More 2022 Lexus ES details emerge: Cheaper model joins range
When the updated Lexus ES arrives in Australia, it will launch with a new entry-level trim: the ES 250
Lexus released more details about the updated ES mid-size luxury sedan, which lands here in August.
What's new on the Lexus ES 250?
In addition to the facelift changes, the ES 250 has a new grade that serves as the range-opener.
It boasts the following:
- A new 2.5-litre, naturally-aspirated, four-cylinder petrol engine. The powertrain delivers 152kW and 243Nm. The hybrid 300h has more power though, with 160kW combined.
- An eight-speed automatic gearbox. Lexus engineers selected a short first gear to get the car rolling quicker and with more urgency.
- A 60kg reduction in weight. Ditching the hybrid system of the ES 300h saves a hefty 60 kilos! A Lexus spokesperson extolled how the reduction in mass meant the ES 250 possesses optimal ride dynamics.
- A 12.3-inch infotainment screen. Lexus states this is the first time a touchscreen has been fitted to the ES. It's been moved 100mm closer to the passengers, no doubt to aid operation.
- SOS calling (another first for the ES). Other driver assists, now standard, are automated collision notifications (where the ES will phone the Lexus Emergency Call Centre in the event of an accident) and stolen vehicle tracking.
- An enhanced Lexus Safety System. The ES range features an upgraded camera and radar for increased performance. The tech now senses approaching vehicles when making right turns at junctions. Daytime cyclist detection is also incorporated as is daytime and low-light pedestrian detection. Engineers also improved the lane tracing assist function, which is assisted by AI algorithms.
- Emergency steering assist. This system ramps up the steering torque during an emergency. Apparently, this system improves the stability of the ES 250 and mitigates the car leaving its lane.
- Crisp headlamps for F Sport ES 250s. Lexus has deployed its BladeScan adaptive high beams. This set-up bounces the light of the LEDs onto a rotating mirror. Such an approach enables more sensitive protection for oncoming drivers against dazzlement. Additionally, it also increases road visibility.
- New paint colours. There are two new exterior paint finishes for the ES 250, Sonic Iridium and Sonic Chrome. Base model ES 250 Luxury buyers have the option of a hazel-coloured interior, borrowed from the ES's larger sibling, the LS.
What trim grades can I buy the ES 250 in?
There are four trims:
- Lexus ES 250 Luxury
- Lexus ES 250 Luxury (with Enhancement Pack)
- Lexus ES 250 F Sport
- Lexus ES 250 F Sport (with Enhancement Pack)
How much will the 2022 Lexus ES cost?
Lexus has yet to announce final drive-away pricing for the updated 2022 range. For reference, the current generation ES 300h starts from $70,453 drive-away. Lexus indicates we'll see the 2022 ES range arrive at dealers in August.
What could I buy instead of the Lexus ES?
If you can't wait until August to buy a new luxury sedan, the BMW 5 Series, the Audi A6 (or A4), the Mercedes-Benz E-Class (or C-Class), Volvo's S60, the Infiniti Q50, the Alfa Romeo Giulia or the Maserati Ghibli are all viable alternatives.
If you're buying a new car, don't miss out! We lovingly create comprehensive, time-saving car reviews. For those who already know what they are after, it is worth comparing car loan options as well as car insurance to maximise your savings!