9Now is now available on Fetch TV and PlayStation 4
Channel 9 expands the reach of its streaming catchup service with two new hardware partners.
Australian free-to-air commercial broadcasters were somewhat slow to come to the streaming party, although the same wasn’t true of either the ABC via iView or SBS and its SBS On Demand service. The shift in 2016 to more competing streaming services and the explosive growth of Netflix especially has left the existing FTA networks in a bit of a bind as they’ve scrambled to get their services onto the set top boxes and other devices found underneath the TV sets of Australian homes.
9Now has today announced that its streaming and catchup services are now available for Sony PlayStation 4 console owners, as well as users of the Fetch TV set top box family. While 9Now is free to access and is free as an app for PS4 owners to download, use would attract standard data charges.
9Now’s deal with Sony will also extend to "select" Sony Smart TVs in early 2017. No word as yet as to which models those would be, but as a rule of thumb if you’ve had your smart TV for more than a couple of years, you’re probably not going to be in the target group.
- Marvel fans rejoice: Disney+ original series WandaVision is here and ready to stream
- Every Harry Potter film is going to be available to stream in Australia
- A Discovery of Witches season 2: The vampires and witches are finally back
- Two free ways to watch the new Tiger Woods HBO doco in Australia [Updated]
- New on Netflix, Stan, Prime Video, Foxtel, BINGE, Disney+, hayu and more in January 2021
For all the latest in TV and movie streaming, follow and subscribe below