ACT mask rules: Where do I need to wear a mask? (November 2022)
Here's what you need to know about ACT's mask rules, and its regulations associated with the usage of rapid antigen tests (RATs).Edit product set
Highly transmissible Omicron subvariants are beginning to take hold in Australia. This means residents of the ACT should expect a spike in cases.
Here's what you need to know about regulations regarding face masks and RAT kits in the ACT. If you need to buy either of these items, check out our guides to purchasing N95 masks and RATs in the territory.
ACT mask rules
You must wear a face mask in the ACT if you are over the age of 12 in the following settings:
- When visiting or working in a high-risk setting, disability or aged care setting (including a residential premises)
Wearing a mask in the ACT is recommended in the following settings:
- Diagnosed persons entering a public indoor space if they need to leave the home
- Household contacts when in indoor spaces that are outside of the home or when on public transport.
Buy masks in ACT
Different types of masks
However, with the rise of the extremely transmissible Omicron variant, both of these styles of masks are considered suboptimal. Most experts now believe that N95, KN95 and P2 masks are far better options to protect yourself, your family and your community. All 3 mask styles are very similar. Most importantly, they all form a tight seal and filter out 94–95% of particles.
RAT rules in the ACT
If you test positive on a RAT, you must register your result on this form.
Buy RATs in the ACTEdit top picks
- Use code: HEALTH20 at checkout for 20% off RATs
- Same day order processing
- Nation-wide shipping, from Sydney
- Accepts Apple Pay
- Buy 1, get 1 Free
- Ships nationwide
- Fast Results in 15 Minutes & ARTG approved
- Free shipping over $100
- Accurate detection with high sensitivity and specificity
- Convenient self-testing
- Reliable and fast results in 15 minutes
- Free shipping over $140
- Offers Afterpay
- Accepts Apple Pay
- Accepts PayPal
- TGA approved
- Very high sensitivity: sensitivity of 95.1%; specificity of 100%
- Convenient at-home self-testing kit
- Results in 15 – 20 mins
- Easy to use and easy to read results
How to use a RAT kit
Unsure as to how rapid antigen tests work or need a reminder? NSW Health has produced this helpful, generic video. Remember that instructions will vary from brand to brand.