With its 5-inch screen, 8MP camera and built-in fingerprint sensor, the Alcatel A3 delivers basic smartphone features at an affordable price.
When shopping for a top-of-the-line smartphone, choosing between different brands is relatively straightforward. Companies like Apple, Samsung and Google are household names and most people already know which company's design ethos they prefer.
The decision process isn't quite so simple when shopping for a budget smartphone. Many budget brands have little to no presence outside of the low-cost mobile space, making it difficult to know what distinguishes one brand's handsets from another's.
Alcatel stands as an exception to this rule. The long-running phone brand has established itself as one of the go-to names in the budget space, delivering cheap smartphones that often punch above their weight. One such smartphone is the Alcatel A3, a simple 4G handset designed to meet the needs of our modern connected society without costing an arm and a leg. Does it hit its goal? Let's take a look.
- Fingerprint sensor is a nice addition in a budget phone.
- Android 6.0 is getting on in years, but it's still a decent operating system.
- Standard camera hardware should be fine for most basic photography.
- Software interpolation is neat but can't compete with higher-resolution lenses.
- Low-power hardware is as expected for a phone at this price.
- Standard tasks shouldn't give it too much trouble.
- Up to 10 hours of talk time and 330 hours on standby, per Optus benchmarks.
- Most users should have no issue getting a full day of use out of a single charge.
Pricing and availability
All the basics on a budget
The Alcatel A3 is an affordable entry point into the smartphone world that doesn't compromise on functionality.
- You can purchase a prepaid Alcatel A3 from Optus for $129, or you can find it even cheaper at retailers like Big W and Woolworths.
|Display size (inches)||5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1280 x 720|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||294|
|Battery size (mAh)||2,460|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||13|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||5|
|Front camera (1) aperture||N/A|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 4|
Latest Alcatel news
With a 12-month Family Zone subscription bundled in, the Alcatel FZ One is a top choice for parents wanting to monitor and manage their kids' screen time. Read more…
Not all phones have to cost you an arm and a leg. Read more…
By packing in an 18:9 display and Android Oreo Go, the Alcatel 1X is capable of more than you'd expect from a budget smartphone. Read more…