Alcatel 3L 2020 review
- Good battery life
- Flexible camera
- Slow app performance
- Charging over MicroUSB
|Launch price (RRP)||$0|
Alcatel as a brand only sells in the budget space, and for years now, it's pumped out a near endless array of entirely solid value phones but very little that was particularly exciting or pushed the envelope in what you could get out of a cheap phone.
The Alcatel 3L changes that perception, bringing a range of genuinely exciting camera features and solid battery life. There are still some compromises here in terms of overall performance, but this is easily Alcatel's best phone in years, and one of the best phones you can buy for under $200.
- 6.22-inch display
- Only 720p
- Easy-to-reach fingerprint sensor
- Triple lenses gives you lots of image choice
- Slow camera app
- MediaTek Helio P22 is very slow
- Alcatel's track record with Android updates isn't great
- 4,000mAh battery performs well
- MicroUSB charging is disappointing
Should you buy it?
I came into testing the Alcatel 3L 2020 expecting it to be yet another Alcatel phone: reasonable value but nothing exciting.
That's not what I got. Look, it's not particularly quick, but few phones in this price bracket are. The design isn't massively eye-catching, and MicroUSB charging is annoying.
However, the camera is genuinely flexible and fun to use, and it's easily the best going in a sub-$200 handset. The battery life, which underpins anything else you're going to do with the Alcatel 3L 2020, is very good.
Pricing and availability
Power, storage and battery
Images: Alex Kidman
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked