Overhead shot of students studying

411 visa: Travel insurance for non-residents on an exchange visa

Are you in Australia on an exchange visa? Find cover for 411 visa holders.

If you’re not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand, you’ll need to obtain a visa if you want to visit Australia. The Exchange (subclass 411) visa aims to strengthen Australia’s relationship with other countries. It’s available to skilled workers who would like to come to Australia to expand their skills and gain important work experience.

The 411 visa is closed to new applications as of 24 November 2012. Check out travel insurance for non-residents.

Who’s eligible for a 411 Visa?

The 411 visa allows nominated people to travel to Australia and stay temporarily for work purposes. This visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to two years and build your work experience and skills. You can also bring your family along to work and study in Australia. However, the 411 visa has been closed to new applicants since 2012, so people who would previously have applied for this visa should instead check whether they are eligible to apply for a Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa (subclass 401). The 401 visa is available to foreign residents who want to come to Australia:

  • Under a staff exchange arrangement to work in a skilled position (the exchange stream)
  • To take part in high-level sporting competitions (the sport stream)
  • To perform religious work on a full-time basis (the religious stream)
  • To perform full-time domestic duties in the home of a senior foreign executive, also known as the domestic worker (executive) stream

To qualify for the 401 visa you will need to:

  • Be sponsored and nominated to work in Australia by an approved sponsor
  • Have adequate financial capacity to support yourself and your family while in Australia
  • Have adequate health insurance in place for the entire duration of your stay in Australia
  • Satisfy health and character requirements
  • Meet requirements that apply to your particular visa stream
  • Intend to remain temporarily in Australia to perform the work or participate in the activity specified in your application

How to apply

As you can no longer apply for a 411 visa, you’ll need to determine whether or not the Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa (subclass 401) is right for you. If you’re eligible for the 401 visa and would like to apply, follow the steps below:

  1. Sponsorship and nomination. Before you can apply, the organisation that intends to sponsor you must have applied to become a long stay activity sponsor, exchange sponsor, sport sponsor or religious worker sponsor, and have nominated you and the position you intend to fill while in Australia.
  2. Check your passports. Make sure that you and all family members that will accompany you to Australia have valid passports.
  3. Fill out form 1401 Application for a Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa. You’ll need to select one of the following visa streams: exchange, sport, religious worker or domestic worker (executive).
  4. Check to see if you need to pay a visa application charge. If you do, pay the necessary fee.
  5. Lodge your application along with payment and any supporting documents. Paper-based visa applications in certain countries may require you to provide biometrics.

FAQ for 411 visas

Q. Is the 411 visa open to new applications?

  • No. The 411 visa has been closed to new applications since November 2012.

Q. Does a 411 visa allow me to enter and leave Australia?

  • Yes. You are able to enter and leave Australia as many times as you would like while your visa is valid.

Q. How long will my 411 visa last?

  • The visa lasts for the period of your nominated position, usually up to a maximum duration of two years.

Q. Does the 401 visa allow me to bring family members to Australia?

  • Yes. Eligible family members are allowed to accompany you to Australia under this visa.

Q. What happens if a sponsor ceases my employment under a 401 visa?

  • You will need to either find a new employer who is willing to sponsor you or leave Australia within 28 days (or sooner if your visa expires before the end of this 28-day period).

Q. How can I work out the cost that will apply to my 401 visa application?

  • You can use the cost estimator tool available on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.


A Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) is an agreement between the Australian Government and the government of a foreign country. Under this agreement, visitors to Australia from selected countries are eligible to access subsidised health care and medicines under Medicare, Australia’s national health care system. The Australian Government has an established RHCA with the following countries:

  • New Zealand
  • The United Kingdom
  • The Republic of Ireland
  • Sweden
  • The Netherlands
  • Finland
  • Italy
  • Belgium
  • Malta
  • Slovenia
  • Norway

Medicare for people on visas

Visa holders from countries that are part of the RCHA have access to Medicare. All other visa holders will not be eligible to receive any Medicare cover. As a result, all 401 visa holders should have adequate private medical and hospital health insurance for the entire duration of their stay in Australia. Cover can be taken out through an insurer in your home country or in Australia. You’ll need to provide evidence of your health insurance policy and the level of cover provided when you apply for a 401 visa. As the 411 visa is no longer available, you’ll need to check the eligibility requirements of the Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa (subclass 401) to determine whether it’s suitable for you. If it is, make sure you satisfy all the relevant visa requirements before beginning the application process.
Picture: Shutterstock

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site