Yup, it’s here: the year of 21st birthdays. Which means, on top of having to buy a new outfit for every party, you have to find a thoughtful and memorable present for each, too.
You and everyone around you is turning 21. Makes you feel a little old that you're no longer in your twen-teens, eh? Look on the bight side: you have a friend who’s turning 21 and he or she is celebrating the milestone with YOU! That’s pretty big.
The way we see it, there are three things you need to do to thank them for their friendship and celebrate this milestone.
1) Clear your calendar and RSVP with a ‘Yes’ (via Facebook event, naturally),
2) Pick out an outfit and buy a present for them and;
3) Attend the party.
One and three are easy enough, but what about two? That’s where finder.com.au can help. We’ve got all the advice, gift ideas, and coupon codes to make sure all three steps are equally as easy to complete. Here are 21 of the best birthday gifts to give (and receive - hint hint!)
Top 5 deals today
$50 off + 2 FREE games with Xbox One S 500GB consoles: 12 Days of Deals
Get $50 off plus 2 free games with Xbox One S 500GB consoles. Conditions apply.
Show code & visit siteCO****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Spend $100 on sale items to get 20% off
Get 20% off when you spend $100 on sale items at SurfStitch. Conditions Apply
FREE standard delivery: Today only
Receive free standard delivery on your orders at David Jones. Valid for today only. T&Cs apply.
25% off everything
Save 25% on everything at Boohoo, while stocks last.
Show code & visit siteYA****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
40% off exclusives
THE ICONIC is offering a huge 40% off exclusives. Ends 12.12.16, limited by stock levels.
Show code & visit siteDE****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Show code & visit siteFL****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
25% off all orders
Get 25% off all your orders with the code at Pretty Little Thing. Conditions Apply
Show code & visit siteFI****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Unbeatable big brand under $89 case (6)
Save big on wines at Dan Murphy's. Including Pepperjack Varieties, Blass Reserve Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon and Penfolds Max's Varieties or Penfolds Bin 2 Shiraz Mataro and more.
Unbeatable offer from $9.40 (case 6)
Save big on great wines at Dan Murphy's. Including Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc $9.40 (case 6), Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whisky 700ml $39 each, Chandon Brut $16.95 (case 6) and more.
15% off selected products
Catch of the Day is offering a huge 15% off in the Christmas shopping cart for a limited time only.
Top 21st birthday gifts
Inexpensive and cheap 21st birthday gifts
How to choose the best 21st birthday gift
21 is a huge milestone and should not be treated like any other birthday. You may notice that friends who usually like to keep their birthdays quiet, will actually make an effort to celebrate this year. That’s how imported it is.
Now, if you’ve been invited to a 21st birthday party, it’s likely to be one big bash with family, friends, and even a specific venue booked for the evening. Don’t allow your gift to fall short. Even if you’re pressed for cash or time, you can still get a thoughtful token that your friend will cherish.
- Questions to ask yourself:To start on your birthday present buying adventures, you’ll need to ask yourself what you know about your friend. What are their interests? Think about what you two enjoy doing together, the memories you’ve shared, and the embarrassing moments, too. You know, the dirt. A 21st birthday party is nothing if it doesn’t celebrate the highs and lows, the talents and the (lovable) faults, of the one celebrating their birthday.
- Don’t worry about price, worry about thoughtfulness:The best gift is one that reflects your friendship and knowledge with the person who’s turning 21. Even a cheaper, gag gift can go a long way if it has some thought or sentimental value attached to it. Also, think about the kind of person he or she is. They might prefer something a little more decadent, or they might be the kind of person who doesn’t like physical gifts, but prefers experiences. This could mean the difference between buying them a glass votive, or buying them a SCUBA diving adventure. Two gifts you do not want to give to the wrong people. There’s nothing worse than getting a gift you’d never buy or use in your life by someone you consider to have a long standing friendship with. Who are you? And what did you do with my friend???
- You don’t have to cheap out if you’re on a budget:If you’re on a budget (what uni student isn’t?) the best way to get a gift that’s worthy of a 21st is by buying a group gift. Ask mutual friends who are attending the party if they’d like to chip in to buy something and see how many people you can get. In theory, the more people who opt in, the bigger and better the present you’ll be able to buy.If you’re not that close with the birthday boy or girl, this is a great way to skip the gifting decisions altogether as you can ask the person in the group who knows them best, to choose something they believe to be appropriate.
- Whatever you do…Remember, even if the invite says “no presents required”, you really should get him or her something. Even if it’s small. The best gifts are the thoughtful ones, so spare some time to consider your friend and your friendship before you start shopping.
Current deals and offers
Click and collect within 2 hours
Order online and pick up your order in as little as 2 hours from your local Dan Murphy's
Free Overnight Shipping over AUD $50
Get free shipping when you spend over $50 at The Iconic.
Top retailers to shop at for 21st birthday gifts
Back to top