medical practitioner

422 Visa travel insurance

Coming to Australia on a 422 visa? Find travel insurance to cover you while you're in Australia.

If you’re a doctor and you want to live in Australia, you can do so for up to four years with the 422 visa. The Medical Practitioner (subclass 422) visa is a temporary visa that permits medical practitioners to work in Australia if they are sponsored by a willing employer.

This visa is closed to new applications, so skilled workers looking for a temporary visa that allows them to work in Australia may wish to apply for the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457).

Who’s eligible for a 422 visa?

The 422 visa is not open to new applications, so you’ll need to check whether you’re eligible to apply for the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) instead. The 457 visa is designed for skilled workers who want to travel to Australia to work in a nominated occupation for a sponsoring employer. The visa is available for periods of up to four years. In order to qualify for a 457 visa, you will need to:

  • Be nominated by an approved sponsor to work in an approved occupation on the Skilled Occupation Lists. These lists are available from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection and include occupations such as:
  • General practitioners
  • Dentists
  • Paediatricians
  • Psychiatrists
  • Meet the skill requirements for your nominated occupation
  • Meet specific registration and licensing requirements for your occupation
  • Be able to speak vocational English

How to apply

Follow these steps if you wish to apply for a 457 visa to enter Australia:

  1. Receive sponsorship from an approved business to travel to Australia and work in a nominated occupation.
  2. Prepare the necessary documents to prove any claims you will make in your visa application. This may include:
    • 457 Skills Assessment
    • VETASSESS Skills Assessment for General Professional Occupations
    • Professional and educational qualification certificates and registration
    • Licensing or professional membership
    • References from previous employers
    • Your CV
    • Evidence of English proficiency
  3. Create an ImmiAccount on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.
  4. Lodge your application online. You can apply for this visa online at eVisa application 1066 Employer sponsored workers (e457). You will need to upload your supporting documents at this time and pay the relevant visa application fee.
  5. Track the status of your 457 visa application through your ImmiAccount.

FAQ for 422 visa holders


The Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) is in place with selected foreign governments around the world. Under these agreements, visitors to Australia from those countries are able to access subsidised health care as part of Medicare. There is currently an RHCA in place between Australia and the following countries:

  • New Zealand
  • The United Kingdom
  • The Republic of Ireland
  • Belgium
  • Italy
  • Malta
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Finland
  • Slovenia

Medicare for people on Visas

Visitors to Australia on a 422 or 457 visa from the countries listed above are able to receive cover from Medicare under their respective agreements. All other visa holders will not be able to access Medicare and must take out adequate private health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia. This cover can either be taken out through an insurer in your home country or through an Australian insurance provider. As the 422 visa is closed to applications, make sure you check the eligibility requirements and features of the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) to decide whether or not it is the right visa for your visit to Australia.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site