Airbnb starts new split payment program
Pay for just 50% of your stay now, and the rest later.Airbnb has announced the launch a new partial payment option, joining the likes of other accommodation sites offering guests the option to book now and pay later.
While not as sweet of a deal as payment options from sites like Agoda, Hotels.com or Booking.com, which allow you to lock in a price and pay for it on arrival, Airbnb’s “Pay Less Up Front” program requires guests to pay for 50% of their stay, with the remaining balance to be paid at a date closer to arrival.
Not every booking on Airbnb will allow the option, though. Only stays valued at $250 or more and booked at least 14 days in advance are eligible.
However, during a trial of the program, Airbnb said that 40% of people did choose the split-payment option.
The program launched to all Airbnb users today across both its website and mobile app.
Prior to today, Airbnb required guests to pay as soon as a host accepted their request, or instantly if the “Instant Book” option was selected.
With the ever-growing popularity of book now pay later and layby options, it doesn’t come as a shock to us that Airbnb has announced the program.
- Cheap Travel Deals of the Week: Tigerair, Virgin Australia, TourRadar, Ola, Eurail
- Trainfinder Sydney: Travelling every train line in a single day
- 5 best places to cruise in February 2019
- Cheap Flights of the Week: Scandinavia, Vanuatu and Australia
- Most popular destinations for Australians, revealed