Sydney airport check in

405 and 410 visa travel insurance

Coming to Australia on a 405 or 410 visa? What you should know.

If you’re over the age of 55 and thinking of moving to Australia to retire, the land down under certainly has plenty to offer. From its beautiful beaches and warm climate to its laid back lifestyle, Australia is a wonderful place to live out your golden years.

However, if you want to retire in Australia, you’ll need a retirement visa. There are two visas to choose from: the Investor Retirement (subclass 405) visa and the Retirement (subclass 410) visa. You’ll have to satisfy a range of criteria to qualify for either one.

Who offers cover for non-residents?

Brands Product Product Details Apply
1Cover Visitors to Australia

Unlimited medical expenses

Travellers who are not an Australian resident

Travellers who are visiting Australia on a temporary basis

Purchase of the policy within 14 days of your arrival in Australia

Travellers who are 16 to 74 years old

Get quoteMore info
Easy Travel Insurance Inbound Travel Insurance

$20,000 Cancellation or holiday deferment costs

$20,000 Emergency travel arrangements and accommodation expenses

$200,000 Medical evacuation and repatriation

Get quoteMore info
CoverMore Inbound

$10 million overseas medical and dental

$10 million additional expenses

$3,000 luggage and travel documents

$1 million personal liability

Get quoteMore info
Provider405 or 410 travel insurance conditionsApply
If you're in Australia on a 405 or 410 visa you can get cover if:

  • You are not an Australian resident
  • You are visiting Australia on a temporary basis
  • You have bought cover 14 days before your arrival in Australia
Get quote
Budget Direct Travel InsuranceBudget Direct Travel Insurance for 405 or 410 visa holders if you have:

  • Valid Medicare Card
  • A private health fund
  • Overseas student travel insurance
Get quote
DownunderCover is only available if:

  • You are a not a resident of Australia
  • You purchase your policy before you commence your journey
  • Your Journey consists of one-way travel only to your Country of residence from Australia
Get quote
Easy Travel InsuranceIf you're in Australia on a 405 or 410 visa, the Easy Travel Insurance domestic policy is available if you're under 70 years of age and the Cancellation And Additional Expenses policy is available regardless of your ageGet quote
Go InsuranceGo insurance policies are available if you:

  • For at least three months been a resident in Australia and are able to prove it
Get quote
InsureandGoInsureandGo offer travel insurance if you're on a 405 or 410 visa, a sponsorship visa or a student visa providing that you have:

  • Valid Medicare Card
  • A private health fund
  • Overseas student travel insurance
Get quote
Southern CrossIf you're applying for 405 or 410 visa travel insurance, you must be:

  • Your visa is valid past the end date of your intended travel
  • On a visa or permit that allows you access to all publicly funded health and disability services
Get quote
Tick Travel InsuranceTick Travel Insurance provides cover for non-residents providing that you have:

  • Valid Medicare Card
  • A private health fund
  • Overseas student travel insurance
Get quote
travel insurance saver logoIf you're in Australia on a 405 or 410 visa, the Travel Insurance Saver domestic policy is available if you're under 70 years of age and the cancellation And Additional Expenses policy is available regardless of your ageGet quote
Travel InsuranzYou can get cover as long as you been living in Australia for three monthsGet quote
worldcare travel insurance logoIf you're on a 405 or 410 visa you can take out the WorldCare comprehensive policy providing:

  • You buy your policy in Australia
  • You purchase the policy before you start your journey
  • Your trip begins and ends in Australia
Get quote

Applying for inbound travel insurance

You can normally get cover both before and after landing in Australia. However, many insurers will impose a waiting period for medical claims if you take out cover more than a week after arriving in Australia.

Travel insurance for non-residents can be purchased for people coming to Australia for a holiday or on business. Policies are generally available no matter country you're visiting from or where you're planning to visit once you're in Australia. However, there are conditions when applying for cover including:

  • Age limits. Many inbound travel insurance policies are only available to non-residents under 70 years of age.
  • Trip duration. Most policies can be purchased to cover a trip of up to 12 months.
  • When the policy can be bought. Many policies can be bought up to 12 months in advance of your trip.
  • Where you're going. All inbound policies must be to Australia and almost all do not cover your return trip to your home country.

What does an inbound travel insurance policy normally cover?

While conditions vary between travel insurance brands, generally you can expect to be covered for:

  • Accidental death. If you suffer an injury that results in your death, your estate will receive a benefit if your death occurs within one year of the incident.
  • Additional expenses. This normally covers you for additional accommodation or transport expenses you incur as the result of an unforeseen incident such as a natural disaster, medical emergency or a relative becoming ill or dying.
  • Amendments or cancellation costs. This benefit covers you if you have to rearrange your journey prior to leaving home due to an unforeseen event that results in you being unable to make prearranged events such as a pre-booked tour. It may also cover you for the loss of frequent flyer miles.
  • Delayed luggage allowance. If your bags are delayed for more than a certain amount of time outlined in your policy, you'll receive a benefit to help you purchase essential emergency items of clothing and toiletries.
  • Hijacking. Some policies offer cover for hijacking and pay a benefit if you're detained on public transport due to it being hijacked.
  • Hospital incidentals. If you're hospitalised, this benefit covers you for incidentals such as phone calls and magazines. The benefit is paid daily and is normally somewhere between $20 and $50 per day.
  • Luggage and travel documents. You're cover if your bags are lost, stolen or damaged during your journey.
  • Medical and dental expenses. If you become sick, contact a disease or suffer a disabling injury you'll be covered for the cost of ambulatory transport, emergency dental and medical treatment in Australia provided you are a non-Australian resident and are not covered under the Health Insurance Act.
  • Overseas medical and dental. If during you suffer an injury, become sick or contract a disease, this provision will cover you for the cost of ambulance travel, emergency dental and medical treatment that is provided outside Australia.
  • Personal liability. This benefit protects you if due to your negligence you become legally liable to pay compensation for the injury or death of someone or cause damage to someone's property.

About the 405 and 410 visa: Who's eligible?

You’ll need to tick a range of boxes if you want to obtain a 405 or 410 visa to retire in Australia. The Investor Retirement (subclass 405) visa is available to applicants over 55 years of age who have been sponsored by an authorised Australian state or territory government agency. This is a temporary visa and requires you to make a significant long-term financial investment in Australia.

If you plan on living in a regional or low-growth area, you’ll need to invest a minimum of $500,000 in the state or territory in which you’ll be sponsored. If you want to live in a metro area, the minimum investment rises to $750,000. You will also need to have assets valued at a minimum of $750,000 (if you want to live in a city) or $500,000 (if you want to live in a regional area).

Other requirements include:

  • A pension or other net income stream that provides a minimum of $50,000 per year (regional) or $65,000 per year (metro)
  • No plans to work full-time once you have moved to Australia
  • Adequate health insurance

The 405 visa is available for a period of four years. Once it expires, you can then apply for a Retirement (subclass 410) visa. To qualify for the 410 visa:

  • You must be the current holder of a Retirement visa
  • The last visa you held must have been a Retirement visa
  • You must be the partner of someone from one of the first two dot points
  • You must be 55 or older
  • You must have no dependent children
  • You must be of good character

The 410 Retirement visa allows a 10-year period of stay in Australia.

How to apply

405 visa

  1. Contact a government agency that sponsors retirees. Fill out Part A of Form 1249 (State/territory sponsorship: Investor Retirement visa) and send it to your sponsor, who will then complete Part B of the form.
    You’ll also need to contact the treasury corporation in your chosen state or territory to request an investment application form.
  2. Complete Form 1383 (Application for a temporary visa for retirees). You’ll need to provide your personal details, family details, visa information and two recent passport-sized photographs of each person in your application.
  3. Lodge your visa application and sponsorship forms with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. You’ll need to pay a cover charge and submit documentation providing evidence of your assets, access to an income stream and health insurance.
  4. Your application will be assessed and the Department of Immigration and Border Protection will request that you complete health and character checks.
  5. You will be advised in writing to lodge your investment with the relevant state or territory treasury corporation. You will also receive Form 1031 (Declaration). Complete Part B of this form and send it to the treasury corporation.

410 visa

  1. Complete Form 1383 (Application for a temporary visa for retirees). You’ll need to provide your personal details, family details, visa information and two recent passport-sized photographs of each person in your application.
  2. Lodge your visa application with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

What if I already hold an Investor Retirement visa and want a further Investor Retirement visa in Australia?

It’s possible to apply for another Investor Retirement (subclass 410) visa if you meet the following criteria:

  • You are sponsored by a state or territory government
  • You have no dependents (other than a partner)
  • You are married or in a de facto relationship
  • You have a minimum net income stream of $50,000 (if you live in a regional or low-growth area) or $65,000 (if you don’t plan on living in a regional or low-growth area)
  • If you live in a regional or low-growth area and you are able to make a minimum investment of $250,000 in the state or territory in which you have been sponsored. This minimum limit rises to $500,000 if you don’t want to live in a regional area.
  • You can provide evidence that you and your partner have adequate health insurance in place and have done so for the entire duration of your stay in Australia

You must have no plans to work full-time while in Australia, and you must be of good health and character.

FAQ for 405 and 410 visa holders

Q. What constitutes full-time work?

  • Investor Retirement visa holders are not allowed to work more than 40 hours a fortnight during their stay in Australia.

Q. How do I know which areas of Australia are classified as being regional or low-growth?

  • These details can be found on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website:

Q. Can I lodge my visa application from overseas?

  • Yes, but you’ll also need to be overseas when the outcome of your application is decided.

Q. What happens after I lodge my application for a 405 or 410 visa?

  • The Department of Immigration and Border Protection will provide written notification as to the acceptance or rejection of your application. If your application is rejected, a reason will be provided and you’ll also receive information regarding possible further courses of action.

Q. How can I pay the charge associated with my visa application?

  • This can be paid via credit card, debit card, money order or bank cheque.

What is the RHCA?

RHCA stands for Reciprocal Health Care Agreement. Under such an agreement, visitors to Australia from certain countries gain access to subsidised health care services and medicines while in Australia. The Australian Government has agreements in place with the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Belgium and Slovenia.

However, in the overwhelming majority of cases, 405 and 410 visa holders are not eligible for cover under any Reciprocal Health Care Agreement. As the RHCA only applies to people who are residents of a foreign country and only temporarily in Australia (not ordinarily resident in Australia), most 405 and 410 visa holders do not receive cover under the RHCA.

As a result, an adequate level of health insurance is a mandatory requirement for all holders of 405 and 410 visas.

Medicare for visa holders

Medicare is Australia’s national health care system and allows Australians to access a range of health services at zero or reduced cost. As a general rule, Investor Retirement and Retirement visa holders are not eligible to receive Medicare benefits.

With this in mind, the importance of taking out adequate health insurance coverage when you retire in Australia becomes very clear. Cover can be arranged in your country of origin or through an Australian insurer, but you need to make sure you have enough cover in place to provide the financial safety net you need.

Retiring in Australia is a very enticing prospect for many overseas residents, but it’s vital that you’re aware of all the 405 or 410 visa requirements you must satisfy before you start making plans. This is the best way to ensure that you can live out your golden years down under in comfort.

Image: Shutterstock

Richard Laycock

Richard is the Insurance Editor at finder, and has been wrangling insurance Product Disclosure Statements for the last 4 years. When he’s not helping Aussies make sense of the fine print, he can be found testing the quality of Aperol Spritzes in his new found home of New York. Richard studied Journalism at Macquarie University and The Missouri School of Journalism, and has a Tier 1 certification in General Advice for Life Insurance. He has also been published in CSO Australia and Dynamic Business.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, read the PDS or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

6 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    MikeOctober 30, 2016

    I am looking for health insurance that will provide adequate (or more than adequate) cover for holders of a retirement class 405 visa. I cannot find such coverage on the sites of nlb and HCF, and the OHC article does not mention 405 holders.

    Many insurers offer cover for 457 visa holders — is this adequate also for 405 visa holders?

    • Staff
      RichardOctober 31, 2016Staff

      Hi Mike,

      Thanks for getting in touch. is a comparison service. HIF do provide this type of cover.

      All the best,

  2. Default Gravatar
    DerickJuly 4, 2016

    Can you please confirm what company offers health cover for 410 visa holders

    • Staff
      RichardJuly 5, 2016Staff

      Hi Derick,

      Thanks for your question. Three of the funds in our panel offer Overseas Health Cover: Australian Unity, HCF and nib. For more information, please consult our Overseas Health Cover article.

      I hope this was helpful,

  3. Default Gravatar
    FredMay 10, 2016


    you mention in the above 3 rd Paragraph that a 405 Visa holder can at the time this visa expires apply for a 410 Visa.

    Can you please confirm if this is correct as I cannot find on relevant Government websites any reference to this policy.

    Thank you.

    Kind regards.


    • Staff
      RichardMay 10, 2016Staff

      Hi Fred,

      Thanks for your question. According to
      “If your application is approved, you will be granted a visa that will allow you to travel in and out of Australia for 4 years. Before your visa expires you may apply for a further visa, however, you must again satisfy the criteria for a visa grant.”

      I hope this was helpful,

Ask a question
Go to site