Receive up to $100,000 in accidental injury cover with AAMI.
It’s unfortunate but accidents happen, and often at the most inopportune moment. While you can’t stop accidents from happening, you can ensure that you have adequate financial protection in place when they occur. AAMI Accidental Injury Insurance provides a lump sum payment of up to $100,000 when a policyholder suffers an accidental injury, giving you the financial support and time you need to recover.
More Information About AAMI Accidental Injury Insurance
- Automatic Indexation Benefit. The amounts payable under the Injury Benefit increase by CPI on the policy anniversary. This ensures that cover keeps pace with the rising cost of living.
- Accidental Death Benefit. If you die within 365 days of an accident, your nominated beneficiary will receive a lump sum benefit payment. The benefit amount is $15,000 under the Standard Package and $30,000 under the Plus Package, although this benefit stops on your 90th birthday.
- Injury Benefit. If you have an accident that results in an injury which is covered by your policy, you’ll receive a specified benefit for that injury. The exact benefit amount depends on whether policy is a Standard or Plus Package. For example, if a policyholder suffers loss of limbs or sight, they’ll receive a $50,000 payment if they have the Standard Package. The benefit amount rises to $100,000 under the Plus Package. These benefit amounts reduce following a policyholders’ 80th birthday. Covered injuries include:
- loss of limbs or sight
- single loss of a limb or eye
AAMI’s Accidental Injury Insurance is available for Australian citizens and permanent residents who are between 18 and 75 years of age (inclusive). Cover is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year under this policy.
Once you have taken out cover, you have 30 days from the date of your policy’s commencement to make sure that this is the right insurance policy for you. During this cooling-off period, you can cancel your policy by notifying AAMI verbally or in writing. Verbal notification will require you to answer certain questions to prove your identity.
If you cancel your policy during this period and you have not made a claim, you will receive a full refund of any premium you have paid.Back to top
There are certain circumstances under which your AAMI Accidental Injury Insurance claim will not be paid, including:
- if it is the result of your intentional self-inflicted act
- if it arises as a result of you engaging in aviation or aerial activities other than as a passenger on a commercial airline
- if it arises as a result of mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling or canyoning
- if your claim is a result of diving to a depth of 45 metres or more, wreck diving or diving in a cave
- if your claim is a result of you being under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- if it is a result of you riding or driving a vehicle in any race
- if you work in an occupation:
- offshore in the oil, gas or petroleum industry
- overseas as a member of the armed forces
- requiring you carry a firearm
- with explosives
- at heights above 15 metres
- underground in a mine.
Your AAMI Accidental Injury Insurance premium are based on your age and the specific insurance package you have chosen. The higher level of protection offered by the Plus Package means it obviously attracts a higher premium than the Standard Package. For example, the average monthly premiums for a person aged between 18 and 65 who has a Standard package is $18.05, while someone with the Plus Package would pay $32.49 per month.
Your premium is guaranteed to remain the same for a period of 12 months from the commencement date of your policy. However, after this period, your premium may increase every year as you grow older and as your policy coverage limits grow thanks to the Automatic Indexation Benefit. AAMI will send you written confirmation of your new premium before each policy anniversary.
In some cases, you may be able to take advantage of a 10% family discount when one of your immediate family members takes out their own AAMI Accidental Injury Insurance policy.
You’ll need to nominate a bank account or credit card from which you will pay your premiums. You can also select from either monthly or annual premiums, and you have 14 days (or 30 days if you pay monthly) from the date each premium is due to make payment. If these days of grace pass and you have not paid your premium, your policy will be cancelled.
AAMI Accidental Injury Insurance premiums are usually not tax deductible.Back to top
If you wish to make a claim under your policy, you, your beneficiary or your legal representative can contact AAMI on 13 22 44. The insurer will then send you a claim pack which you will need to complete, sign and then return.
If claiming under the Injury Benefit, you’ll need to contact AAMI as soon as is reasonably possible after your accident. You will also need to provide proof of identity and the following information:
- If your claim is for a fracture, you’ll need a certified medical certificate from your doctor.
- For dislocation claims, you’ll need a certified medical certificate from a doctor, attending nurse or ambulance officer.
- If your claim is for singles loss of limb or eye, loss of limbs or sight or severe burns, your claim form will need to be completed by you and a registered doctor.
If you have passed away and the claim is for the Accidental Death Benefit, your nominated beneficiary or legal representative will need to contact AAMI as soon as is reasonably possible following your death. They will need to supply a completed claim form, a certified copy of the death certificate, proof of identity and any other information that AAMI requests.
Once your claim has been processed, all payments are provided as a lump sum in Australian dollars.
AAMI Accidental Injury Insurance is designed to offer peace of mind and financial protection when you and your family need it most. This policy has a number of attractive features for prospective customers, but it’s important to compare this policy with others on the market to determine which one is right for you.