- Pros: Effectively a very small smartphone, good build quality, GPS capability, 5MP camera
- Cons: No 3G or 4G connectivity, buggy software
- Why should I buy it? It’s a solid unit with some impressive features and buying the Abardeen F80 means you’ll have different tech to everyone else.
You may also like
- ALSO READ: Key Features of Pebble Smartwatches
- ALSO READ: Comparing Wearables: How to Choose the Right One for You
- ALSO READ: The Complete List of All Wearable Apps
Produced by Chinese company Abardeen, the F80 is a smartwatch designed for the Chinese market. Some people might automatically assume that the ‘Made in China’ tag equates to cheap and dodgy construction, but that’s not the case with the F80.
Solidly built and boasting a distinctive glass top, the F80 is a durable piece of machinery. Its also small enough to sit on your wrist unobtrusively and without looking completely out of place, which is exactly what you want from a smartwatch.
The most impressive feature of the F80’s design, however, is that you don’t need to pair it with a compatible smartphone to get the best out of it. That’s right - this is basically a smart phone that can be worn as a watch.
- 5 MP camera. This is an impressive inclusion on a watch of this size, allowing you to take surprisingly high-quality photos with ease.
- GPS and compass. GPS tracking is a handy feature on the F80, while the compass can also help you find your way around.
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. The Abardeen F80 features its own customised version of Android, which some users have reported suffers from a number of bugs.
- 1.54-inch display. This display features 240 x 240 resolution and is large enough and clear enough for all your day-to-day needs. A capacitive touch sensor makes the F80 simple to use.
- Detachable. One of the F80’s most unique features is that it can be detached from the wristband and mounted on other items. This means you can mount it on your car windshield when you need the GPS navigation feature, or simply that you can hold it to your face when making a phone call rather than having to raise your entire arm to be able to speak into your wrist.
- Other features. Some other key features of the Abardeen F80 include 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage, a 550mAh battery, a micro USB port, micro SIM slot and a 1.2GHz Cortex A7 dual-core processor.
Ease of use
Perhaps the best feature of the F80 is its detachability, which greatly increases its practicality for a wide variety of everyday uses. Its functional design also contributes to this smartwatch’s ease of use - it fits snugly and comfortably on your wrist and won’t make you feel like you’re lugging around a heavy weight at the end of your arm. Finally, the display screen is one of the best you’ll find on the smartwatch market, providing clear and crisp pictures, and it’s also pleasingly resistant to scratches and scuff marks.
However, there are some downsides to the F80. The modified version of Android it runs could cause you headaches, while the amount of pre-installed apps is quite limited. There’s also no 3G or 4G connectivity, with EDGE the only available option for mobile data. Last but not least, the F80 is not waterproof, which is a definite disadvantage.
The final word
All in all, the Abardeen F80 is actually quite an impressive little package. It’s impressively put together and unlike many current smartwatches on the market, it doesn’t need to be paired with a compatible smartphone in order for you to get full use of its features. Its display is fantastic, its GPS capability works well, and the five megapixel camera is a pleasing inclusion.
Of course, as we’ve pointed out, there are some problems with software bugs and the lack of 3G and 4G connectivity. But these are not insurmountable problems and if you’re willing to find a way around them, the Abardeen F80 is definitely worth considering if you’re in the market for an enviable piece of wearable tech.