as often as every five minutes can turn online shopping into a frenzy. While you do need to snap up some items as fast as you can, don’t be pressured into clicking “Add to Cart” on every single item that flashes across your screen. If you can, do a quick Internet search to make sure the Prime Day price is really as good as it seems.
- Read the fine print. In the US, some Prime Day deals, particularly on big-ticket electronics like TVs and computers, have hidden the brand name and model number until just before the sale drops, so you should make sure you double-check these details before jumping on a low price.
- Check reviews. When you feel rushed to snatch up a discount, you might not take the time to read through product reviews like you normally would. Don’t skip this step, unless you’re already familiar with the product and know for sure it’s what you want.
- Compare prices. It may be Australia's first official Prime Day sale, but retailers are aware of the impact Amazon has had on the local marketplace, so don't be surprised to see even more competitive prices on offer from other stores over the Prime Day sale.
- Voice shop. If you have an Echo device, take advantage of exclusive deals by voice shopping with Alexa.
Should I sign up to Amazon Prime?
It depends on you. Amazon Prime might work really well for you and your family, but it also may not be the right choice. Head to our guide to Amazon Prime to read more about why you could consider signing up.
Or take a look at our comparison of subscription shipping services to see where you can get the best price.