Airbnb expands beyond rentals in Australia
The accommodation giant launches new Trips platform.
Airbnb has expanded its offerings in Australia, branching out beyond accommodation listings and launching a new platform, Trips, which incorporates local experiences, events, recommendations and tips.
The one-stop-shop platform was originally launched in 12 cities across the globe late last year and is now available in Australia, with an initial focus on Sydney. Travellers and locals can select from around 20 curated Sydney-based activities designed and led by experienced locals.
For example, you can take a behind-the-scenes tour of world famous chef Neil Perry's popular Rockpool Bar & Grill restaurant, located in the heart of the CBD or experience a morning of sun, sand and surf with Bondi Rescue Lifeguard and television personality Andrew "Reidy" Reid.
The company claims Trips is the most significant development in its eight-year history.
Airbnb vice president of product Joseph Zadeh said feedback and interest has been overwhelming.
"Trips gives people travelling to Sydney the opportunity to feel like they can truly belong anywhere, which is integral to Airbnb’s global community. For local Sydneysiders, they can participate in and contribute to local tourism, sharing their skills and favourite experiences with others, while making a little extra money from their interests and passions," he said.
Trips covers three focus elements important to travellers: Experiences, Places and Homes.
Experiences offers unprecedented access to locals sharing their passions and interests. Some include:
- Get an insider’s view of the Sydney Opera House. Hear stories of great performers and enjoy dinner and drinks in the Green Room before taking in a live performance from the best seat in the house.
- Go off the grid with Michael Mobbs and learn how he lives sustainably off natural resources without needing to pay for water or electricity or buy groceries.
- Explore Cabramatta like a local and join Angie Hong, mother to Dan Hong of Ms.G's, Mr Wong and El Loco fame, on a culinary walking tour. Enjoy a Vietnamese feast at renowned Thanh Binh restaurant.
- Learn from Oakley Big Wave Award champ Mark Matthews and discover the big breaks of Cape Fear.
Places includes recommendations and hidden gems from insiders in the know, with 34 Sydney guidebooks now live and featuring some of the city’s best-kept secrets. Some include:
- Visit the many beaches and rockpools that inspired Ken Done, one of Sydney’s most iconic artists.
- Discover Dara Hayes aka DJ Tigerlily’s favourite places to relax and enjoy a Sunday session.
- Follow a fashionistas footsteps and discover designer Collette Dinnigan’s most loved boutiques.
- Get inked at some of the best body art parlours, as revealed by renowned tattoo artist Melanie Milne.
Homes offers three million properties to book across 191 countries. This is the largest and most diverse range of unique accommodation options available anywhere. In Australia there are more than 115,000 listings, with Sydney ranked among Airbnb's top 10 cities globally, offering 22,000 local properties.
Over the coming months, Airbnb will add more experiences and guidebooks to the Trips platform.
- Cheap Travel Deals of the Week: AirAsia, Accor, DiDi, Skydive Australia
- Score up to 33% off and free perks with Celebrity Cruises Worldwide sale
- Ticketmaster goes blockchain, and it’s easy to see why
- Coinbase co-founder: Blockchain will make gaming economies real
- Apple iPhone XR: Australian plan pricing compared