Yup, it’s here: the year of 21st birthdays. Which means, on top of having to buy a new outfit for every party, you have to find a thoughtful and memorable present for each, too.
You and everyone around you is turning 21. Makes you feel a little old that you're no longer in your twenty, eh? Look on the bight side: you have a friend who’s turning 21 and he or she is celebrating the milestone with YOU! That’s pretty big.
The way we see it, there are three things you need to do to thank them for their friendship and celebrate this milestone.
1) Clear your calendar and RSVP with a ‘Yes’ (via Facebook event, naturally),
2) Pick out an outfit and buy a present for them and;
3) Attend the party.
One and three are easy enough, but what about two? That’s where finder.com.au can help. We’ve got all the advice, gift ideas, and coupon codes to make sure all three steps are equally as easy to complete. Here are 21 of the best birthday gifts to give (and receive - hint hint!)
Top 5 deals today
Show code & visit siteYE****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Show code & visit siteVS****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Show code & visit siteC5****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Show code & visit siteFI****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Show code & visit siteAA****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Top 21st birthday gifts
Inexpensive and cheap 21st birthday gifts
How to choose the best 21st birthday gift
21 is a huge milestone and should not be treated like any other birthday. You may notice that friends who usually like to keep their birthdays quiet, will actually make an effort to celebrate this year. That’s how imported it is.
Now, if you’ve been invited to a 21st birthday party, it’s likely to be one big bash with family, friends, and even a specific venue booked for the evening. Don’t allow your gift to fall short. Even if you’re pressed for cash or time, you can still get a thoughtful token that your friend will cherish.
- Questions to ask yourself:To start on your birthday present buying adventures, you’ll need to ask yourself what you know about your friend. What are their interests? Think about what you two enjoy doing together, the memories you’ve shared, and the embarrassing moments, too. You know, the dirt. A 21st birthday party is nothing if it doesn’t celebrate the highs and lows, the talents and the (lovable) faults, of the one celebrating their birthday.
- Don’t worry about price, worry about thoughtfulness:The best gift is one that reflects your friendship and knowledge with the person who’s turning 21. Even a cheaper, gag gift can go a long way if it has some thought or sentimental value attached to it. Also, think about the kind of person he or she is. They might prefer something a little more decadent, or they might be the kind of person who doesn’t like physical gifts, but prefers experiences. This could mean the difference between buying them a glass votive, or buying them a SCUBA diving adventure. Two gifts you do not want to give to the wrong people. There’s nothing worse than getting a gift you’d never buy or use in your life by someone you consider to have a long standing friendship with. Who are you? And what did you do with my friend???
- You don’t have to cheap out if you’re on a budget:If you’re on a budget (what uni student isn’t?) the best way to get a gift that’s worthy of a 21st is by buying a group gift. Ask mutual friends who are attending the party if they’d like to chip in to buy something and see how many people you can get. In theory, the more people who opt in, the bigger and better the present you’ll be able to buy.If you’re not that close with the birthday boy or girl, this is a great way to skip the gifting decisions altogether as you can ask the person in the group who knows them best, to choose something they believe to be appropriate.
- Whatever you do…Remember, even if the invite says “no presents required”, you really should get him or her something. Even if it’s small. The best gifts are the thoughtful ones, so spare some time to consider your friend and your friendship before you start shopping.
Current deals and offers
Click and collect within 2 hours
Order online and pick up your order in as little as 2 hours from your local Dan Murphy's
Top retailers to shop at for 21st birthday gifts
Back to top