Amazon Echo 2019 (3rd Gen) review
Quick verdict: With better sound quality and a more appealing design than its predecessor, the 2019 Echo offers most of the best elements of the 2019 Echo Plus for a fraction of the cost.
- Great value for money
- Well-balanced sound
- Significant speaker improvements from the previous version
- No built-in smart home hub
- No display
- Alexa isn’t always intuitive to use
Amazon launched several new Echo smart speakers in 2019, including the 3rd Generation Echo.
The 2019 Echo not only has a better-looking design and improved speakers than the 2nd Generation model, it actually has the exact same design and speaker configuration as 2019 Echo Plus. The only feature separating Echo from the Echo Plus is that the Echo doesn't include a built-in Zigbee smart home hub. However, with a much lower price tag, the 2019 Echo offers better value than the 2019 Echo Plus.
- Fabric-wrapped cylindrical body
- Available in four different colours
- Improved speaker configuration
- Includes the signature Amazon Echo light ring
- Looks just like the Echo Plus (2nd Gen)
- Better audio than the Echo (2nd Gen)
- Full sound with a deep bass
- No Zigbee smart-home hub
- Alexa voice commands can feel unnatural
- Great value for money
- Offers the best elements of the Echo Plus for a lower cost
- Powerful sound for the size and price
Should you buy it?
The Echo (3rd Gen) is a significant improvement on the Echo (2nd Gen) in terms of both design and performance. It looks cooler, the speakers are much better and Alexa's range of skills continues to expand.
The obvious comparison point for the 2019 Echo is the 2019 Echo Plus because they're almost identical. For an additional $80, the Echo Plus has the Zigbee smart home hub, but Zigbee is still limited and not as useful as the price difference would indicate. Many smart devices don't require the use of a hub anymore, and Zigbee is only compatible with certain products (albeit more products than an Echo without Zigbee).
When it comes down to it, the Echo (3rd Gen) is the obvious choice. Priced at SRP $149, it offers everything you'd need from a mid-range smart speaker.
Pricing and availability
- Everything Apple announced at its Unleashed MacBook Pro event
- HTC Vive Flow: Is it VR aimed at gaming or lifestyle?
- How to watch Apple’s Unleashed event (and what to expect)
- LG XBOOM 360: Details, specs, availability, price and impressions
- Hot Wheels RC Cybertruck out now in Australia: Is it any good?