Ford announces 2020 ST Focus details
Ford's 2020 Focus ST will feature heaps of new tech and performance features.
Based on the existing Focus platform, the new Ford Focus will feature (among other things) an automatic paddle shift gearbox. Here's the scoop.
What's new on the 2020 Focus ST?
Ford engineers have been busy. The list of new features, revisions and improvements is vast:
- Built in Germany, the 2020 ST will have the most powerful engine ever dropped into an ST line model. The turbocharged 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine creates an impressive 206kW of power and 420Nm of torque. Helping to keep this brute of an engine in check are technologies that eradicate torque steer.
- This is the first Ford Focus ST with the option of an auto transmission. The auto gearbox has seven gears and electronically optimised gearshift timings. Buyers can also opt for a six-speed manual box with optional rev-matching borrowed from the Mustang.
- Designers have dramatically changed the look of the ST with special front grilles, side skirts and an integrated rear wing.
- The ST sits 10mm lower than a standard Focus and has an elongated wheelbase with reduced overhangs. The suspension damping is refined to improve grip and handling.
- Oversized and brightly coloured dual-piston callipers grab onto jumbo brake discs, increasing braking force and reducing fade by as much as four times.
- The infotainment system has an 8.0-inch touchscreen, Ford's SYNC 3 and smartphone connectivity. 10 Bang and Olufsen sourced speakers will fill the cabin with crystal clear audio. There's even a built-in satnav and reversing camera.
- Opting for the Performance Pack enables Launch Control, gear shift lights and a track mode. Ford also incorporates specific modes for slippery conditions, a sports configuration and a regular setting. The system monitors eight different onboard systems and adjusts them accordingly.
- The hot hatch is shod with wide Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres.
- Recaro seats with ST badge embroidery help keep the passengers in place.
- Ford is using rapid response technologies like an electronically limited slip diff and Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD) that transform the ST from a relaxed road car to a razor sharp performance vehicle with the push of a button.
- The Ford Performance director stated that discoveries from the Ford GT supercar project went into the hot hatch.
- Based on Ford's C2 platform.
Building on Ford's hot hatch heritage
According to Ford's Australia and New Zealand CEO, Kay Hart, the concept for the 2020 model was clear from the start and that the new model had to live up to Ford's legendary hot hatch pedigree.
"Local enthusiasts have made it clear that there's a desire for highly engaging performance hatches. The all-new Focus ST builds on a tradition of legendary hot hatches, and will deliver an exhilarating driving experience as the latest model from Ford Performance," Hart said.
An exciting car for any petrolhead
The combination of applied electronic wizardry and Ford's years of experience building performance models is enough to get any petrolhead hankering to have a go behind the wheel. We'll try to get one for a hands-on review.
Recent car reviews
- Toyota Corolla Review
- Subaru Impreza 2019 Review
- Kia Cerato 2019 Review
- 2019 Mazda3 review
- Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2019 Review
Picture: Ford Australia