Dressing up the decor in your home? Let us introduce you to the brands making ethical style their mission.
When it comes to redecorating, you no longer have to sacrifice taste to lessen your impact on the Earth. As more people have started making conscious choices about where their purchases come from and their environmental impact, homeware companies have been listening. From recycling hard-to-break-down items to using raw materials, here are the labels that are making an impact without compromising on style.
By now you have probably heard rave reviews about Koala mattresses, but you might not know about all the great work the company does:
- The company deliberately only designs a few key pieces of furniture to encourage people to take stock of what they own and buy less.
- Outside of having classically styled fabric couches and Australia's highest rated mattress, the company is all about doing its part for the Earth. As the name would suggest, the company's a big fan of the furry Australian marsupials, which is why the brand is partnered with the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). Every time you purchase a mattress, Koala donates money to help protect threatened and endangered wildlife. You will also receive a koala adoption certificate with your mattress purchase, so you can feel great about where your money went.
- Best of all, Koala is currently partnered with Soft Landing to recycle old mattresses. Not only does this help to reduce landfills, but it also provides jobs and traineeships for those who have experienced barriers to gaining lasting employment.
Melbourne-based brand Ettitude is doing its part for the environment by creating bedding and sheets made from bamboo lyocell.
- The naturally derived, renewable material requires less than one-tenth of the water needed to grow cotton. The company also relies on a closed-loop system that recycles water to minimise waste.
- One of their bestselling products is the bamboo charcoal sheet set. As well as looking luxe, the combination of bamboo and charcoal powder makes for sheets that stay fresher longer, encouraging buyers to conserve water by washing them less. The silky smooth sheets are available in a range of colours including light grey, indigo, apricot and a white grid pattern, making them easy to style with any bedroom colour scheme.
- As well as creating products that are made from non-toxic materials, Ettitude is also passionate about their workers. The company guarantees a comfortable working environment and fair wages for all employees, so you can have peace of mind in supporting Ettitude.
Planet Furniture is an eco-chic brand that aspires to "make the world a more beautiful place".
- With a range of simple, sustainable pieces that are made to last, it isn't hard to find stylish pieces for your new decor. Using handcrafting and natural fibres, the brand is all about being responsible with the environment.
- As well as furniture, the range includes lighting, ceramics, textiles and tableware that make the best use of raw materials. The fine crafting of each item results in pieces with unique character that have the longest possible lifespan for minimal waste.
- In an attempt to have the biggest positive impact as possible, Planet Furniture also promises to provide a safe working space and fair pay for craftspeople.
Stocking homewares, kitchenware and accessories, Papaya uses raw materials to create contemporary designs.
- Dedicated to using sustainable, natural materials, the brand is definitely one worth taking a look at before you start redecorating.
- All of Papaya's homewares have simple, elegant designs made by experienced craftsmen.
- The store is filled with homeware, kitchenware and accessories boasting earthy, neutral vibes. The raw beauty of the products really shines through, giving your house a homey feel.
- The pieces are sourced from Morocco through to Europe, giving each piece a unique (and ethical) story behind it.
If your floor is looking a little bare, Armadillo & Co's range of rugs has you sorted.
- Seeing a gap in the market for simple, handmade, quality rugs, the founders built a company committed to ethical production.
- All of Armadillo & Co's rugs are handmade and use natural, recycled and sustainable fibres. They take their slogan, "Our rugs lie lightly on this earth" seriously, with 100% handmade products and a dedication to using Fair Trade practices.
- Best of all, the rug designs are modern and come in a huge range of styles from brightly patterned to neutral. As well as supporting the artisan community, you'll also be able to find the perfect design for underfoot in any room.
Despite being based in NSW, Pampa works with skilled artisans and craftsmen in remote and rural areas of Argentina to create fine-quality woven textiles.
- Each cushion, throw or rug is created with a traditional weaving loom and uses natural dyes and patterns inspired by nature in order to preserve Argentinian craft practices for future generations.
- All of Pampa's collections are named after where they were made and inspire a sense of place and tradition in each item.
- As well as beautiful homeware pieces, the label also creates hand-woven dolls and soy wax candles for a little individual flair in your decorating scheme.
- To top it all off, Pampa also deals directly with the artisan community, ensuring that they are fairly compensated for their stunning works.
From furniture to artwork, everything that Bandhini creates is a gorgeous addition to any room.
- The company's commitment to using natural fibres, eco-friendly dyes and handmade techniques is proof that sustainable wares can still be super stylish.
- Bandhini's range of throw cushions will sort both your bedroom and your lounge with a huge range of colours and patterns. But what makes these cushions special is what they're made of. Along with durable coverings, they are stuffed with GECA-certified material made from recycled drink bottles, making them 100% recyclable.
- Each cushion is also made with eco-safe dyes to stop environmental pollution.
- The brand also sells home textiles and handmade throws that will add to your home's aesthetic for ages to come, thanks to their long life and durability.
Main image: Instagram user papayahomewares