Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa

If you’re a parent or are sponsoring family to come to Australia, don’t forget to meet the visa’s health requirements. Compare 870 visa health insurance from $78/month.

1 - 0 of 0
Name Product Visa Compliant Hospital Cover Dental Pregnancy Cover GP Visits Medical Repatriation Price
No items match the given criteria.

Will you need overseas visitor health cover?

Going on the 870 visa means it's likely you'll need to get Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC). This is health insurance tailored to temporary visas and for people who aren't covered by Medicare.

OVHC pays towards the cost of many prescription medicines and an ambulance in an emergency. It covers the same hospital and extras (out of hospital) treatments that are covered by Medicare. That means it doesn't generally cover you for services such as dental, optical or physio. If you want to get cover for these services, you can take out extras (sometimes known as ancillary) cover.

If a health care provider offers OVHC, make sure it's 100% compliant with the comprehensive coverage required for the 870 visa. If a provider does offer OVHC, many can be upgraded to give you extras cover as well. This is a good idea for those on the 870 visa as older parents are more likely to require comprehensive health care.

Who is this visa for?

The 870 Sponsored Parent visa is a temporary visa that's primary function is to allow the parents and grandparents of migrants to come visit, stay and live in Australia for either 3 or 5 years.

It's set up for individuals who may find it difficult to return home to visit their parents. Especially for those just starting their careers in the country, it's often easier for parents to travel to Australia and spend time there. It's ideal for retired parents or those who can afford to take more time off work.

While some visas are only valid once, the 870 can be applied for again after another 5 years, which means you could spend up to 10 years living in Australia. However, parents must spend a short period of time outside of Australia before re-applying.

What are the visa requirements?

In order to meet the visa requirements, you must be biologically related or adopted. You can also be a step-parent or parent-in-law of the Parent Sponsor. It's essential your child is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen and is at least 18 years old.

You need to have an approved Parent Sponsor before you're able to lodge this visa application and it has to be lodged within six months of the Parent Sponsor approval. It must all be done online.

A 3-year visa costs $5,000 while a 5-year visa will cost $10,000. You aren't allowed to work on this visa at all in Australia.

The sponsor (child or grandchild) must also have a taxable income of $83,454.80 or more in order to be able to sponsor their parents for the 870 Sponsored Parent visa. This can include a joint family income, so you meet the requirements if you and your family have an income of $83,454.80 or more.

It's also necessary that you and your children have health cover. The 870 visa comes with a requirement 8501, which means your visa can't be approved unless you have health cover in place. To meet the 8501 conditions, your insurance has to be fully comprehensive, providing you with cover equivalent to or better than Medicare.

How does health insurance work in Australia?

Medicare is Australia's public health care system but is generally only open to Australian citizens and permanent residents. However, Medicare doesn't provide full cover so most Australians have some form of private health insurance.

Australia's health care system can be split into two categories: hospital and extras cover. While Medicare provides some hospital cover for citizens and residents, it doesn't pay for out-of-hospital services like dental, optical or physio. Even if you're eligible for Medicare, you'll probably want some form of extras cover.

Pricing is based on a single live in the State of New South Wales on a visa and is not from a country that Australia has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) with and is not eligible for cover under Medicare. Prices are accurate for 2020 but are subject to change.

Reciprocal Health Care Agreements

Depending on where you're from, you may be eligible for Medicare under Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA). This pays towards visitors cover for emergency medical costs and medical attention that cannot wait until you've returned home.

Australia has RHCA agreements with the UK, the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Italy, Belgium, Malta, the Republic of Ireland and New Zealand. If you're eligible for RHCA, then you don't need OVHC. However, RHCAs do not give you access to the same extras benefits as being covered privately.

More guides on Finder

  • Allianz Care Australia OSHC Review

    Read on to find out why international students need Overseas Student Health Cover, and what sets Allianz Care Australia OSHC apart from other similar insurance products.

  • 600 visa health insurance

    Get cover quickly and easily for your stay in Australia.

  • 190 Skilled Nominated Visa

    The 190 Visa gives you permanent residency and can lead to citizenship. Read our easy, step-by-step guide on how to apply and what health cover you will need to have in place.

  • 500 Visa Health Insurance

    Are you applying for your student 500 visa? You may need Overseas Student Health Cover.

  • Permanent residency health insurance

    Have you just got your permanent residency? See how you're covered for healthcare in Australia and compare your options today.

  • TSS 482 Visa Health Insurance

    If you’re applying for a TSS visa to work in Australia, we explain what’s changed from the old 457 visa and help you find Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC).

  • HBF overseas visitor cover review

    Compare OVHC options from HBF, and see which one is right for you.

  • Bridging visa health insurance

    If you’re in Australia on a bridging visa, it’s important that you choose a suitable level of private health insurance cover.

  • 489 Visa Health Insurance

    Compare health insurance policies that satisfy your entry requirements and find out how to get covered when travelling to Australia on a 489 visa.

  • Health insurance for NZ citizens living in Australia

    If you’re a New Zealander moving to Australia, find out here what cover you can enjoy under Australia’s healthcare system.

Save on your health insurance

Go to site