2022 Isuzu D-Max: Everything that’s new
Isuzu has updated the D-Max ute for 2022. It's got new tech, trims and engines.
Just like Ford with the 2022 Ranger, Isuzu has been reading its customers' wishlists and upgrading the D-Max in answer. This is every change made to the 2022 Isuzu D-Max.
2022 Isuzu D-Max: What's new?
Standard spec updates
To make the 2022 Isuzu D-Max even more tempting, Isuzu has bolstered the standard equipment and specs with the following:
- A 50kg increase in the gross combination mass (GCM) to 6,000kg. This could allow for extra towing capacity (on 4x4 models).
- A lane support system switch. Using a steering wheel-mounted switch, the driver can disable or enable lane keep assist (LKA), lane departure warning (LDW), lane departure prevention (LDP) and emergency lane keeping (ELK).
- A factory tow bar receiver (LS-U, LS-U+ and X-TERRAIN D-Max models). As almost 50% of D-Max owners told Isuzu they tow trailers, Isuzu responded by fitting a factory tow bar on these utes across the board. When ordering your D-Max, you can optionally specify whether you want an Anderson style plug, a 7 or 12-pin connector and a 50mm tow ball hitch tongue from the Isuzu Genuine Accessories list.
- A factory tub liner (LS-U and LS-U+). These 2 D-Max models get a tough, UV stable bed liner that's shaped to fit neatly in the rear tray.
- Parking sensors (LS-M crew-cab ute). This model has grown rear parking sensors, which integrate with the rear cross-traffic alert system and reversing camera.
- Convenience enhancements (LS-U crew-cab, LS-U space-cab utes, LS-U crew-cab chassis). These D-Max models all now have smart keyless entry, push-button ignition and the humorous acronym, Walk Away Door Locking (WADL). As you wander away from the D-Max, it'll detect that and secure the doors.
- D-Max X-TERRAIN changes. The top-flight X-TERRAIN now inherits adjustable heated front seats, heated wing mirrors, twin vanity mirror lights and a light-sensitive rear-view mirror from the LS-U+. Other tweaks include red stitching on the black leather steering wheel and seat upholstery/trim panels, a darkened instrument gauge (featuring an X-TERRAIN emblem) and black accents on the steering wheel, centre console, doors and air vents.
All-new trim grade introduced
Slotting neatly between the premium LS-U D-Max and the top of the range X-Terrain model is a new trim grade called LS-U+.
It's based on the LS-U but comes with extra goodies like premium leather-accentuated upholstery and interior trim pieces (in black), adjustable heated front seats, an 8-way power-adjustable driver's seat (including electric lumbar support), twin vanity mirror lights, heated wing mirrors, a factory-installed tow bar receiver and a tub liner (like the LS-U it's built upon). The LS-U+ also has intelligent keyless entry and push-button ignition (a carryover from the LS-U). It's shod with 19-inch, 2-tone machined alloy wheels.
This model also has an auto-dimming rear-view mirror (borrowed from the LS-U). Impressively, it has the potential capacity to tow 50kg more, thanks to a gross combination mass of 6,000kg.
New engine option
Not so long ago, most ute manufacturers offered an entry-level ute, with a smaller capacity engine.
Isuzu has brought that back, with a new-for-Australia 1.9-litre turbocharged diesel that's mated to either a 6-speed manual or an automatic cog swapper. The RZ4E-TC engine is used in the UK market and has won multiple awards there. It produces 110kW of power and a modest 350Nm of torque, which means a manual 1.9-litre D-Max can tow up to 2,800kg, while an automatic will haul up to 3,000kg. The payload for an SX single-cab chassis is an impressive 1,405kg.
The 1.9-litre is found in the SX single-cab chassis as a 4x2. Isuzu indicates the 7.0L/100km combined fuel economy and large 76-litre tank means this ute could travel nearly 1,000km before needing a fill-up.
With a price of $31,200, it offers excellent value for money.
6 new trim/body style variants
There are 6 new body/tray and trim combinations for the 2022 Isuzu D-Max range, resulting in a line-up that is highly adaptable for each buyer's needs.
These include the aforementioned 1.9-litre SX as well as the following:
- SX space-cab chassis 4x2 automatic. This combination of space cab (which other ute makers call king or extra cab) and a chassis for fitting a tray might appeal to those who need secure tool storage, but the ability to carry bulk or building materials. The space cabs also have a bench seat for rear passengers, though car reviewers suggest they aren't the most comfortable for adult occupants. You access the back of the cab through rear-hinged wing doors. The steel (or alloy, depending on which you choose) tray retains a very practical length – 2,100mm to be exact.
- 2 new crew-cab chassis models. Isuzu responded to buyer comments and has introduced 2 new mid-tier crew-cab chassis D-Max variants. These are available as either an LS-M or an LS-U. These models have seating for 5, a 1.8-metre steel or alloy tray and a locking rear diff. Isuzu points out that the 2 crew-cab chassis models are perfectly suited for tradies who need to carry heavy loads in the tray (of which there are 5 options on offer) and still ferry passengers around in comfort. The LS-M has 17-inch alloys, while the LS-U has 18-inch, 2-tone wheels. The LS-U has a larger 9-inch infotainment touch display.
- LSU-U+. See above. The LS-U+ squeezes into the gap between the LSU-U it's based on and what Isuzu calls its "flagship" model, the X-TERRAIN.
2022 Isuzu D-Max: Pricing and availability
The 2022 Isuzu D-Max goes on sale from 1 December 2021. The 1.9-litre SX will follow later at the start of 2022 (January is mentioned).
Recommended Retail pricing (RRP) is as follows:
|Model||Recommended Retail pricing (RRP)|
|SX single-cab chassis, 1.9-litre diesel, 4x2 manual||$31,200 (special drive-away price listed as $29,990)|
|SX single-cab chassis, 1.9-litre diesel, 4x2 auto||$33,200|
|SX single-cab chassis, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x2 manual||$33,200|
|SX single-cab chassis, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x2 auto||$35,200|
|SX space-cab chassis, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x2 auto||$38,700|
|SX crew-cab chassis, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x2 auto||$41,700|
|SX crew-cab ute, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x2 auto||$42,900|
|LS-U crew-cab ute, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x2 auto||$51,400|
|SX single-cab chassis, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 manual||$41,200|
|SX single-cab chassis, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 auto||$43,200|
|SX space-cab chassis, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 manual||$44,700|
|SX space-cab chassis, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 auto||$46,700|
|SX crew-cab chassis, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 manual||$47,700|
|SX crew-cab chassis, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 auto||$49,700|
|LS-M crew-cab chassis, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 auto||$52,800|
|LS-U crew-cab chassis, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 auto||$58,200|
|SX crew-cab ute, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 auto||$50,900|
|LS-M crew-cab ute, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 manual||$52,000|
|LS-M crew-cab ute, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 auto||$54,000|
|LS-U space-cab ute, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 auto||$56,400|
|LS-U crew-cab ute, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 manual||$57,400|
|LS-U crew-cab ute, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 auto||$59,400|
|LS-U+ crew-cab ute, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 auto||$61,900|
|X-TERRAIN crew-cab ute, 3.0-litre diesel, 4x4 auto||$65,900 (special drive-away price listed as $62,990)|
Solid "Mineral" white is the only no-cost paint option. The rest are priced at $500.
Isuzu has listened to customers, making previously unavailable trim/body/chassis D-Max combinations a reality, added some welcome tech and equipment to key D-Max models and developed a budget-friendly entry-level D-Max.
Our comprehensive ute reviews help you save time by combining multiple expert reviews into one concise summary. When buying a new or used ute, always compare car loans and car insurance – you could save hundreds of dollars.