Amazon Echo Studio review
Quick verdict: The Echo Studio is Amazon’s best-sounding smart speaker, but its most impressive features aren’t available in Australia.
- Big sound with powerful bass
- Easy to set up with automatic calibration
- Offers thousands of Alexa skills
- Larger and heavier than other Echo devices
- Dolby Atmos surround sound and 3D audio aren’t available in Australia
- High price for limited functionality
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Amazon's Echo Studio launched in Australia last year, bringing bigger and better sound to the Echo line of speakers. But while the Echo Studio boasts impressive sound, Australian customers can't access the best of what the speaker has to offer. The Amazon website boasts that it's "the first smart speaker with Dolby Atmos", but access requires the recent version of the Amazon Fire TV Stick, which isn't available in Australia.
Ultimately, this leaves Australian consumers with a version of the Echo Studio that's missing key functionality.
- Has a cylindrical shape with a horizontal cutout
- Only comes in one colour
- Requires 6-inches of clearance on all sides
- Heavier and less portable than other Echo devices
- Automatic calibration takes less than a minute
- Powerful sound with a booming bass
- Dolby Atmos isn't available in Australia
- Amazon Music HD isn't available in Australia
- Best sounding Echo speaker yet
- Australian version has limited capability
Should you buy it?
The Echo Studio sounds better than any other Echo speaker, even without Dolby Atmos. It's unfortunate that Amazon isn't yet able to offer Amazon Music HD and Dolby Atmos in Australia and hopefully will change in the future.
However, while Australian customers don't get the complete functionality of the speaker, we still have to pay the full price. Until Amazon brings the necessary Amazon Fire TV Stick to Australia, the Echo Studio isn't worth the high asking price of $329.
Pricing and availability