With its 5-inch screen, front and rear cameras and Android 6.0 operating system, the Alcatel U5 provides basic smartphone features at an eminently affordable price.
The Alcatel U5 smartphone checks all the boxes of a modern smartphone without weighing itself down with dozens of flashy features or a wince-worthy price tag. If all you need is a device capable of handling calls and texts, checking your emails, browsing the Internet and other straightforward tasks, the Alcatel U5 warrants your consideration.
- An unassuming design built for functionality rather than fashion.
- 480p resolution is a little on the low side for a 5-inch screen.
- Perfectly functional, albeit entirely humdrum.
- Primarily suited for basic tasks and not much else.
- 1GB of RAM limits multi-tasking capabilities.
- Up to 11 hours of talk time and 441 hours on standby, according to Telstra.
- Should easily make it through a full day on a single charge.
Pricing and availability
A smartphone without all the complications
The Alcatel U5 offers a simple, streamlined smartphone experience with a very attractive price tag.
- You can purchase the Alcatel U5 for $99 through Telstra or from retailers like Big W and Woolworths.
Alcatel U5 specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||5 inches|
|Resolution||480 x 854|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||196|
|Rear camera megapixels||5MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||N/A|
|Front camera megapixels||2MP|
|Front camera aperture size||N/A|
|Dimensions||140.7mm x 71.8mm x 10mm|
|Network category speed||Category 4|
|Operating system||Android 6|
|External storage support||Up to 32GB|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Alcatel U5
Latest Alcatel news
The Alcatel 1X (2019) brings dual cameras and a simple affordable approach to smartphones. Read more…
Alcatel delivers fair value for those who still yearn for a simple flip phone to meet their communications needs with the Alcatel 3026G 3G. Read more…
The Alcatel 3L is a cheaper, less-powerful alternative to the Alcatel 3 that retains the same sleek design and extra-wide 19.5:9 aspect ratio. Read more…