10 things you never knew were covered by travel insurance
Do you like to live on the edge? 10 surprising activities covered by your travel insurance.
Aussies are an adventure loving bunch and while there is an assumption that travel insurance won't cover you for "riskier" activities, there are some travel insurance brands that do provide cover for adventure sports.
In response to the increasing popularity of adventure destinations, InsureandGo put together a list of travel activities from around the world that, provided you have the right cover, you will be covered for:
- Abseiling. Does your holiday involve you traversing a rock wall? You're covered, so long as you're fully harnessed.
- Battle re-enactment. Are you planning on re-enacting the Battle of Gettysburg or storm the beaches of Normandy? No problem, so long as there are no live firearms ... of course.
- Breathing observation bubble diving. Half seahorse, half Water World submariner, you're cover for using these bright yellow scooter, which allow you to zip about five metres beneath the water's surface.
- Bungee jumping. Are you ready to take your leap from the lion's head? Travel insurance will generally cover you for bungee jumping so long as it's licensed.
- Mud buggying. Think of it as off-road Go Karting and it's covered.
- Ostrich riding. One of the strangest of all adventure activities, ostrich riding is covered so long as you’re not racing.
- Paintball. As long as you're wearing the required protective gear, including eye protection, you can be your own soldier of fortune and be covered by your travel insurance policy.
- Parasailing. Are you planning on taking in the picturesque lagoons of Fiji or the Maldives as you glide above the water? Don't worry, you're covered for parasailing.
- Quad biking. Two-wheeled transport is commonplace in counties such as Thailand and so are quads. Much like the ostriches, as long as you're not racing, you're covered.
- Safari. If you're heading to South Africa you can experience all of the natural beauty a safari has to offer knowing that you're covered by you travel insurance should anything go wrong.
Want to go on an extended adventure holiday? If so, a backpackers travel insurance policy might be the right policy for you. Backpackers policies, such as the one offered by InsureandGo, can provide you with cover for activities ranging from skydiving to rock climbing and even mountain biking. Best of all, a backpackers travel insurance policy wan provide you with continuous cover for up to 18 months.