Adelaide gets one step closer to becoming the next GigCity
EscapeNet has won the contract to deliver the $7.6 million ultra-fast Internet service to GigCity Adelaide.
After an extensive tender and evaluation process to find the provider for the GigCity network, the state government has appointed Internet service provider EscapeNet to provide the GigCity Adelaide network.
The GigCity network aims to place South Australia in a competitive position to drive technological research and innovation and provide affordable gigabit speeds to businesses. This will allow businesses to download and upload at speeds of 1 gigabit per second. Comparatively, the fastest consumer NBN plans can generally achieve up to 100Mbps download speeds.
Which areas will be eligible to receive gigabit speeds?
The GigCity Adelaide network will be available to key innovation precincts and co-working spaces, running via the South Australian Broadband Research and Education Network (SABRENet) fibre optic network. The GigCity network will be exclusive to business customers within designated precincts.
The designated precincts that will receive GigCity coverage include:
- Tonsley Innovation Precinct
- Technology Park
- Techport Maritime Precinct
- St Paul’s Creative Centre
- Hub Adelaide
- Science Park
- Adelaide Smart City Studio
- South Australian Film Corporation
- The Mill
- Carclew’s Fifth Quarter
- Stretton Centre
How much will the plans cost?
|Micro-business 200GB Plan||$49.90/month|
|Micro-business Unlimited Plan||$99.90/month|
|Business 1TB Plan||$179.90/month|
The rising presence of gigabit NBN speeds should lead to more competitive business prices on lower NBN tiers and gigabit plans. Increasing price competition is evident in GigCity Adelaide's entry-level plan, which starts at $49.90 per month. This price would typically get you an NBN 12 speed plan in today's market. If gigabit speeds have not been announced in your area, NBN 100 plans are the next best option.
- Finder to the Node: NBN competition is heating up while prices fall
- Finder to the Node: HFC fixes incoming as the NT waits for good Internet
- Vodafone cuts NBN contract pricing
- Finder to the Node: Aussie Broadband delivers the fastest NBN speeds
- Finder to the Node: Will new rules make NBN transitions easier for consumers?
For more broadband news, deals and offers, follow and subscribe below