6 alternative romantic destinations to get some alone time
Skip the crowds and make the most of your next couples vacation with these alternative romantic spots.
Think picnicking under the Eiffel Tower with some fresh brie and a glass of bubbly sounds romantic? Well, tell that to the hundreds of other couples with the same idea bursting your intimate bubble.
Based on a recent study by Trafalgar Tours, trips where you enjoy whole new experiences have become more important than just seeing all the sights and ticking all the boxes.
If you want to be wooed without being surrounded by the loved-up masses, then check out our list of up and coming romantic destinations to suit every type of couple.
Instead of Venice, go to Verona
Enjoy Roman ruins and fine wine in a city fit for star-crossed lovers.
What could be more romantic than the city that inspired Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet? Besides visiting the iconic balcony where it all began, you can climb Lamberti's Tower for sweeping views, explore the ancient Roman Arena and people watch over a cappuccino in the expansive Piazza Bra.
- Best for: Food and wine, scenic sites, ruins
- Where is it? Located in northern Italy’s Veneto region
- Top 5 things to see/do: San Zeno, Torre dei Lamberti, Castelvecchio, Piazza delle Erbe, Juliet’s Balcony
- Recommended tour: Best of Romantic Lakes Tour – See Italy's beauty from the water while travelling through some of the most charming towns in the north such as Como and Bergamo
Instead of Bali, go to the Gili Islands
Experience serene sunsets, lazy beach days and good eats.
When all you want to do is relax and enjoy each other’s company, then you can’t go wrong with the Gili Islands. Go days without seeing anyone else or take your pick of adventure activities when you want to explore more of your tropical island surroundings.
- Best for: Beaches, relaxing, food
- Where is it? A trio of islands located off the north-western shore of Bali’s close neighbour, Lombok
- Top 5 things to see/do: Snorkel, take a surf lesson, sunrise or sunset hike on Gili Trawangan, cycle around the islands, get a massage
- Recommended tour: Snorkelling day trip – Stop at all three islets and have the opportunity to snorkel in the surrounding turquoise seas
Instead of Paris, visit Rovinj
Surrounded on three sides by the sparkling Adriatic with a web of steep cobbled streets, couples will be transported back in time in this relaxing destination.
Stroll hand-in-hand as you navigate the labyrinthine streets of the Old Town. Take a few minutes to stop in at Valdibora market to taste the local produce or visit the boutique galleries in Grisia, known as Rovinj’s version of Montmartre. Don’t forget to end the day along the beautiful seaside of Opatija with a romantic evening stroll.
- Best for: Relaxation, seaside architecture
- Where is it? Found in the north-west of Croatia along the Adriatic Sea
- Top 5 things to see/do: Take a batana ride, Punta Corrente forest park, La Grisia, St. Eufemija, Old Town
- Recommended tour: Best of Croatia and Slovenia – Take off on an off-the-beaten-track adventure as you explore pretty Adriatic seaside retreats, ancient capitals and natural icons
Instead of Phuket, go to Khao Lak
Enjoy peace and tranquillity in a remote, natural beach environment.
Just an hour’s drive from Phuket, you’ll really feel a whole world away in Khao Lak. Sleepy, sandy stretches of beaches can take up your days or explore one of the three national parks that surround the area. If you really want to get away from it all, then this is where you need to be.
- Best for: Beaches, nature
- Where is it? A series of villages in the province of Phang Nga, south-west Thailand
- Top 5 things to see/do: Similan Islands, Ton Chong Fa Waterfall, White Sand Beach, soak in the hot springs, kayak around Phang Nga Bay
- Recommended tour: Full-Day Temple Tour Including Dragon Cave – Visit three Thai temples around Khao Lak as you learn about the religious and historic significance during guided tours
Instead of Hawaii, try Lake Bled
A picture-postcard lake, a church on an islet, a medieval castle perched atop a rocky cliff – they're all of the ingredients you need for a romantic getaway.
Slovenia’s stunning natural landscapes are a huge draw for nature lovers and Lake Bled certainly creates a playground for couples who want to get out and explore. Take a boat trip to Bled Island or head up to Mt. Vogel via cable car for captivating views. Make sure you climb up to the 17th-century Baroque Church, previously the site of a temple dedicated to the Žlavic goddess of love.
- Best for: Nature, history, scenic sites
- Where is it? A lake in the Julian Alps in north-western Slovenia
- Top 5 things to see/do: Row to The Church of the Assumption, Bled Castle, wine tasting, eat some Cremeschnitte, walk or cycle around the lake
- Recommended tour: Interactive Wine Tasting Experience – Enjoy a fun wine tasting evening where you’ll learn all about wine from different regions of Slovenia
Instead of Barcelona, head to Seville
Discover an underrated Spanish destination known for its fiery flamenco and flamboyant nightlife.
The sizzling Spanish city of Seville is famous for all things flamboyant including flamenco and extravagant Easter processions. Romance comes alive with the scent of orange blossoms in the air as you ride feisty Andalusian horses and see the largest Gothic Cathedral in the world.
- Best for: Culture, food, nightlife
- Where is it? A southern Spain province in the western part of Andalusia
- Top 5 things to see/do: Seville Cathedral, La Giralda, Real Alcazar, see a flamenco show, sample some tapas
- Recommended tour: Seville Night Tour with Tablao Flamenco Show – Witness the beauty of Seville by night as you travel through the Illuminated city streets. End the night with an electrifying flamenco show and some wine and tapas
- NSW Dine and Discover vouchers extended: Best ways to use yours now
- The 5 best Flight Centre EOFY travel deals
- Virgin Australia announces free flights competition for vaccinated Aussies
- 5 ways to maximise your $200 Luxury Escapes COVID-19 vouchers
- Sydney Solstice Festival 2021: 10 unmissable things to do