The Alcatel 1C is a slow phone with a terrible camera, but its solid battery life and genuinely low asking price make it a worthwhile buy if all you need is a basic smartphone.
- Good battery life
- 18:9 display
- Fingerprint sensor
- Ordinary app performance
- 3G only
- Locked to Telstra
The Alcatel 1C isn't a fancy phone by any stretch of the imagination, but it's impossible to argue that it doesn't represent good value.
Alcatel's entire smartphone business is built around providing low-cost handsets for the market that can't (or won't) spend into the mid-range or premium price points. For years, it's offered affordable phones, most of which were tough to recommend due to their limitations. While the Alcatel 1C isn't fancy by any measure, the sum of its parts and its low asking price make it a very easy recommendation if you're after a simple replacement phone on the Telstra network.
- 18:9 display is better than you typically get at this price point
- The inclusion of a fingerprint sensor puts the 1C ahead of many of its competitors
- Bare-bones camera is pretty much what you'd expect from a budget smartphone
- Don't expect brilliant high-speed or low-light photography
- Slow, but no slower than other phones at this price
- Lack of 4G support means slower Internet speeds
- Power-efficient hardware ensures all-day battery life is easily achievable
- No fast-charging
- A bare-bones smartphone that distinguishes itself with its tiny price tag
Pricing and availability
The budget-friendly smartphone
If all you're after is a basic smartphone at a price that won't send you broke, the Alcatel 1C fits that bill to a T.
- The Alcatel 1C is available directly from Telstra for $89 as well as retailers like Big W and Target.
|Display size (inches)||5.34|
|Display resolution (pixels)||960 x 480|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||201|
|Battery size (mAh)||2,460|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||8|
|Rear camera (1) aperture|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||5|
|Front camera (1) aperture|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||N/A|
Latest Alcatel news
With a 12-month Family Zone subscription bundled in, the Alcatel FZ One is a top choice for parents wanting to monitor and manage their kids' screen time. Read more…
Not all phones have to cost you an arm and a leg. Read more…
By packing in an 18:9 display and Android Oreo Go, the Alcatel 1X is capable of more than you'd expect from a budget smartphone. Read more…